PDA

View Full Version : Radio poll

micah
03-28-2006, 03:33 PM
I would be fine with a set up that receives only. I have a FCC lic. {job requirement} if we need one for purchasing or using a system that would be strong enough to be useful @ the bigger tracks.

jeffburch
03-29-2006, 02:23 PM
I like CW's receive only proposition.
Maybe something like the Legends cars use.
http://www.raceceiver.com/legends%5Fv2/purchase.aspx

Whatever, I hope SOMEONE SOMEWHERE is doing something.
I have my ear buds and scanner. I just need to know where
Clifton is in the radio spectrum. Can you hear me Obe Won?

jb

Boudy
03-29-2006, 04:09 PM
Have no fear. I am working on a solution. I spoke with Tony yesterday and Brady this morning to make sure I would'nt be stepping on toes. I'll have a solution to propose sortly.

Yes, the entry level option will be recieve only by the driver. The first step, however, would be get NASA equiped with radios to XMIT from.

Boudy

Nick
03-29-2006, 07:57 PM
Will this receive a NASA broadcast as well as allow each racer to receive from their spotter?

mitchntx
03-29-2006, 08:14 PM
Some things I would want ...

A dedicated channel for me to use, whether it be car to car or car to pits or both.

A dedicated channel that would recieve emergency broadcasts. No other chatter. It get annoying really fast when folks spin yarns back and forth while I'm trying to concentrate on track. and this channel would over-ride any private channel I might be on.

Boudy
03-29-2006, 10:03 PM
Guys. I've been talking to Tony at the CMC level. However, in the coming days I will be contacting NASA. A solution that truely works and meets all of our needs has to start at the NASA level.

Here's what I mean:

First and foremost, NASA would need a broadcast channel.(CAUTION IN TURN 4...) NASA doesn't want to chat to us, just inform us of the dangerous. Since it takes 5 watts at UHF to truely cover the larger tracks with hills, they'll need a licensed frequency at each track. You won't need a license to buy a scanner or radio to monitor this broadcast. Monitoring this channel (some series have made it mandatory) can be done as inexpensive as a $70 scanner. Raceceivers are $89 and Unidens are $70. Then you'll need decent helmet buds for another $70 or a cheap helmet kit for around $40. First priority could cost a driver from $100 to $150.

Secondly, a driver may choose to purchase radios to monitor with and also communicate with his crew or other cars. These rados range from $200 to $400 each and still require helmet kit, car harness, and crew headset. That's why these radio kits cost $700 and up. They also require you to have liscensed frequencies and that is where something easy turns into a pain in the tailpipe. It is also where really strong planning now can save everyone trouble and frustration later. That's the part I'm focusing on. If I can convince the right folks to listen now, it will grease the skids for everyone later.

The cheap FRS radios are too limited for us to use. With licensing we would have 22 channels. Without licensing, we would have 7 channels. Either way, we could easily run out of channels for NASA and teams. Also, 7 of the 22 are low power. Hense, no license to use them.

My goal is to get this all set up and then organize a group purchase plan so that guys can get what they need/want as affordable as possible.

Boudy

jeffburch
03-29-2006, 10:30 PM
RB, your posts on this subject are almost verbatim of my past posts.
Do a search on the nat'l cmc forum if ya haven't.
All are still on the frs/gmrs bandwagon.
Back then it was "but it has 133 channels".

First there was a no radio rule because of the expence involved.
Then they abolished that rule because they ran 2 cars on frs in the enduro.

You're making better headway than I did though.

Good luck and thanks,

jb

Boudy
03-29-2006, 11:35 PM
Well Jeff, I've spent almost 20 years in Public Safety Radio. There are no tougher customers with more politics than Police, Fire, Local Governments, and the Military. I can't count the times that a chest full of brass has told me that I stood to get one of his men killed if I didn't give them the gadget they wanted. In my line, radios that don't do the job actually do put the lives of first responders at risk. My customers force me understand what they need and help them get there. Since the decision makers don't always know the ins and outs of what the are asking for, the key is to educate them out of a bad decision. That's what I hope to do here. Explain things so that these guys go out and purchase what the actually need.

130 channels, :lol: :lol: , there is a what-if-but for everything. FRS will always work for a few guys but I'll try to help the masses get it done right.

I haven't seen your past post but I'll try to dig them up.

Boudy