PDA

View Full Version : Racing an AI FOX Mustang... Lessons

marshall_mosty
09-03-2013, 08:08 PM
All,
The main issues I've seen so far going back to 2004...

Issue: Sticking it out with a stock T-5 tranny. I've managed to get 7-8 events out of them before they go "pop".
Resolution: Upgraded to an Astro A-5 gearset

Issue: Running a fuel pump with no A/F ratio sensor. Ran lean at MSR-H in Jan 2012 and popped my new stroker motor
Resolution: Bought a A/F ratio and ensured it matched the dyno.

Issue: Engine overheating.
Resolution: Put a gutted thermostat in the car. Free flow was fine for a 300HP 302, but ran the water too fast for the 325HP 331.

Issue: Torque arm bushing failure (Griggs)
Resolution: Remove the bushing and bolt the T/A directly to the crossmember. Does cause a bit of axle hop, but that's manageable.

Issue: Clutch cable failures
Resolution: Wrap clutch cable in aluminum foil tape, put heat wrap over that. Built a heat shield from 0.100 aluminum and bolted it to the bellhousing to shield the clutch cable closest to the headres

Issue: Hub failures (not mine, but Michael's)
Resolution: Check freeplay before each event. Start with regreased new units using AmsOil racing grease.

Issue: Misc electrical gremlins (circa 2006)
Resolution: Replace 17 year old writing with painless harness

Issue: Rear upper and lower torque box failures (not mine, but Michael's)
Resolution: Weld in reinforcement plates BEFORE it's an issue.

cjlmlml
09-04-2013, 12:57 PM
#9 Pick a different platform to begin with.

MikeP99Z
09-04-2013, 06:22 PM
#9 Pick a different platform to begin with.

Yeah, an S197.

AI#97
09-04-2013, 08:01 PM
Yeah, an S197.

Nah. 4th gen Camaro at 3000# post race.

When HP/WT and tire width/compound are fixed...aero drag and braking advantages will win every time. However, having an SN99 and a 4th gen in the garage...I think I'll still take my SN99. Can't wait to put it on track next Friday for some more testing!

Good notes Marshall!