PDA

View Full Version : Sears / Craftsman Rant

Rob Liebbe
12-06-2013, 08:31 AM
I think we all know that Craftsman tools aren't what they used to be, but at least we can still depend on the warranty on the hand tools, right? My 1/4" ratchet finally bit the dust so I thought I'd take it to the local Sears Hardware for an exchange. I go to the counter and tell the girl that it is broken and I want to exchange it. She takes my ratchet, which looked practically new, behind another counter and I can hear her digging around. She comes back with my ratchet in one hand and another beat up, scratched up piece of junk that looked like someone had been dragging across concrete for three years and said "here you go". WTF. I told her that this replacement was a used piece and that it looked like crap compared to mine. She said we "refurbish" them. I told her I didn't want a used ratchet as a replacement that I wanted a new one. She says "OK, go get one from the shelf". I did so and she exchanged for a new one without any more trouble. Be aware of this practice and insist on proper replacements. Sears has finally driven me away from buying from them again. You can find the same product elsewhere under a different brand for less money made in the same China factory. I'll be looking for new tool supplier.

Pranav
12-06-2013, 08:59 AM
Interesting, the last time I had a ratchet go bad, I brought it in to the store and the employee rebuilt it right there on the spot. I guess in your case they're just doing it bulk and keeping them on hand.

I've had pretty good experience with the Sears Hardware on Louetta/Kuykendahl, go there next time.

As far as Craftsman, I've learned the hard way not to buy their torque wrenches and jacks, ugh...

Suck fumes
12-06-2013, 09:28 AM
You may change your mind about sears when you have a socket explode in your face from an impact gun haha. I quit buying Chinese stuff and started finding used snap on and matco tools as they also come with a lifetime warranty and are cheaper 2nd hand. They never break very often anyway so the warranty rarely gets used.

ShadowBolt
12-06-2013, 09:45 AM
What happened to Mac Tools? I have a roll cab and top box from them along with half of my hand tools. Snap-On was too high(back in the 70's) and Matco was not as high quality as Snap-On or Mac. I never see Mac Tools trucks anymore. I guess they went under.

JJ

GlennCMC70
12-06-2013, 10:55 AM
I too stopped buying Crapsman. For the money, Lowes and Northern Tool stuff is pretty good. Much cheaper.

Fbody383
12-06-2013, 11:14 AM
...started finding used snap on and matco tools as they also come with a lifetime warranty and are cheaper 2nd hand. Or old american Craftsman if you can find it use. I'll never buy another Matco tool though. Interesting the perspectives.

HERE YOU GO
(http://www.ultimategarage.com/shop/part.php?cPath=35_981&products_id=5437)

Dulaney
12-06-2013, 11:16 AM
Kobalt (from Lowes) has very nice stuff. A Kobalt black-tipped Phillips screwdriver will hold better and last longer than anything I have from Sears. I quit buying Husky (home Depot) when I noticed a set of flare wrenches were expanding when I was trying to use them. I used to love Craftsman (and worked for Sears while I was in college), but everything is over priced, and too far away. I can exchange broken stuff at Lowes, which is 1 mile away. Still go to Sears for the occasional odd-ball tool that Lowes doesn't carry.

Suck fumes
12-06-2013, 12:02 PM
MAC is still around I have some of their stuff too. They are good quality as well.

nasa-rm
12-06-2013, 12:03 PM
Who has reasonable priced stuff, but in big sets like craftsman?

Suck fumes
12-06-2013, 12:22 PM
If your not going to invest in the good American tools, the next best thing is kobalt. But honestly if you use them a lot like I used to when I was at Lexus, the higher end stuff is 10x better. The snap on wrenches fit a LOT tighter on bolts and don't flex like all the other cheap stuff.

GlennCMC70
12-06-2013, 12:29 PM
Who has reasonable priced stuff, but in big sets like craftsman?

Lowes and Northern have some pretty good starter kits.