PDA

View Full Version : The Lone Suvivor

ShadowBolt
01-09-2014, 07:41 PM
Please do yourself a favor and go see this movie. It opens tomorrow. I read the book and it is one of the best stories ever told. This is a true story about Seal Team 10. All but one (Marcus Luttrell who wrote the book) died in this battle with 100 Taliban. Nothing but heroes. Be ready to cry In public.

JJ

AllZWay
01-10-2014, 09:04 AM
I am planning on going. I saw the making of the movie last night on HBO and the preview of the movie. I figure I will just become more mad at the whole situation....now that Fallujuah has fallen back to Al Queda and supposedly Al Queda has more control of Irag than it has ever happened... you really wonder why our country gets involved and loses lives for shithole countries in the first place.

Rob Liebbe
01-10-2014, 09:54 AM
I am planning on going. I saw the making of the movie last night on HBO and the preview of the movie. I figure I will just become more mad at the whole situation....now that Fallujuah has fallen back to Al Queda and supposedly Al Queda has more control of Irag than it has ever happened... you really wonder why our country gets involved and loses lives for shithole countries in the first place.C'mon, you know the answer to that - oil. But you are right, we get involved at levels we shouldn't be. If we don't like the way the country is run, then we just don't buy oil from them.

rleng1
01-13-2014, 01:07 PM
Luttrell is from East Texas. He Is a 6'5" navy seal. His brother was also a navy seal. Excellent book.
I'm headed to northern Iraq next Monday. Hope I don't go ape s***

Fbody383
01-13-2014, 04:46 PM
One, if not THE biggest, issue are the rules of engagement - I hold that the U.S. military, in providing for the common defense required under the U.S. Constitution, have two jobs when place in the field by the President - break stuff and kill people.

Period.

After we saw the movie, my 18 year old son sent a text to his cousing to thank their dad (his uncle) for his service. I was never cut out to serve but I'll gladly pay taxes for those folks especially when the pinheads in charge let them off the leash.

Yes, we can debate over whether or not we should go into/still be in certain places. But once they are in the field they should be let loose.

AllZWay
01-13-2014, 05:06 PM
Yes, we can debate over whether or not we should go into/still be in certain places. But once they are in the field they should be let loose.

That is always my issue... if we are there... then it should be 100% committment to end it or we shouldn't be there.

BTW.. the movie was not on locally, but I bet it will be this week.

ShadowBolt
01-13-2014, 07:45 PM
They should have either killed or tied up the goat herders.

JJ

Suck fumes
01-13-2014, 08:59 PM
Best modern day saving private Ryan I have seen. Really well made and realistic. Sure it's easy for us to say they should have killed the farmers but ask yourself one question.... Could you have shot an unarmed 12yr old regardless of whether he was the enemy and lived with yourself later? Plus with the way our world is now with all the media and the way info travels now through the Internet, those guys would have gotten in a lot of trouble if they had shot unarmed people especially a child even though in the long run it would have saved their lives.

ShadowBolt
01-13-2014, 09:28 PM
Best modern day saving private Ryan I have seen. Really well made and realistic. Sure it's easy for us to say they should have killed the farmers but ask yourself one question.... Could you have shot an unarmed 12yr old regardless of whether he was the enemy and lived with yourself later? Plus with the way our world is now with all the media and the way info travels now through the Internet, those guys would have gotten in a lot of trouble if they had shot unarmed people especially a child even though in the long run it would have saved their lives.
A twelve year old shot the RPGs into the chopper and killed all on board. Marcus just said it on Glenn Beck's show the other day. At the very least they should have tied them up. Marcus said when they had them they would not even look at them. He said you coUld tell they hated them. They had to make them not turn away. For me (and it's easy to look back now) they should have tied them up.

JJ

ShadowBolt
01-13-2014, 09:36 PM
Also the movie did not show that Marcus crawled 6 miles......crawled. He could not stand up like it showed in the movie. His back was broken. Please read the book (The Lone Survivor) then read Operation Red Wing about all the dumb shit we did to screw this mission up. I'm talking about the commanders. Not the Seals

JJ

AllZWay
01-14-2014, 09:49 AM

I agree... the media would have crucified them and probably our own government would have sent them to prison.

ShadowBolt
01-14-2014, 10:21 AM
I agree... the media would have crucified them and probably our own government would have sent them to prison.
And why would anyone have had to ever know? Hindsight is 20/20 but they should have tied them up.

JJ

Fbody383
01-14-2014, 01:56 PM
And why would anyone have had to ever know? They would have had to knife them - but even if they shot them with a borrowed AK47 if there was any trace of Americans they would have claimed it was us that killed them.

I think the difference in us (U.S.) and them is a moral baseline. Which is why the rules of engagement are an issue - if they had "permission" to respond as necessary to any compromise, there might be have been a different outcome.

Rob Liebbe
01-14-2014, 04:44 PM
Since Vietnam at least, wimpy politicians cause the death of brave soldiers.

jdlingle
01-17-2014, 09:19 PM
This movie was so good I immediately went out and got the book. It's even better as its able to go into more length about Marcus becoming a Seal. These guys are amazing warriors.

AllZWay
01-18-2014, 08:43 PM
We just left watching it. It is a must watch.