PDA

View Full Version : Starting to hate my G8.

GlennCMC70
01-08-2014, 07:47 PM
Wife called this morning and said she was coming back home, the car is making a strange sound.
She gets home and it sounds like a bent pushrod.
Do some googling and the '08/'09's are known for lifter failures on the Active Fuel Management cylinders (intakes).
Car is past the 5yr/100K powertrain by age alone (82K on it).

Quick parts pricing on Rockauto results in $500 to $800 in parts to replace AFM lifters on at least one side. May as well do both sides. Likely $800 at least.
Went to GM and asked if they would cover it due to it being a very common problem that resulted in a re-design for 2010's and they said GM may help and I would likely be out about the same amount when all was said and done.

All this w/ hoping the cam didn't get wiped out. Some w/ this failure get the lobes trashed.

I was just about to pay this thing off and didn't want a car payment for a few years. I find myself re-considering it now.

Sometimes I really do hate my life.
So...... I may miss MSR-H as a result.

Suck fumes
01-08-2014, 10:45 PM
Find some used ones off eBay and save a bunch.

Hood
01-09-2014, 11:41 AM
Glenn,
This is known issue with all G8's. The best thing is to do the DOD delete which involves a cam, lifters, timing chain and valley pan. I can get very good prices on this stuff. I just bought an '09 G8 with only 31K miles even knowing that this will have to be done in the not-so-distant future. The car is pretty awesome for a daily driver. Go to the G8 Board and search around for this topic. Good luck with whatever way you go!

GlennCMC70
01-09-2014, 03:20 PM
I would Gary if it was my car. It is my wifes car. If I put a non-stock cam in it, it would have to be a very mild one. Don't want to have to tune it or anything.

Hood
01-09-2014, 06:19 PM
You can go back as mild as you need. We can duplicate the cam specs from a stock 6.0 Camaro automatic that will put it close enough to not need retuning. The other thing you can do is just change the lifters and repeat in another 50K miles... I'm really surprised that you got that many miles on it before this started. Usually around 50-60K they will start making noise.

GlennCMC70
01-09-2014, 06:34 PM
This isnt making noise, this is a failure.
The updated part is supposed to fix it. That is why the 2010's didn't get listed in the TSB.

I don't know what to do.

y5e06
03-14-2014, 03:39 PM
GL, did you ever get your situation figured out? i recall seeing the G8 at MSR.

a friend of mine is having this very same issue on his '08 Avalanche. he doesn't know the difference between a lifter and a tail gate. his is out of warranty. dealer wants to plop in a new engine for $6K...

GlennCMC70
03-14-2014, 04:17 PM
Yep. Failed lifter.
Pull the valvecovers and look for a rocker that is not snug on the spring.
I pulled both heads after finding 1 failed lifter. I replaced the intake only as those are the only ones that are not like normal lifters.
Spent about $500 in parts a couple days fixing it.