PDA

View Full Version : TWS on last leg

ShadowBolt
03-13-2014, 03:46 PM
It could be that TWS will be gone as a race track soon. Developers want to put in 1500 homes and if everything is approved they want to start construction in 2015-2016. My brother just read the whole article to me. Very sad.

JJ

kbrewmr2
03-13-2014, 03:52 PM
link:
http://wtaw.com/2014/03/13/plans-to-turn-texas-world-speedway-into-a-master-planned-community/

Lots of hoops for the developers to jump through, it's not over yet.

ShadowBolt
03-13-2014, 03:55 PM
link:
http://wtaw.com/2014/03/13/plans-to-turn-texas-world-speedway-into-a-master-planned-community/

Lots of hoops for the developers to jump through, it's not over yet.

Very true but it will happen sooner or later.

The first time I went to TWS was in 1972 or 1973 for the Texas Twin 250 (250 miles of NASCAR then 250 miles of Indy cars back to back) and it was way out in the boonies.

JJ

AllZWay
03-13-2014, 06:32 PM
I would say the outcome can't be good for TWS. I bet there is a lot more money in those homes than in a racetrack. :(

jdlingle
03-13-2014, 07:52 PM
Sucks to lose an awesome track just for some more houses that could go somewhere else.

Pranav
03-13-2014, 08:03 PM
I thought it was an EPA Brownfield site and would take an ungodly amount of money to cleanup?

mach1
03-13-2014, 09:00 PM
Maybe the new will be worn off of COTA by then and it can fill in for the TWS dates.

ShadowBolt
03-13-2014, 10:46 PM
Maybe the new will be worn off of COTA by then and it can fill in for the TWS dates.

If that somehow happened it would be great for me. I'm not holding my breath.

JJ

AI#97
03-14-2014, 09:31 AM
city is excited about this...however, the developer is working a position to limit his losses. They are proposing this so that the developer is guaranteed reimbursement from the city for infrastructure improvements REGARDLESS if it is finished out. build out is proposed over 15 years. Phase 1 would be to bulldoze the site and put in streets, water, sewer. At that point the developer could walk away with their money in hand and the city has all the necessary work done to expand into that area. Win for both....bad for tax payers and racers.

While I don't want to see this happen, it will some day. Time to pool our resources of racers in the state and build a new track. Call it TWS 2.0 with fresh surface and clean facilities. Same layout, same corners....just new and fresh.

<---considering setting up fund for donations to start this up! I'd love to own me a racetrack.

y5e06
03-17-2014, 09:24 AM
Save TWS petition.
http://soonerbillz.com/SaveTWS/

kbrewmr2
03-17-2014, 09:52 AM
hopefully some of the city council isn't big on knocking out the only real non-university related reason to ever visit the city.

Rob Liebbe
03-17-2014, 10:19 AM
hopefully some of the city council isn't big on knocking out the only real non-university related reason to ever visit the city.Café Capri, The "Dirty Sock" and the George Bush Presidential Library are at least three other reasons. ;)

kbrewmr2
03-17-2014, 10:44 AM
I can come up with a longer list for a lame place like Tomball, TX....

(full disclosure - Tomball HS Class of 2000 here)

Pranav
03-17-2014, 10:46 AM
You, just like everyone else, just don't get what it means to be an Aggie.

That being said after having graduated from A&M I only go back for TWS and Caffe Capri. Never was a sports fan and outgrew most of what I used to do in that town a long time ago.

AllZWay
03-17-2014, 11:48 AM
hopefully some of the city council isn't big on knocking out the only real non-university related reason to ever visit the city.

So true... if not for TWS... and Cafe Capri as result of the banquet... I would never visit College Station.

Pranav
03-17-2014, 12:13 PM
From the TWS FB page:

Tap the brakes on the rumor mill!

A recent news report shows a redevelopment plan for the property on which TWS sits. Rumors are flying fast and furious, and there are even "Save TWS" petitions roaming the interwebs.

