PDA

View Full Version : "Texas Iron" Exhibition

oz98cobra
08-24-2006, 05:49 PM
The DriversEdge would like to host an "exhibition" event for American V8 race cars at Motorsport Ranch in Cresson on Saturday, September 9th - if they can get a sufficient number of cars to make it a worthwhile spectacle. It is proposed that the exhibition will be run on the full 3.1 mile track, providing the DE event is run on the full track - if the event is not on the 3.1, it will be run on the 1.7 clockwise, so it will still be different from the norm!

This will be a a non-sanctioned exhibition, not a full blown race, so no $2 medals, no podium photos, no championship points, and NO contact! It will be a rolling start with starting positions based on a qualifying practise session. Passing anywhere will be permitted of course, however, it must be clean - no taking unecessary risks - no contact! Drivers will receive at least one practise session and a qualifying session in the morning, with the exhibition event after lunch. 30 minutes is the planned length of the exhibition event.

Entry will be open to production based American pony cars including NASA AI/AIX/CMC; AV8SS; SCCA A Sedan. Drivers must hold a recognised current competition license. and have competed in at least 4 races. There will an entry fee to cover costs, price to be determined depending on number of entries, most likely somewhere in the $60 to $100 range. Drivers may also wish to enquire about running in the advanced groups in the DE for the whole weekend.

For this to happen, DriversEdge needs at least 12 entries, and preferably 15+, so indicate with the poll or post up ASAP if you are in so they can make it happen! If they get enough interest, more info and entry details will be posted.

For those not familiar with the DriversEdge, check out their website at http://www.thedriversedge.net/

oz98cobra
08-24-2006, 05:52 PM
No doubt there will be questions about this event, so here are a few answer to some that may be asked.

Q: Why is DriversEdge doing this? I thought they were a DE org?

A: Mostly for the entertainment of their drivers and staff team. They have done similar exhibitions in the past, the last one being "pro" drivers in Vipers, Porsches, etc. Rick likes to do something different every now and again, and after coming to watch an AI/CMC race earlier in the year, he figured it would make a great spectacle at a DriversEdge event.

Q: What's in it for the racers if it's not a real race?

A: The chance for V8s to run wheel to wheel on the new 3.1 mile MSR circuit. PCA and BMW club have raced it before, but NASA has not as yet, so it will be new to most. An inexpensive opportunity for those racers not able to make the NASA Nationals to get on track in September. A final opportunity for those racers who ARE going to the NASA Nationals to shake down their cars before they pack up and head north. An opportunity for racers to drive with cars from other series or sanctioning bodies. The opportunity to promote your series and sponsors outside of regular race weekends.

Q: I'm building a race car - it's almost finished, but I have only done DE or HPDE events. Can I enter this exhibition to get experience before I go racing?

A: Sorry, although it is only an "exhibition", we expect a good display of close wheel to wheel running and passing anywhere, so only licensed racers with at least 4 races under their belts will be considered.

Q: Will there be a tech inspection?

A: As always with DriversEdge, race cars with log books can complete a DriversEdge tech sheet themselves. If an eligible driver has a race car with no log book, it will be considered on a case by case basis and tech inspection will be arranged. There will be spot safety checks.

Q: Whose rules will we be "racing" under?

A: DriversEdge Rules! This is not a sanctioned event, so passing flags, and other rules will sent to entrants before the event date, and will be explained during the mandatory drivers meeting. Safety wise, drivers and their cars should be prepared to the same level as they normal would with their relative sanctioning body. And yes, that does mean you will be required to wear an SA approved helmet, driving suit, fireproof socks and shoes, etc.

Q: Since it is only an exhibition, will passengers be allowed?

A: NO! No passengers allowed during "exhibition" sessions. Drivers also entering the regular DriversEdge DE event may be permitted to take passengers in the regular sessions if approved to do so?

Q: Will there be any trackside support at this event?

A: Yes. Bobby Archer motorsports provides track side support at DriversEdge events, and PST is of course also located at MSRC.

mitchntx
08-24-2006, 07:08 PM
I'm already signed up for this as is Steve. My nephew is supposed to be out there in his fire breathing Firehawk. Not sure he would want to "compete" ...

But count me and Steve in for sure.

