PDA

View Full Version : NASA TX 2014 Schedule

Fbody383
10-17-2013, 11:35 AM
In the Texas section on the NASA forum; get the vacation (and your friend's wedding moved) on the calendar:

Still waiting for a date confirmation at NOLA..... Everything else is confirmed.

January 18-19 MSR Houston

February 15-16 Barber Motorsports Park (non points with MS, SE and NOLA regions)

March 8-9 MSR Cresson

April 25-27 Texas World Speedway

May ?? NOLA Motorsports Park

June 21-22 Hallett Motor Raceway

October 11-12 Texas World Speedway

November 1-2 Eagles Canyon Raceway

ShadowBolt
10-17-2013, 03:25 PM
In the Texas section on the NASA forum; get the vacation (and your friend's wedding moved) on the calendar:

Still waiting for a date confirmation at NOLA..... Everything else is confirmed.

February 15-16 Barber Motorsports Park (non points with MS, SE and NOLA regions)

March 8-9 MSR Cresson

May ?? NOLA Motorsports Park

Didn't we used to run Hallett in the first or second weekend in June?

JJ

Fbody383
10-17-2013, 03:48 PM
Didn't we used to run Hallett in the first or second weekend in June? Yes; until this year it had been around the 10th-12th as I remember.

AllZWay
10-17-2013, 04:29 PM
Didn't we used to run Hallett in the first or second weekend in June?

JJ

I sure wish we could get it back to being the first of June.

ShadowBolt
10-18-2013, 09:34 AM
I sure wish we could get it back to being the first of June.

I agree. It is hot as Hell at the end of June. I thought Dave said the only reason we ran it so late last year was because he was going to a graduation? I know for a few years it was around the first weekend in June. Then it went to around the middle, then last year almost at the end of June.

JJ

Wade
10-18-2013, 11:42 AM
If it gets any earlier in June, it will be on top if NOLA. That two week turnaround between TWS and NOLA was so bad last year I decided not to go. This is looking like a similar deal... Seven races in 12 months, but four of those races are in 4 months? It's Texas. Get over the heat and spread the schedule out a LOT more.

ShadowBolt
10-18-2013, 01:51 PM
Different strokes for different folks.

JJ

ShadowBolt
10-18-2013, 01:55 PM
If it gets any earlier in June, it will be on top if NOLA. That two week turnaround between TWS and NOLA was so bad last year I decided not to go. This is looking like a similar deal... Seven races in 12 months, but four of those races are in 4 months? It's Texas. Get over the heat and spread the schedule out a LOT more.

Not only is the heat hard on the fat guys like me but it took 1/3rd of the field out last year. Hallett is a hard place to get a car to run cool even in milder weather. When it's in the 90's a bunch of cars had issues. Now my 4.6 runs at 210 in 100 degrees even at Hallett so that part does not bother me.
I agree the time between races with NOLA is a bitch.

JJ

Wade
10-18-2013, 02:29 PM
Fine with me. Move Hallett to the first week of June and do NOLA in late July, or August, or September. See that HUGE three month window with no races? (nationals doesn't count...no one goes. Or, just drop NOLA. That 7th weekend on the list is a lot of extra $$ and that is the longest haul for nearly everyone no matter what part of Texas you are in. I'll take 100 degrees over cold and wet any day.

Fbody383
10-18-2013, 03:17 PM
That 7th weekend on the list is a lot of extra $$ and that is the longest haul for nearly everyone no matter what part of Texas you are in. Or make 6 races a "full schedule" and adjust the drops up.

Suck fumes
10-18-2013, 03:20 PM
I say replace NOLA with TWS. Be nice to have another local race at a semi big boy track. Better than the Mickey Mouse tracks.

ShadowBolt
10-18-2013, 04:39 PM
I say replace NOLA with TWS. Be nice to have another local race at a semi big boy track. Better than the Mickey Mouse tracks.

I agree with you Aaron. If we are already running TWS twice then maybe Cresson again. NOLA was fun but it is a haul. I think I would rather got run a race with the Colorado guys than make the NOLA trip again.

JJ

Suck fumes
10-18-2013, 04:55 PM
I understand NASA wanting us to run with other regions out of state but its just not practical for most who have limited time to take off. I usually always block a week off for a vacation with the wife and a week off for nationals. I don't have time to drive a full day for just one points race weekend. I don't even think its worth it honestly but that's just my opinion. I would like to see more local events than out of division events.

