PDA

View Full Version : Trailer tires

BryanL
01-04-2014, 02:30 PM
Itx that time. Looking for a e range 225/75/15. Anyone have a suggestion on brand to to buy or stay away from. Heard only one is out there American made but don't know what it is. Looking at Goodyear and maxxis. Trailer is 28' enclosed.

marshall_mosty
01-05-2014, 08:40 PM
I got my Maxxis tires from Discount Tire.

y5e06
01-06-2014, 12:29 PM
goodyear marathons.
last set lasted me 6+ years. had to get a new set 12 hours prior to leaving for ECR in Nov.... they had a 2004 date code even though I bought them in ~'08. Still, I would recommend them. Trailer tows like a dream, better than it ever has w/ the new set. I want to say my set had U.S. mfg info vs the asian imports, but I'd have to check to be sure.
http://www.goodyearrvtires.com/tire-selector.aspx
called local and found a great price, then went to discount tire and they matched based on word alone. although I prefer local businesses, in case of tires i went somewhere that has a nation wide network in case of unexpected service.

Prior to my last set I had 2-3 blowouts in 2 years, i don't recall the mfg on those. got sick of changing tires on a trailer on the side of the load...

Wade
01-06-2014, 07:18 PM
Marathons were great. They have now been outsourced to Chinese manufacturing and are now not any better than anything else. Buy from Discount and get the road hazard warranty. When you have a problem, they will be your closest national chain with the possibility of having anything on hand. The best way to make sure that you don't have a problem is to tow slower than 70 and carry two spares. Otherwise, even the best tires can't handle the heat. IMHO no one ever seems to have problems in the winter. (Hopefully didn't just shoot myself in the foot!)

ShadowBolt
01-06-2014, 07:56 PM
My trailer is now starting its fourth year. It stays in the garage out of the sun but I'm thinking I will replace the tires just prior to Hallett for the reason Wade just talked about. Mine are 14" tires and I don't know if there is a good trailer tire in 14" size. Tire issues are one reason I did not go with a enclosed trailer. Both styles have their pros and cons.

JJ

GlennCMC70
01-06-2014, 08:48 PM
Tell me why I shouldn't start using truck tires in E range?
I've given up on the Carlisle trailer tires. I get them replaced @ $15 each and have been through about 20 of them since 2006. The problem isn't w/ the tire and the $15 replacements, its the damage done to the trailer when they blow.
Driving over 65 is what I'm told is killing them. I don't drive any slower just because I have a trailer on back. That said, I need a tire that will handle any Texas speedlimit +5 mph. My thoughts are a E range truck tire.
I have 15's now. I would love to go to a 16" wheel and a tire larger than a 235 to slow the bearing speed down. I have plenty of room for a taller tire.

AllZWay
01-07-2014, 09:36 AM

Now... I have an open trailer...but this is what I do and have had great success. The first set lasted about 8 years before I had the first blowout and replaced the whole set. The new set is now about 3 years old.

My cousin owns a tire store and recommended I do it since trailer tires or so horribly made.

My camper though... we did put trailer tires on it recently after replacing the 14 year old Goodyear's. I think Maxxis is what we put on the camper.

BryanL
01-07-2014, 10:41 AM
I've given up on the Carlisle trailer tires. I get them replaced @ $15 each and have been through about 20 of them since 2006. The problem isn't w/ the tire and the $15 replacements, its the damage done to the trailer when they blow.
Driving over 65 is what I'm told is killing them. I don't drive any slower just because I have a trailer on back. That said, I need a tire that will handle any Texas speedlimit +5 mph. My thoughts are a E range truck tire.
I have 15's now. I would love to go to a 16" wheel and a tire larger than a 235 to slow the bearing speed down. I have plenty of room for a taller tire.

I did a little research last night. Here is a link that is pretty informative about the testing. Now for my summary of what I found. All the tires are now Chinese made and there have been issues with quality though the chinese tires on my trailer were great. The tire is made different from a LT with regards to the sidewall. Also something about the weight just sitting on them breaks them down and especially a LT tire-who knows. Open trailer is different due to weight. All the ST (special trailer) tires have a max speed of 65 or they suppossedly start building up heat. Step up to a real tire like the Michelin XPS rib that is all steel or something but maybe rated to 99 mph and a real tire compared to the ST tires. They are pricey and also new wheels. If I was hauling all of the country that is what I would do. Looks like I'm going to get a Cooper Hercules or Maxxis - 10 ply E range. I may also buy a trailer tire pressure/temp setup like Jerry has-got a link?

