PDA

View Full Version : Q Review

BlueFirePony
03-11-2014, 10:51 AM
No, not Qualifying...BBQ ;)

For those of you that had the BBQ I am interested in your opinion.
While we did not cook competition style this past weekend, and that does change things a bit, I'd like to get a handle on whether we hit our target or not - which is to say, did you want seconds?

We only provided the meat - the sides and desserts (which were YUMMMY - esp the banana pudding!) were provided by Dave via a local BBQ place.

Let the flames begin.

mach1
03-11-2014, 11:18 AM
I ended up going to Del Norte but I am happy to see that you are looking for feedback and trying to improve your product, will definitely try it the next time around!

Suck fumes
03-11-2014, 11:46 AM
All I can say is I wish you had more wings as a meal! Those things were freakin amazing! But they disappeared quick as they were only an appetizer.

kbrewmr2
03-11-2014, 12:32 PM
the batch I got was a little on the tougher side than I'm used to seeing out of brisket, but the taste was great. Heard some complaints about some people not getting any meat or having to wait a ton of time for the next batch to come out, but that's really it on that front.

marshall_mosty
03-11-2014, 01:03 PM
I liked all of it!!

BlueFirePony
03-11-2014, 01:18 PM
the batch I got was a little on the tougher side than I'm used to seeing out of brisket, but the taste was great. Heard some complaints about some people not getting any meat or having to wait a ton of time for the next batch to come out, but that's really it on that front.
Yeah those were the two do-overs I'd like.
It was my wife's first time cutting the brisket and I forgot to tell her to cut the burnt ends to prep with the sauce like I did with the pork. By the time I realized it my son had already served the trays so a couple batches were a bit off.

As for the waiting I missed my co-cooks on this one (Frank, Randy and JP) both for the comradery and teamwork. It was a LOT easier the last time with them since we were able to roll out something constantly - beans, tri-tip, hots, ribs, brisket, spuds - the train kept a rollin'.
We did have about a dozen hang around for the last batch just like last time - and just like last time it was the best of the night - that extra hour wrapped just does magic with both the pork and beef. Guess I need to my cook times back another hour :)

BlueFirePony
03-11-2014, 01:21 PM
All I can say is I wish you had more wings as a meal! Those things were freakin amazing! But they disappeared quick as they were only an appetizer.
Ha! I think those were Dave's wings. Props Dave :)

Rsmith350
03-11-2014, 01:52 PM
I enjoyed all of it

nasa-rm
03-11-2014, 03:49 PM
Ha! I think those were Dave's wings. Props Dave :)

LOL. And the wings were warm-ups left over from Friday night. Just goes to show knuckle-draggers will eat anything when they are hungry!!

FWIW, those that waited until the last batch came out got some serious $$$ on the brisket. And it was hella-good warmed up for lunch the next day as well. The pork chipotle was to die for..... I felt (kinda) bad for cutting back to the front of the line to insure the quality of it.

BlueFirePony
03-12-2014, 11:45 AM
FWIW, those that waited until the last batch came out got some serious $$$ on the brisket. And it was hella-good warmed up for lunch the next day as well. The pork chipotle was to die for..... I felt (kinda) bad for cutting back to the front of the line to insure the quality of it.
Glad you like the pork chipotle. The plums are from our mini-orchard and my son and wife have been fine tuning the sauce recipe for over a year now and I think they have the "hot" version nailed down now. It started out too mild when we used it at Cops4Kids BBQ comp last year but we plan to use the current recipe going forward.
We've been playing with a raspberry chipotle as well...that flavor swing is wild and pretty much put's a smile on the face of any Georgian BBQ lover (who surprisingly show up quite a bit as judges in Texas BBQ comps ?)

Rsmith350
03-12-2014, 11:53 AM
Glad you like the pork chipotle. The plums are from our mini-orchard and my son and wife have been fine tuning the sauce recipe for over a year now and I think they have the "hot" version nailed down now. It started out too mild when we used it at Cops4Kids BBQ comp last year but we plan to use the current recipe going forward.
We've been playing with a raspberry chipotle as well...that flavor swing is wild and pretty much put's a smile on the face of any Georgian BBQ lover (who surprisingly show up quite a bit as judges in Texas BBQ comps ?)
We have done a raspberry chipotle with some pork loin. It was fantastic. Not something I would have chosen myself but very good

BlueFirePony
03-12-2014, 01:05 PM
We have done a raspberry chipotle with some pork loin. It was fantastic. Not something I would have chosen myself but very good
Yep...I really was not into the fruit taste profile myself but the three layers (fruit, spice, smoke) are pretty darn good when done right.
We started out just mixing around our fruit woods during the smoke (we use a lot of plum in place of pecan or cherry now with hickory for a base) and then began experimenting with the moppin's. We tend to only use the fruit chipotle on the pork or yard bird - presenting a fruity brisket in Texas will pretty much guarantee a DQ if not a lynching :/

Rsmith350
03-12-2014, 05:23 PM
Yep...I really was not into the fruit taste profile myself but the three layers (fruit, spice, smoke) are pretty darn good when done right.
We started out just mixing around our fruit woods during the smoke (we use a lot of plum in place of pecan or cherry now with hickory for a base) and then began experimenting with the moppin's. We tend to only use the fruit chipotle on the pork or yard bird - presenting a fruity brisket in Texas will pretty much guarantee a DQ if not a lynching :/this is very true, I personally think its a better pairing anyway. Brisket is its own animal (pun intended) lol