ShadowBolt
10-18-2013, 07:48 PM
If we ran TWS three times we could run it CCW, CW, and isn't there lots of other configurations the track can be run in? I know for me the difference between CCW and CW is like two completely different tracks. TWS is closest to the most people. If we ran the track in another configuration it could be like running a different track every time and save everyone a lot of money. I never really thought about this before. I really like Hallett and for me It is worth going once a year. As cool as NOLA is I have to take off at least one day prior (two if I want to do a practice day) and I have to take off the Monday after just to get home. The days off plus the fuel adds up to NOLA being very expensive.

JJ

Suck fumes
10-18-2013, 08:58 PM
Isn't hallet basically the same travel time? But yes TWS has 4 "safe" configurations if you include CCW and CW. I personally love the track and have never been to NOLA but from the videos I've seen it looks like it wouldn't be worth the trip.

edrock96GT
10-18-2013, 10:11 PM
I vote we do Cresson twice. I like small, technical tracks over long front straights. :)

marshall_mosty
10-19-2013, 06:51 AM
I vote we do Cresson twice. I like small, technical tracks over long front straights. :)
So says the lightweight guy with "little" power...

I agree with you Eddie. MSR-C is one of my favorites.

marshall_mosty
10-19-2013, 06:52 AM
Not only is the heat hard on the fat guys like me but...
JJ

Dude, your busting your ass and dropping the weight. No more "fat guy" jokes out of you. Good Job!!

michaelmosty
10-19-2013, 08:41 AM
Fine with me. Move Hallett to the first week of June and do NOLA in late July, or August, or September. See that HUGE three month window with no races? (nationals doesn't count...no one goes. Or, just drop NOLA. That 7th weekend on the list is a lot of extra $$ and that is the longest haul for nearly everyone no matter what part of Texas you are in. I'll take 100 degrees over cold and wet any day.
I completely agree Wade!!! The 7 races this year just felt WAY harder to make them all vs. the previous years 6 races. Clearly the 2-week break b/w TWS and NOLA killed the NOLA car count, along with the super long tow. I think I'll just plan to use 4 drops for the NOLA event.

AI#97
10-19-2013, 08:45 AM

If cresson is run twice, make one weekend the 3.1. Also, hallett can be run both directions and CW was a hoot and a half. The other tws configurations arent great options as the oval is pretty rough and gets boring. We used to do houston twice a year for a while too.

And if nola fell off the earth i would not shed a tear except we might lose Gunter in the fracus. ;)

michaelmosty
10-19-2013, 08:49 AM
Isn't hallet basically the same travel time? But yes TWS has 4 "safe" configurations if you include CCW and CW. I personally love the track and have never been to NOLA but from the videos I've seen it looks like it wouldn't be worth the trip.
NOLA is a super fun track for DE, it just isn't good for racing. There are just so few passing opportunities.

Suck fumes
10-19-2013, 10:12 AM
Ok well lets see if dave will agree to switch NOLA for something else?? Haha. I bet all the other classes would have higher entries if it was local too.

Storm Trooper
10-20-2013, 07:07 PM
Do we have any say in the choice? Does Dave ask our opinions?

Sean

AllZWay
10-21-2013, 07:57 AM
NOLA is a super fun track for DE, it just isn't good for racing. There are just so few passing opportunities.

It has a really fun high speed section, but passing is limited to a few spots under hard braking.

ShadowBolt
10-21-2013, 08:30 AM
It has a really fun high speed section, but passing is limited to a few spots under hard braking.

I wonder how much difference it would be running it CCW? For passing.

Round Rock to Hallett 450

Dallas to Hallett 292

Houston to Hallett 500

Round Rock to NOLA 520

Dallas to NOLA 520

Houston to NOLA 350

The miles are not that much different but Hallett is so worth it and NOLA is much harder to get excited about........for me.

JJ

kbrewmr2
10-21-2013, 08:33 AM
NOLA has post party go karts, Hallett has ...? ;) Other groups like NOLA fwiw, and it's not awful tow for us Houston folk unlike Hallett.

I appreciate that you guys would like to make some changes to the schedule, and you could be more effective if you realize what all goes into scheduling plus get your ideas into Dave earlier in the year while things are still being planned.

ShadowBolt
10-21-2013, 08:38 AM
NOLA has post party go karts, Hallett has ...? ;) Other groups like NOLA fwiw, and it's not awful tow for us Houston folk unlike Hallett.

I appreciate that you guys would like to make some changes to the schedule, and you could be more effective if you realize what all goes into scheduling plus get your ideas into Dave earlier in the year while things are still being planned.

I agree with you Ken. We should have talked to Dave months ago if we had issues with the schedule. Hallett being late in June was talked about last year. Several posted that they liked the first part of June better than the latter part.