First, let it be known that the management at TWS loves this track as much or more than anyone. No one spends this much time and effort, often 7 days a week, on something they don't care about. That said, the property was purchased several years ago and the owners made no misrepresentations about their intentions. They are real estate investors, not motorsports facility operators. There was an ongoing attempt to sell the property, and an IPO to clubs and racers, and no one in the motorsports world seemed to be interested.

Now the owners have filed a redevelopment plan for the property so that, at some point in the future, the property can be repurposed for residential and other uses. Keep three things in mind:
1. That is the eventual fate of TWS, regardless of who owns it. College Station is a high growth area and is moving South. At some point in the future, TWS will be no more.
2. This is an eventuality that most of us understood, but none of us knew, or know the exact timeframe of.
3. It's only a plan that shows the owners intentions. As some of you know, there are a number of hoops to jump through between the first plan and breaking ground.

So what does this mean for the racing community? Right now, not much. We know what we've always known - TWS could be sold or redeveloped at any time. So nothing really changes for the ongoing operation of the track. All contracts will be honored, and unless track management is instructed otherwise, we will start writing 2015 contracts in the Fall. Improvements will continue.

The owners will let us know months in advance of anything that will impact speedway operations, so no one will be surprised or left holding the bag, whether it's 18 months or 5 years down the road.

Until then, it's business as usual here.

The real problem here is all of this federal money being pumped into university programs and this notion that everyone has to go to college to succeed in life. Cut federal money, teach universities how to price their tuition against an open market with less bloat, and funnel everyone going for less than an engineering/science/hard degree into trade schools. Less people will go to A&M and drive up demand for housing and tuition.

In the end the sprawl that will eventually consume TWS will be stopped and in 30+ years from now whatever kids I pop out can actually afford to go to college; at this rate I'm sure a 4 year ride would cost a few hundred grand...

kbrewmr2
03-17-2014, 12:47 PM
wonder if they'll still want to ding every vehicle that comes in $5 for the capital improvement fund

Pranav
03-17-2014, 01:06 PM
Have Dave SUPER BOLD AND HIGHLIGHT the "do not harass gateworker about $5 fee" note on the welcome letter.

Poor guys up front are just there to make some side cash, they don't need anymore shit from us and what we read on the internet.

Also leave your dogs at home and don't complain about the restrooms.

kbrewmr2
03-17-2014, 01:58 PM
I'd happily continue to pay it if I knew it was going to improve the facility instead of lining the ownership group's pockets. If teardown starts 1/1/2015, what do you think that $5 you give them this coming April will go to?

That's just me though...

Pranav
03-17-2014, 02:28 PM
Be sure to bring it up to track mgmt in person, after you pay the $5 fee to get in to talk to them.

AI#97
03-17-2014, 05:00 PM
Looking on Loop this morning, I found no less than 60 development properties in the Bryan/CS area that are unfinished or available right now. The grand total of those properties in value and space exceed the TWS property totals. Most don't even need improvements as they are already there. I just wish the city would take into account the track record of this developer and the failures it has had in the past. I'd hate to see the 2nd largest draw for people to CS turn into a bridge to nowhere....which is exactly what would be needed to exit the "eastern" back side of the property....you know. That place out behind turn 6 that constantly has calls for gunfire and a huge drill rig in the way!

The city is so blinded by dollar signs right now, the "developer" will get permission as listed above. The nice thing is, I don't think the developer has the money to do a quarter of the work they say they want to do so they will need investors. Hopefully, the same smart investors that walked out half way through the last presentation given by these guys to "improve" and privatize the track.

However, the track will eventually go away if just into bankruptcy and stop operations. Someone should just start working the system and find some land, say 300 acres. Find some investors with about $5 million in the fund, and build a new track in Texas. I have been finding land up in Normangee and Calvert (both 30 minutes from Bryan/CS or less) with 300-500 acres for around $1M dollars. That leaves $4 Million or so to do some grading, grubbing, garage, paddock and track paving. Put the investors/bank on a 30 year payout and make a go at it. There are 9 organizations renting TWS practically every weekend of the year and those folks are going to be fighting for available days at the remaining tracks. Weekend rentals are about to go up, so you can build that into your business model...I have one BTW, to run the track. As long as you don't completely screw up the track layout and have enough paddock space and clean restrooms with a track that is fun and doesn't eat cars, it's a no brainer that you will have people standing in line to rent the place. Build it out in the boonies with low taxes and rock on!

all we need is the money men to back us!

