PDA

View Full Version : Houston area exhaust shop

Alien
12-30-2013, 01:27 PM
Anybody have a recommendation for a good muffler shop that will work on a racecar with no cats? Not looking for high end, top of the line muffler with mandrel bends type of work, just someone who listens and will do what I want. I don't mind paying good money for good work.

First build, I dragged it around to a few places that refused since it didn't have cats. Ended up at a "race" shop who cost a lot to do a crappy job. Took it to two other places (in Bryan) to get it patched up better. Then the LT1 went in a few years ago and had to get it all redone. Found a cheap place that did cheap work. The 'Y' is a joke, cracked once already due to insufficent hangers/binding (and fixed at Hallett), and the worst of it is it's such a PITA to R&R since it's all one welded piece.

TIA

kbrewmr2
12-30-2013, 02:16 PM
Ripley's Muffler did my mandrel/stainless catback setup but they're equipped to handle nearly everything afaik. I was happy with the price and alllmost all the work (one weld they could've cleaned up after themselves a little bit better). They were great to work with, understood "race car" and race car usage / durability needs, and didn't give me much if any guff about the car besides needing a V8 - perfect for y'alls cars hahaha!

2302 W FM1960
Houston, TX 77068

281-444-3885

On the north side of town a small handfull of miles off I-45, south of Woodlands type area.

rleng1
12-30-2013, 08:31 PM
Ridleys is good but pricey. Try Tomball Brake and Muffler on FM2920, just east of hwy 249 on the north side of the street.
They will work on it w/o cats if it comes on a trailer and no inspection sticker on the windshield. Charged me $100 for my work, whereby Ripleys wanted $300.

Pranav
12-31-2013, 12:40 AM
Cant say enough good things about Ripleys. My Y pipe was done by some joker in Bryan, finished it off at TWS; ripleys cut it out and did a new piece for ~$100. Been going there since for random welding stuff; as long as you explain what you want, they will deliver it. I actually did a crush bend on my pipe and it came out great.

Did Norm's Subaru straight back in 2008, great mandrel bends tool

Rob Liebbe
12-31-2013, 03:08 PM
Tomball Muffler did some work on my old race car. It was inexpensive and never had any problems with it. The only warning is that their lift/ramp can be hard on low slung airdams. Let me know if you come up this way, I'll try to come visit.

kbrewmr2
01-02-2014, 09:18 AM
good, fast, cheap - pick two in most cases with anything in life. Machine shops and Muffler shops it seems like you can really only pick one or one and a half, heh!

Alien
01-02-2014, 03:29 PM
Thanks fellers, and I completely agree Ken.

Looks like I'm headin up north this Saturday. I'll give you a call, Rob.

Pranav
01-02-2014, 04:19 PM
Come by and say hi, I'm one traffic light down the street