JJ

BlueFirePony
10-21-2013, 09:08 AM
NOLA has post party go karts, Hallett has ...? .
Continuous setup and passing from T3-T7, The Bitch. T10-T11.
The Chicken Song.
An opportunity to get RM, Texas and Midwest and SE racers on same track before/in place of Nationals

Did I mention The Bitch?

kbrewmr2
10-21-2013, 09:44 AM
It's not like the tracks are beating down our door begging us to take dates.... I agree with you on the earlier in June thing on Hallett for sure, but there has to be some kinda reason why it didn't move back.

I'm surprised you guys don't have some good back & forth passing opportunities at NOLA between T2 & 3, 3& 4, etc etc until the super fast esses start. Us lower power guys do... ?

Al Fernandez
10-21-2013, 12:51 PM
Does anyone else have complications with Eagle's Canyon and Halloween?

Racebrat
10-21-2013, 01:39 PM

I'm out for ECR this year- my little budding Rock Star daughter has a gig that weekend...

Y'all have fun- and Be Good!!!!

A

Rob Liebbe
10-21-2013, 03:04 PM
I'm out for ECR this year- my little budding Rock Star daughter has a gig that weekend...

Y'all have fun- and Be Good!!!!

A

Where is she playing? What is she palying?

BryanL
10-21-2013, 07:28 PM

Yep. But it's close enough for me I can do both or just come in sat morning. Now if I had a pimp rv maybe I could talk the crew into trick or treating at the track but they will want to be with friends.

Racebrat
10-22-2013, 01:03 PM
Where is she playing? What is she palying?

She is playing guitar and singing at School of Rock (on 2978 just north of Woodlands Parkway). She was asked to be a part of one of their house bands and they play gigs all over the area. Last weekend she played a car show in Porter. I'm not sure where the gig on Nov 2nd is at- I was just told it was scheduled and she needed to be there.

Here she is playing and singing Crazy Train at a previous show:

http://youtu.be/gDcFyQBUzwM

Here she is singing War Pigs at a gig the next day:

http://youtu.be/Ft0jiE_BAy4

Enjoy!

Rob Liebbe
10-24-2013, 02:19 PM
Cool!!! We have a friend who's son is doing a similar thing. He's 11 and is playing guitar, Luke Martin. He also played at Dosey Doe's recently.

Racebrat
10-24-2013, 04:08 PM
Cool!!! We have a friend who's son is doing a similar thing. He's 11 and is playing guitar, Luke Martin. He also played at Dosey Doe's recently.

That's awesome! Does he take lessons at School of Rock too? Dosey Doe's has great acoustics! I'm trying to work a deal to get the 2 house bands to come play for our Saturday night party at MSRH in January

Rob Liebbe
10-26-2013, 08:35 AM
That's awesome! Does he take lessons at School of Rock too? Dosey Doe's has great acoustics! I'm trying to work a deal to get the 2 house bands to come play for our Saturday night party at MSRH in January

Another band for your consideration. http://www.dogpartyband.com/ They played at my "29th" birthday party a "couple" of years ago, outstanding.

David Love AI27
10-27-2013, 08:57 PM
Another band for your consideration. http://www.dogpartyband.com/ They played at my "29th" birthday party a "couple" of years ago, outstanding.

If that was your 29th birthday party, that band would have retired by now...

Racebrat
10-28-2013, 08:53 PM
It's official!!! My kid's band is playing the January Race party at MSRH!! She's stoked to get to play for y'all!!

Rob Liebbe
10-29-2013, 07:35 AM
If that was your 29th birthday party, that band would have retired by now...

"Har Har Hardee Har Har!!!!" Ok - now name the actor who I just quoted.

cobra132
10-29-2013, 08:21 AM
?RD?

Rob Liebbe
10-29-2013, 11:22 AM
?RD?

Who's RD? Not the right initials anyway.

ShadowBolt
10-29-2013, 12:27 PM
Jackie Gleason

JJ

GlennCMC70
10-29-2013, 01:14 PM
RD is known. You guys are in good hands.

nasa-rm
10-29-2013, 06:49 PM
Back to answering the earlier June date. I want CR and RM folks to have every opportunity to make the event. Putting it earlier makes it to close to our Topeka crossover on Memorial weekend. I think our AI/CMC entries would drop some (as well as other classes) if too close.

ShadowBolt
10-30-2013, 10:25 AM
Back to answering the earlier June date. I want CR and RM folks to have every opportunity to make the event. Putting it earlier makes it to close to our Topeka crossover on Memorial weekend. I think our AI/CMC entries would drop some (as well as other classes) if too close.

