View Full Version : Awesome video!!!!!

Suck fumes
11-15-2013, 12:05 AM
http://youtu.be/tGoB_o6q7-U

Road Atlanta at its finest!

AI#97
11-15-2013, 06:35 PM
did you catch that on the rear view camera that when another corvette is in the view, it has a colored Corvette emblem above the car? Green for gaining, red for falling back. Also, love the blue lights for Traction control and red for ABS kicking in. An AMAZING amount of electronics in that car! LOVE it!

Suck fumes
11-15-2013, 06:51 PM
Yah and when it's a competitor it has a yellow arrow haha. Pretty amazing data system!

BlueFirePony
11-16-2013, 12:20 AM
... An AMAZING amount of electronics in that car! LOVE it!
Currently prototyping a similar system on BFP that Kyri will be using next year. Includes multi-point balance info, brake temp, tire temp, support for multiple cameras, driver comfort controls etc. with pretty cool cockpit control system and real-time car <-> pit telemetry. Plays a little like an arcade game...OK, a LOT like an arcade game :) Also be able to stream everything to/from the track to me at home since I won't be making most of the Midwest events.

kbrewmr2
11-18-2013, 12:19 PM
real-time car <-> pit telemetry
be careful that it's allowed per CCRs & class rules...

edrock96GT
11-19-2013, 10:12 AM
be careful that it's allowed per CCRs & class rules...

It's American Iron. If it doesn't say you can't, then you can. :)

7.10.2 All data acquisition devices are allowed.

7.10.4 Any device installed in AI vehicles which is capable of modifying engine ignition timing, fuel
delivery, air flow, boost, or other parameters that can modify engine performance (HP and/or TQ
beyond the dyno certification) must be non-adjustable during competition.

kbrewmr2
11-19-2013, 11:48 AM
data aquisition is different than telemetry

BlueFirePony
11-19-2013, 02:41 PM
Yep.

7.10.4 Any device installed in AI vehicles which is capable of modifying engine ignition timing, fuel
delivery, air flow, boost, or other parameters that can modify engine performance (HP and/or TQ
beyond the dyno certification) must be non-adjustable during competition.

The system is completely modular and none of the control systems affect engine, chassis, or aero performance, at this time. Essentially nothing that will take control away from the driver or modify the car's performance at any time.

All of the control systems are isolated, buffered and audited (by the master control system) so that they can be turned off or completely removed from the car individually without affecting the operation of the other systems - so, for example, after dyno they can be sealed. Each control system can be turned into a one-way car-> pit through software or if necessary by pulling it's telemetry component in which case the master system will just funnel data to the pit.

The diagnostic system(s) (there are four: chassis/steering, aero, engine/brake/driveline, competition/admin) are one-way and read current settings but make no changes. So, for example, the system reads info off CAN bus but does not update - reads brake temp, bias etc. but makes no changes, reads balance data from the chassis sensors but does not affect.

The diagnostic systems do save data locally in the event that telemetry is not available or needed. The telemetry system itself is not terribly expensive (well in hardware...lots of design and development involved)...most of the cost is the sensors.

The driver comfort system is one way (just pulls off the settings the driver has set for the air flow, cooling temp, etc.)

The safety control system is 2-way and uses a double challenge to keep from inadvertenty triggering the fire suppression or master kill switch, for example. It is there in the event the driver (God forbid) is ever unable to activate the system.

The AV system is 2-way and allows control of any camera's fulcrum (if equipped) and can currently stream one camera (could stream more but the transmitters are expensive) at a time.

The admin system is two way - it is used for setting thresholds for the other systems and reporting back status but does not "see" any of the sensors of controllable items itself.

In our car we are replacing the OEM cluster with an 11" screen.
Screen defaults to a "performance" view that shows a simple set of key info - tire temp, brake temp, gear, throttle, brake, lap time, etc). Actually this one is going to be customizable because Kyri and I disagree on what and how to present the info - I like graphical rep and Kyri wants just a few numbers - so it will be changeable - key point is that what the driver WANTS to see is there.