Will this exibition be in addition to the regular DE schedule?

oz98cobra
08-24-2006, 08:10 PM

Will this exibition be in addition to the regular DE schedule?

Yes it will - Rick has reserved and extra hour with the track that day so we can fit a couple more sessions in.

AI#97
08-24-2006, 09:14 PM
cocked, locked and ready to rock! I'm in!

jeffburch
08-24-2006, 09:45 PM
Carnack wonders if this is the start of NASA NorTex.

jb

GlennCMC70
08-24-2006, 10:01 PM
if this was the weekend prior to me leaving (planning on leaving that day) i would be there.
i would be intrested in coming out just for the race, but thats alot of risk for just hours before i pull out to Nats.
bad timing. :x

NorTex NASA: MSR-C, new track towards Decatur, another new track arounf Terrell/Forny, Hallett, MSR-C backwards, and MSR-C 3.1, hmmm, sounds like enough tracks to do this thang. we could even do a TWS cross-over event.
interesting.

AI#97
08-25-2006, 08:59 AM
Carnack wonders if this is the start of NASA NorTex.

jb

It's Karnack! :wink:

Keep in mind guys that there is a possibility for NINE road courses within 5 hour drive from Dallas in the next two years. Some of these have already broken ground, some have earthwork complete, rumors have paving down at Eagle's Canyon and a total of 3 tracks in Houston. Figure some of these can be run both directions and we could have race events every two weeks instead of once a month...I might need TWO race cars!

I think it is time for us to form a small group to contact each track's owners and "evaluate" the tracks and check progress to begin looking at the possibility of putting them on a schedule for events.....not necessarily NASA events. I am sure Rick is already looking into this possibility for his DE program because new venues just give him more potential for revenue. Hmmm....funny how that works? :roll:

oz98cobra
08-25-2006, 04:09 PM
We need a lot more than 3 cars from this group if this is to happen, so unless some more post up soon, it's dead. Figured there would be more who were not going to the nationals who would welcome the opportunity to get on track during September?

GlennCMC70
08-25-2006, 04:13 PM
November would be cool. maybee a mini enduro? something like 3-6 hrs w/ manditory 15 minute stops every hour? @ least 3 driver changes w/ @ least 2 different drivers?

TEXAST1
08-25-2006, 04:16 PM
No Fiddy-Cent medal damn. That is all I race for! :lol:

What about the Vette. AV8SS. I guess I could bring the Bitchin' Black Camaro

David Love AI27
08-25-2006, 05:33 PM
I would rather run down at corpus that weekend, HOWEVER... Can we run Amber's Mustang without a cage??? If so I can commit two cars/drivers. I would put Amber in the AI car and I would drive the "cageless" Mustang.

AI#97
08-25-2006, 07:29 PM
I would rather run down at corpus that weekend, HOWEVER... Can we run Amber's Mustang without a cage??? If so I can commit two cars/drivers. I would put Amber in the AI car and I would drive the "cageless" Mustang.

You rebel!!! I think Daron's post mentioned "must meet your sanctioning bodies' rules for safety..."

David Love AI27
08-26-2006, 12:08 AM

You rebel!!! I think Daron's post mentioned "must meet your sanctioning bodies' rules for safety..."

Thanks for pointing that out... I just briefly scanned the post and only noted the drivers requirements... with that being the case we will be at cabiness playing with the PCA guys... besides you guys don't want to run with a CMC prepared AI27 car... replacement motor is a stock 305 with 150,000 miles... I'm pretty sure we will be under the 230hp spec...

oz98cobra
08-29-2006, 01:25 PM
With only 3 interested from AI/CMC, and a similar number from outside of NASA, there is not enough critical mass for this to happen at this event.

It seems that there is plenty of interest, but the timing is poor, so DriversEdge will look at moving it to the November DE event at MSRC on November 11/12 if there is still enough interest? I'll make a new thread after the nationals.

GlennCMC70
08-29-2006, 01:38 PM
thats a good date for me.

AI#97
08-29-2006, 03:10 PM
With only 3 interested from AI/CMC, and a similar number from outside of NASA, there is not enough critical mass for this to happen at this event.

It seems that there is plenty of interest, but the timing is poor, so DriversEdge will look at moving it to the November DE event at MSRC on November 11/12 if there is still enough interest? I'll make a new thread after the nationals.