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/23225970/srt/pa/pging/1/page/1

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/4-other-topics/222-towing/436248-light-truck-tires-trailer.html

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/4-other-topics/222-towing/455369-carlisle-e-rated-trailer-tires-p-o-s.html

There is another information page on discount tires website but it may be all propoganda.

Pranav
01-07-2014, 11:15 AM
I got some Carlisle Radial Trail RH tires a while back; apparently this tire is the "answer" to all of Carlisle's previous problems of quality. I was directed to this tire by Discount after being informed that the Goodyears had been moved overseas. At the price point with road hazard hopefully they should work out, ran them hard for 8 months now and no pops yet...

mach1
01-07-2014, 12:07 PM
I ponied up for Maxxis tires.

ShadowBolt
01-07-2014, 12:08 PM
I think it's crazy to not run a pressure system. I have this system. http://tsttruck.com/product/510-system/ on my RV and the trailer. It monitors not only pressure but temp. It lets you know when the tire starts down in less than a second. I tore the whole front left side off my Commander before I got this system.

Jerry

BryanL
01-07-2014, 12:20 PM
Thanks Jerry-does it require installation while the tire is off? I'll watch the video during lunch.

ShadowBolt
01-07-2014, 01:02 PM
Thanks Jerry-does it require installation while the tire is off? I'll watch the video during lunch.

No it screws to the stem. It comes with a special wrench to install it and if someone tries to steel it the part just spins. You are supposed to have metal stems though. I just Duct taped the rubber stems the first time I used them because I did not have time to get new stems before the first race after the kit came in.

JJ

marshall_mosty
01-09-2014, 01:31 PM
The base kit indicates that it comes with 2 pressure and 2 temp sensors. Each "pair" is $100 extra. I would assume I need the base kit $259 plus 2 "pair" of sensors to do all four tires on my trailer?

ShadowBolt
01-09-2014, 02:16 PM
The base kit indicates that it comes with 2 pressure and 2 temp sensors. Each "pair" is $100 extra. I would assume I need the base kit $259 plus 2 "pair" of sensors to do all four tires on my trailer?

Correct. Some of the systems come with more than two sensors (I see one system that comes with four sensors for $259.00. . Some have replaceable batteries and some (like mine) have to be sent in every three or four years. They have some new stuff. I would call them if I was you. They sell factory direct and they are great to work with. I understand there is a new flow-through system so you don't have to remove the sensors to add air. If I was purchasing this today I would get this kit.
http://tsttruck.com/product/tst-507-flow-thru/
$259.00 and you are set.

JJ

David Love AI27
01-11-2014, 11:25 AM

E range is what I went to and closely monitored the pressures... the biggest issue is dry rot from lack of use so that is why i went with a less expensive e range and replace them regularly. Also, I found that if I took the trailer out and drove around it "flexed" the steel plies around and helped with separation problems.

Rob Liebbe
01-12-2014, 08:26 PM
E range is what I went to and closely monitored the pressures... the biggest issue is dry rot from lack of use so that is why i went with a less expensive e range and replace them regularly. Also, I found that if I took the trailer out and drove around it "flexed" the steel plies around and helped with separation problems.
In 2011 and 2012 I let my motorhome sit for almost a year and a half. When I went to drive it to Dallas for Christmas 2013, I had three tread separations. When I described this to several people including tire experts, the all looked at me like everyone should know this would happen. Now I try to go drive it every 3 or 4 weeks to keep the tires "flexed". If I had a motorhome with a hydraulic leveling system, I would raise it up to take the weight off the tires while in storage. Put it "up on blocks" so to speak.

ShadowBolt
01-12-2014, 09:59 PM
Just checked my four year old C range trailer tires and one has a really bad separation. Large bump in the middle of the tire. I'm going to get four new ones tomorrow. The size on my Sloan trailer are 205/75/14. That's right 14's. Any ideas?

JJ

BryanL
01-13-2014, 12:25 PM
I saw good stuff on Maxxis and Hercules (what we just put on due to the local guy having them). I don't know what the rating is on a C range but it must be enough capacity as I don't think you have had issues but I would feel more comfortable with a 15" D range.

I have the pressure system ready to install and program. I didn't go with the flow through since it required taking the tires off. I can also change my batteries myself when they go out. I called them and they were very helpful and shipped instantly. It will be worth the piece of mind to us for as many years as it should last.