I don't know why but we used to get more RM guys at Hallett when the event was earlier. Maybe the Topeka event was not on the schedule back then. If I remember the number of out of region racers has gone down the last two years since we have moved the race later in the month. I certainly don't think I understand why. If holding the race later in the month gets entries up I'm all for it. I do know cooling the race cars is hard at Hallett. I assume that outside temp makes a big difference but I don't know it for sure.

JJ

nasa-rm
10-30-2013, 11:24 AM
This year a bunch of people went to Miller on that weekend to practice for nationals. Lot of good that did them as Aaron kicked their asses anyways. I think one hit from prior years is that since a majority of RM'ers are in construction they had no $$ to travel. Hopefully that appears to be turning around.

BTW, I need to enter Bryan Curtis, but he's coming down to ECR this weekend with us. I'll run a session or two with my open diff as well.... :)

For 2015 and beyond, we will try to push Hallett back earlier. Or maybe September like we did in 2005??

kbrewmr2
10-30-2013, 11:59 AM
Sept may cut into Nationals though, wasn't a factor in 2005

Suck fumes
10-30-2013, 12:13 PM
Well heck if the CMC showing is going to be this good I may have to run in it on Sunday.

michaelmosty
10-30-2013, 01:13 PM
Well heck if the CMC showing is going to be this good I may have to run in it on Sunday.
Sounds good, I want another shot at the Champ!! :^)
Great to hear Bryan is coming down, the more the merrier!!

Suck fumes
10-30-2013, 01:42 PM
Haha. If you beat me I'll never hear the end of it lol!

David Love AI27
10-31-2013, 11:22 AM
"Har Har Hardee Har Har!!!!" Ok - now name the actor who I just quoted.

To the moon Alice, to the moon..

kbrewmr2
11-06-2013, 06:19 PM
no May NOLA event, might be a different month though - stay tuned to Dave's messages

David Love AI27
11-06-2013, 06:27 PM
I start a new job tomorrow... I passed all tests and checks including driving record... Record reported speeding tickets and no accidents and HR Lady commented that I was a "speeder, but I was safe"... I replied "that's good news, I will add her comments to my High Performance Driving Instructor Resume'"... :rolleyes:

Anyway, back on subject, I will be turning in the 2014 AI/CMC schedule to my new boss for time off.... :evil:

MikeP99Z
11-06-2013, 07:23 PM
Grats !!

nasa-rm
11-07-2013, 10:32 AM
I start a new job tomorrow... I passed all tests and checks including driving record... Record reported speeding tickets and no accidents and HR Lady commented that I was a "speeder, but I was safe"... I replied "that's good news, I will add her comments to my High Performance Driving Instructor Resume'"... :rolleyes:

Anyway, back on subject, I will be turning in the 2014 AI/CMC schedule to my new boss for time off.... :evil:

So back in TX or are you still in NM? If NM, you might as well mix in the RM schedule.

kbrewmr2
11-07-2013, 11:58 AM
from the "National" board - pretty locked in
http://nasaforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=107599&start=30

Bold = TX points

February 15-16 Barber Motorsports Park (MS, SE and NOLA regions)
March 8-9 MSR Cresson
Aug 1-3, Road Africa Nationals Practice (SE Region)
August 29-31 NASA Eastern States Championship at Road Atlanta
Sept 20-21 NOLA Motorsports Park (crossover w MS & NOLA)
November 7-9 NASA Western States Championship at Sonoma Raceway

BlueFirePony
11-08-2013, 01:53 PM
Aug 1-3, Road Africa Nationals Practice (SE Region)
Damn...NASA is multi-continent now?

kbrewmr2
11-08-2013, 02:28 PM
I was wondering who would pick up on that, hahahaaa!

Road Atlanta is africa freakin hot in the summer. As bad / worse than TWS and others here.

ShadowBolt
11-08-2013, 04:08 PM
I was wondering who would pick up on that, hahahaaa!

Road Atlanta is africa freakin hot in the summer. As bad / worse than TWS and others here.

So why a Nationals in August? I really thought about going but sounds like Houston type heat.

JJ

Suck fumes
11-08-2013, 04:50 PM
It's not as bad as Houston but it is hot. Road Atlanta is worth the trip. One of my favorite tracks by far! Better bring big balls though. Most of the turns are very fast on the edge style turns.

kbrewmr2
11-11-2013, 09:26 AM
So why a Nationals in August? I really thought about going but sounds like Houston type heat.

JJ

As I've said about 1,000 times now: "scheduling at any track is a bitch, but especially in demand tracks it's a mega bitch, especially if you aren't the top man on the totem pole (pro racing)"

late August can be on the beggining of fall side of things thankfully. Aug 1 - yeah, Africa hot. Same as here.

If you can do well on high speed blind corners with little to no margin for error you'll be fast there. Bring your big boy panties :)