Driver can select other info groups if needed with a touch of a button (e.g. map view, detailed tire/brake info, etc.).
Input is currently via a set of large arcade style buttons (big enough for wearing gloves and durable) that can be dynamically lit.

If anyone is interested I plan to offer this as a product - I was thinking of making it available to this group at cost of hardware. Might need a few testers next year as well once we get it fully baked.

edrock96GT
11-19-2013, 03:04 PM

I crtl F'd telemetry in the AI rules and "Reader has finished searching the document. No matches found."

Like I said, in AI, if it doesn't say you can't, then you can. I love it! :D

BlueFirePony
11-19-2013, 03:58 PM
I crtl F'd telemetry in the AI rules and "Reader has finished searching the document. No matches found."

Like I said, in AI, if it doesn't say you can't, then you can. I love it! :D
I have a special "Sgt Rock" edition planned for you my friend :)

kbrewmr2
11-19-2013, 06:17 PM
might want to do the same with the main CCRs

BlueFirePony
11-19-2013, 06:35 PM
might want to do the same with the main CCRs
I have, several times, over the last few years. I am not aware of any rule that our system violates but if anyone has a different opinion please let me know.
(Edit: I do see that TT rules prohibit telemetry - interesting that it references NASA CCR 18.7 that does not apparently exist in the CCR; SCCA specifically prohibits it - at any rate I should qualify that our system can be rule-compliant if telemetry is prohibited; frankly the data acq is where the cool sauce is anyway and the telemetry can be used for real cheatin' bastard sessions )

I started to build this system after 2011, in particular to provide a coaching platform for Kyri and with an intent to never ever have what happened at ECR ever happen again. This system would have told me LONG before the brake failure.

From there it got to considering a performance advantage from understanding exactly where my tires and brakes were related to temp, pressure, and performance (braking distance against peddle %) and how the setup was actually working vs my butt-o-meter.

If nothing else, we can always use it on track days to improve driving skill and car setup. :)

edrock96GT
11-20-2013, 12:33 AM
- interesting that it references NASA CCR 18.7 that does not apparently exist in the CCR...

That's funny right there. Now that I know where Ken's concern came from, but it appears all the TTers got fleeced...

I find it interesting that the CCR would even have any say in anything related to power/performance/aero/etc. when that is the prerogative of the individual class, but going over the CCR again I see that it doesn't...which makes sense. Even with safety, the AI rules say that where there is a conflict, AI rules supersede the CCR.

kbrewmr2
11-20-2013, 09:13 AM
PT, ST, SU as well - maybe it's Greenbaum's fault? :lol:

rules are funny sometimes - any rules

BlueFirePony
11-20-2013, 10:02 PM
PT, ST, SU as well - maybe it's Greenbaum's fault?

rules are funny sometimes - any rules
For anyone interested, word from HQ is that the TT rules are referencing a section that was removed and the NASA CCR does not restrict telemetry. Outside of TT they are not aware of any restrictions.
I consider the safety/communications components we are building to be a positive addition to the racing scene so hopefully the TT rules can be relaxed.

RichardP
11-21-2013, 12:04 AM
interesting that it references NASA CCR 18.7 that does not apparently exist in the CCR

Here is what 18.7 used to say if anyone is interested:

18.7 Data Acquisition Systems
This section applies to all classes, unless otherwise specified by class rules. Data
acquisition is unrestricted. Telemetry is not allowed. Telemetry is the transmission of
data by means of a radio signal. Transmission of voice and/ or video is permitted. Note-
Class rules supersede all sections of the CCR, including this one.

Richard P.

BlueFirePony
11-21-2013, 11:17 AM
Here is what 18.7 used to say if anyone is interested:

18.7 Data Acquisition Systems
This section applies to all classes, unless otherwise specified by class rules. Data
acquisition is unrestricted. Telemetry is not allowed. Telemetry is the transmission of
data by means of a radio signal. Transmission of voice and/ or video is permitted. Note-
Class rules supersede all sections of the CCR, including this one.

Richard P.

Thanks Richard. I've been out of town and was going to check my archives this weekend when I got home....I thought I recalled that language but I wanted to check with HQ anyway to make sure it was not a mistake.