PDA

View Full Version : Brake temps

BlueFirePony
02-17-2014, 04:35 PM
Saw the discussion around the ST-40 and such and did not want to hijack.

For the testing at Cresson and TWS we have brake temp test cases and I thought I knew the range of brake temp min/max/sweet spot for AI/CMC but maybe not so much after getting specific with a few of the guys.

Even if you are not testing with us you might get some value from the test results and data.

I'd like to make a "class level" profile for AI/X/Spec and CMC brake temp to use for some calibration of the sensors and eventually to make sure I spec in appropriate sensors. Right now I am looking at 2000F peak for the front and 1200F peak (yeah overkill) for the rears.

If you would can you post to this thread (or PM me if you want it private) what your temps are for front and rear pads, rotors and calipers?
e.g. my APR calipers were designed to operate around 180-250C with their fluid and give the best bite with DBA 4000 rotors and Pagid pads in the 400-540C (750-1000F) range with a high side of 650C/1200F (FYI the tests from Germany said I sustained 1100C/2000F for a long time...my green temp strip was white and the red was still red - so < 1200F...or the paint failed...)
Anything below 350C on the rotors and the system underperformed so I had a pretty good sense of keeping them in the sweet spot. Sustained temp above 800C and ...well....

The rear rotors are stock and typically did not bust 290C/550F and usually were in the 230C/450-315C/600F range.

I know many of you run variants of the Carbotechs - pretty sure they are designed to run higher than the APR/Pagids I ran..like XP10-12s above 1200F and XP20s over 1500F?

Anyway, if you know specifics and want to share, please do.