PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust hangers

ShadowBolt
01-02-2014, 09:51 PM
Both of the shit hangers came off the 55 last year so I wrapped coat hanger wire around them. I need to fix them correctly but I went to two different auto parts stores today and they did not have anything I think will last. All I have is glasspacks and turn downs behind the H pipe so I don't have any of the old rubber mounts that came on the car. Looking for ideas.
This is what I think I want.

http://www.delcity.net/store/Muffler-&-Exhaust-Hanger/p_798734.h_804779.t_1.r_IF1003?gclid=CLivksX_4LsCF WJo7AodtxgAgg

JJ

marshall_mosty
01-02-2014, 11:04 PM
I have a bolt thru the floorboard and a piece of steel strapping bolted to that. The strapping is welded to the muffler. Rock solid.

GlennCMC70
01-02-2014, 11:42 PM
Wrap the strap or rod around and under the exhaust. That way the tube is cradled and the tube will not rip.

Rob Liebbe
01-03-2014, 08:24 AM
I used that exact piece on Randy's car. Bolted through the floor or a bracket on the "strap" end and the "j" end is made to hold a muffler clamp, http://www.delcity.net/store/Saddle-Clamps/p_798733 , to go around your pipe or turndown. Worked perfectly. You could also weld the strap end to the floorboard. All parts are available at O'Reiley's, Autozone, etc.

ShadowBolt
01-03-2014, 08:31 AM
Wrap the strap or rod around and under the exhaust. That way the tube is cradled and the tube will not rip. Jason at Illicit was trying to tell me about that but I did not understand what he meant. So the reason mine fell off and made a hole in both mufflers is because they were welded to the top. Now I understand. I think the one I posted the link to like Rob said would be easier to work with. When I ask Vatozone and O'Reiley's if they had a universal exhaust clamp they both said "no".

JJ

Rob Liebbe
01-03-2014, 08:35 AM
Jason at Illicit was trying to tell me about that but I did not understand what he meant. So the reason mine fell off and make a hole in both mufflers is because they were welded to the top. Now I understand. I think the one I posted the link to like Rob said would be easier to work with. When I ask Vatozone and O'Reiley's if they had a universal exhaust clamp they both said "no".

JJThey have them, the pud behind the counter just doesn't know.

AllZWay
01-03-2014, 08:46 AM
My exhaust is hung the same way. I have had to replace it before after the rubber straps wore through.

ShadowBolt
01-03-2014, 08:49 AM
My exhaust is hung the same way. I have had to replace it before after the rubber straps wore through.

We are going to miss you James! It's going to eat at you when you realize we are out there without you.

JJ

AllZWay
01-03-2014, 09:42 AM
We are going to miss you James! It's going to eat at you when you realize we are out there without you.

JJ

I will miss it...but I am ready to spend some money in other places for a while. I plan to get my little convertible Triumph TR7 painted and on the road in the next few months. That is if it will friggin warm up some.

blk96gt
01-03-2014, 10:34 AM
For mine I found some stock rubber hangers/brackets for the rear in front of the axle and used these clamps.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pye-hvh11s

BryanL
01-03-2014, 10:49 AM
I think you want to make sure you have a piece of rubber as part of the hanger?

This is what and exhaust shop told me to use when I called them about their y-pipe hanger.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Southern-Exhaust-Hanger-Heavy-Duty-Steel-/310385541383

Here is the hanger that I was calling them about for my y-pipe.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/310829161521?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Looks like I'm going to have to take my exhaust back off to have welded to tuck it up further or just take it to a shop and have them fab some pipes and go back to the factory y pipe. Right now it's about 2 inches from the ground.

Rsmith350
01-03-2014, 12:43 PM
They have them, the pud behind the counter just doesn't know.

They are in the exhaust section in white and blue boxes on the top rack

ShadowBolt
01-03-2014, 06:25 PM
I showed them a pic on my phone and they had them.

JJ

Trublu
01-04-2014, 08:36 PM
I'm keeping all this in mind as I contemplate fabricating my new exhaust system from scratch without the luxury of an engine. The things you do to make a race.....

Hood
01-09-2014, 01:53 PM
Be prepared to have the patience of Job when you attempt this. Even with the car on my lift, it was painful. I was using prebent sections of tubing that I cut and welded as I progressed rearward. I literally have about 30 hours of fab work into this exhaust. BTW, even attempting this without the engine in place would be an exercise in futility as this is what the entire exhaust keys from.

David Love AI27
01-11-2014, 11:34 AM
muffler clamp with flat steel from Lowes... drilled holes to mount on flat side of muffler bracket bent into an "L" and mounted to floor pan... make sure to use large flat washers on floor pan or it will rip through... I had special brackets welded to the pipes at one time but they just tore off of the exhaust pipes