PDA

View Full Version : Tired of slacking….data acquisition ?s

caffecapri
12-26-2013, 01:48 AM
Ok, I have been running at the bottom of the mid-pack slackers (and sometimes below )for two years now. I know Wade and I have a disadvantage running half the races each, but I still feel I need to be progressing more. I have researched a bit of the data acquisition systems (budget ones - AIM, Gtech, Traqmate) and the consensus is for the best bang for the buck, buy what your buddies are running so you can compare data with them.

I don't want to analyze hours upon hours. I don't want to install and learn how to use software. I would love plug in, get in, drive, review (maybe even while driving per lap or section of track) and repeat. Easy is my mantra. See if I can get in corner faster, come out faster, immediate lap time results, etc.

What is everyone's experience and what do you use?

Thank you all.
Rami

ShadowBolt
12-26-2013, 09:06 AM
Ok, I have been running at the bottom of the mid-pack slackers (and sometimes below )for two years now. I know Wade and I have a disadvantage running half the races each, but I still feel I need to be progressing more. I have researched a bit of the data acquisition systems (budget ones - AIM, Gtech, Traqmate) and the consensus is for the best bang for the buck, buy what your buddies are running so you can compare data with them.

I don't want to analyze hours upon hours. I don't want to install and learn how to use software. I would love plug in, get in, drive, review (maybe even while driving per lap or section of track) and repeat. Easy is my mantra. See if I can get in corner faster, come out faster, immediate lap time results, etc.

Thank you all.
Rami

I bought the Traqmate two years ago thinking the same as you are. I assumed Jay would do the "work" part and analyze the data as I am not computer literate. We played with it a few times but now it's just a lap timer. Kellam had the same unit and he helped us one day. He was shocked how little difference there was between his fastest laps and ours. There were even a few places that Jay or I was faster than he was (only a few). I don't think anyone else in CMC is running any data system. You are welcome to look at our data but I think you were looking for Trophy Queen data and I don't know that anyone in Texas has any.

JJ

AI#97
12-26-2013, 10:51 AM
I suggest the traqmate with the interface to control a GoPro camera. It's the most common system with data and SUPPORT available, is portable and can be shared by millions, has the most accurate S/F location and track data, and can fairly easily make videos with your data overlaid on the screen.

It ain't cheap but it works and is fairly easy to pick up the software and run with it. Stay away from AIM and G2X. Those are painful. GTECH is a gimmick and doesn't do much for "analysis" other than lap times.

Suck fumes
12-26-2013, 11:09 AM
I've used traqmate for 7 years and have no complaints. They always come out with a newer version of their stuff every year but I just stuck with the old school model and it works great for live data timing etc. Shows you live if you're faster or slower than your fastest time and by how much. That's a good tool as you can try diff shifting techniques or lines and know immediately if it's faster. I talked a friend of mine who was faster than me on a corner at the 2009 runoffs into letting me overlay my lap with his. Showed me what I was doing differently and I changed it for the race and beat him for a spot on the podium LOL!! So it does work if you know how to use it.

ShadowBolt
12-26-2013, 11:52 AM
I've used traqmate for 7 years and have no complaints. They always come out with a newer version of their stuff every year but I just stuck with the old school model and it works great for live data timing etc. Shows you live if you're faster or slower than your fastest time and by how much. That's a good tool as you can try diff shifting techniques or lines and know immediately if it's faster. I talked a friend of mine who was faster than me on a corner at the 2009 runoffs into letting me overlay my lap with his. Showed me what I was doing differently and I changed it for the race and beat him for a spot on the podium LOL!! So it does work if you know how to use it.

I'm sure it works I just don't know how to use it.

JJ

BlueFirePony
12-29-2013, 08:02 PM

Thank you all.
Rami
The hours upon hours part is what we are planning to address with the system we are building. That and provide a slew of additional features that just don't readily exist on the market today.
We will have data import/export capability so you can "ghost" other data into our analysis system for comparisons. Spent some time with Kyri and my bro-in-law over Christmas talking details...gonna be a hoot putting this system in various cars for testing in March!! If any of you see a missing capability in systems you have or are looking at, let me know - might be worth designing into our package!

Storm Trooper
12-29-2013, 10:09 PM
The hours upon hours part is what we are planning to address with the system we are building. That and provide a slew of additional features that just don't readily exist on the market today.
We will have data import/export capability so you can "ghost" other data into our analysis system for comparisons. Spent some time with Kyri and my bro-in-law over Christmas talking details...gonna be a hoot putting this system in various cars for testing in March!! If any of you see a missing capability in systems you have or are looking at, let me know - might be worth designing into our package!

I am looking for a system. I would rather invest in yours then some other system. Let me know?
Sean

BlueFirePony
12-29-2013, 10:52 PM
I am looking for a system. I would rather invest in yours then some other system. Let me know?
Sean
Sean, we can probably loop you in on the March/April testing if you want and we can go from there. That would probably max us out for testers for the on track tests. PM me your phone number and I'll get back to you in the next few weeks for an overview.
If the tests go well we can build one-off systems for the testers that may want one - my expectation is we'd offer it at cost to build - should come in VERY attractive $-wise. We are going to test several configurations ranging from fully loaded to DAQ only to A/V only so I suspect we can build something each tester will want.

Oh, and my oldest son has agreed to man the smokers for those weekends so even non-testers should get something they like. :)

kbrewmr2
12-30-2013, 09:48 AM
There are some good books and even some good free info out there (use google) to interpret what those squiggly lines are telling you.

Spending a little money on a driver coach to help you not only drive faster but also teach you to interpret the data yourself is also something to consider.

AI#97
12-30-2013, 05:09 PM
There are some good books and even some good free info out there (use google) to interpret what those squiggly lines are telling you.

Spending a little money on a driver coach to help you not only drive faster but also teach you to interpret the data yourself is also something to consider.

Yep. I sat right seat with Jander a couple weekends ago and should have charged him for it! LOL!

blk96gt
12-30-2013, 05:28 PM
You mean gracing you with my presence wasn't payment enough??