Daron, contact Andy Menard about the November date....seems that is the same weekend or close for the SCMC event at MSR-H and most if not ALL of the Ford racers will be there instructing. Two weekends in a row might be pushing it for those of us with finicky race cars!

However, with the event being after our regional final...you will probably be able to say you have the NASATX champs in attendance?! :D

Tex89
08-29-2006, 03:33 PM
Two weekends in a row might be pushing it for those of us with finicky race cars!

I resemble & have one of those. :lol:

donovan
08-29-2006, 04:05 PM
However, with the event being after our regional final...you will probably be able to say you have the NASATX champs in attendance?! :D

Becauce I will be there?

Are you trying to predicting the future again?

8)

gt40
08-29-2006, 04:53 PM

It seems that there is plenty of interest, but the timing is poor, so DriversEdge will look at moving it to the November DE event at MSRC on November 11/12 if there is still enough interest? I'll make a new thread after the nationals.That would be much better for me. the car will be more-or-less track-ready by then and I'll need a few DE events to shake down and tune the car.

marshall_mosty
08-29-2006, 05:00 PM
I could probably swing the November date as well, assuming the car is still running after MSR-H.

AI#97
08-29-2006, 05:32 PM

Becauce I will be there?

Are you trying to predicting the future again?

8)

I said probably! My vinyl guy already has the artwork done for the trailer decal....he is just waiting to hit print! :wink: Besides, Skip started this shit days ago right before he went out of town....Go check his signature! :shock:

all kidding aside, I know the weekend is going to have to be perfect for this to happen for ME and I am sure YOUR car will be rather wide that weekend! I am just hoping Chris can find a motor so he can come back and defend what he has earned this season to date! Then the 3 of us can go have some fun to close the season. Cold beers will be shared afterwards regardless of the results!

donovan
08-29-2006, 07:31 PM
I am the points leader.

I will be prepared.
The car will be prepared.

I will be running faster than ever before.
I have secrets! Very Big Secrets!

I will be the points leader leaving MSRH in October.

Go ahead and bring the graphics, I will put them on my Bronco for the trip home.

David D. 8)

AI#97
08-29-2006, 09:08 PM
I am the points leader.

I will be prepared.
The car will be prepared.

I will be running faster than ever before.
I have secrets! Very Big Secrets!

I will be the points leader leaving MSRH in October.

Go ahead and bring the graphics, I will put them on my Bronco for the trip home.

David D. 8)

This is GREAT!!! Just make sure you tighten those shifter bolts!!! :wink:

As for the secrets....keep those to yourself. No need to scare the children or stray dogs.... :lol:

I am just happy it's this close so we can actually talk shit about who's going to be first instead of who's going to get 2nd....again!!! :twisted:

donovan
08-29-2006, 10:28 PM
I'm with ya, I'm very much looking forward to a close finish!

marshall_mosty
08-30-2006, 07:27 AM
I think I have 7th pretty much cinched up... no one to talk shit to... 8)

donovan
08-30-2006, 08:52 AM
But you can definitely affect the finish of the championship, just get behind me and keep MW behind you and it’s all good! Make that car WIDE!

I will share some of my champagne with you!
:twisted:

AI#97
08-30-2006, 09:34 AM
But you can definitely affect the finish of the championship, just get behind me and keep MW behind you and it’s all good! Make that car WIDE!

I will share some of my champagne with you!
:twisted:

I can almost let you win all 4 races and still be OK...I just have to make sure Marvel finishes atleast 10 points behind me in each race and I MUST take both poles. My only concern are the inverted starts but the TWS results in R3 are easing my fears. Keep in mind that in May, i was only running on 7 cylinders and was only .6 s off pole... The silver slut is healthy again so don't expect any mercy! :wink: Besides, I think Marshal likes it behind me because I make BIG F'N holes for him to follow through!!! :lol:

marshall_mosty
08-30-2006, 11:26 AM
Besides, I think Marshal likes it behind me because I make BIG F'N holes for him to follow through!!! :lol:

I think that is a way of saying Matt has a big ass. 8)

I did appreciate the large hole that you made during the inverted race in May... too bad I was left out to dry...er eat dirt, on the inside of the carousel.

Now accepting bribes.....