BryanL
03-17-2014, 05:10 PM
Looking on Loop this morning, I found no less than 60 development properties in the Bryan/CS area that are unfinished or available right now. The grand total of those properties in value and space exceed the TWS property totals. Most don't even need improvements as they are already there. I just wish the city would take into account the track record of this developer and the failures it has had in the past. I'd hate to see the 2nd largest draw for people to CS turn into a bridge to nowhere....which is exactly what would be needed to exit the "eastern" back side of the property....you know. That place out behind turn 6 that constantly has calls for gunfire and a huge drill rig in the way!

The city is so blinded by dollar signs right now, the "developer" will get permission as listed above. The nice thing is, I don't think the developer has the money to do a quarter of the work they say they want to do so they will need investors. Hopefully, the same smart investors that walked out half way through the last presentation given by these guys to "improve" and privatize the track.

However, the track will eventually go away if just into bankruptcy and stop operations. Someone should just start working the system and find some land, say 300 acres. Find some investors with about $5 million in the fund, and build a new track in Texas. I have been finding land up in Normangee and Calvert (both 30 minutes from Bryan/CS or less) with 300-500 acres for around $1M dollars. That leaves $4 Million or so to do some grading, grubbing, garage, paddock and track paving. Put the investors/bank on a 30 year payout and make a go at it. There are 9 organizations renting TWS practically every weekend of the year and those folks are going to be fighting for available days at the remaining tracks. Weekend rentals are about to go up, so you can build that into your business model...I have one BTW, to run the track. As long as you don't completely screw up the track layout and have enough paddock space and clean restrooms with a track that is fun and doesn't eat cars, it's a no brainer that you will have people standing in line to rent the place. Build it out in the boonies with low taxes and rock on!

all we need is the money men to back us!

You just nominated yourself as our rep. at the city council meeting. Think you are right that the best odds are being able to get the funding from investors who care about making a profit. Governments don't work off the need to make a profit.

Though it helps to be near enough in the boonies but close enough to a major city. Cresson is a great example-lot of recurring revenue from the garages and members. Interesting to compare it's model to something like TWS which just rents it out. Wait till F1 pulls out of COTA and the new wears off and hopefully we can run there.

Fbody383
03-18-2014, 10:39 AM
Is there any way to get old/new demensional drawings on TWS? Track width, corner radii, etc. Does FIA publish things like runoff room, containment areas, etc.?

I think it's a long putt, but you would need the dimensions to look for property.

BL just reduced his racing budget... he can probably just write a check. Or we'll start the Texas AI/CMC MegaMillions/Powerball fund... each time the jackpot is over $350mm we'll buy in.

AI#97
03-18-2014, 11:47 AM
martin cain has GPS data from both inside and outside edge of the track in his traqmate. I am sure we could get it again pretty easy. To duplicate the exact dimensions of the 2.9 road course, you need a plot of land approximately 3800' x 3500' IIRC. that is around 330 acres. Most of the land around here is long and thin and would not work....but I am looking.

Keep in mind, they need money to make this happen and the partners rarely use their own money...it's a developer thing. Risk other people's money on their hair-brained idea. The biggest issue is that the property value will go up the minute the city says "yes". they will then try to leverage that to raise capital. The environmental hoops to jump through will give them data on what the cost is to "clean the site" and prepare it for homes. Then they can start looking for capital and any smart investor won't drop a dime until that cost is known, so capital raising will likely be delayed until later this year unless something unexpected happens along the way and they find money to kickstart the utilities work. Biggest worry at this point is the CS council setting up to annex the site which would double or triple the property taxes.

While we have known this was the plan since 2007, it is far from actually closing down. The city council approval to move forward is merely the first step in a series of steps that spends a LOT of money....I personally don't think the current owners have the cash unless they have already started securing funding through other means....but I doubt it as raising $20 Million in capital right now to get started would be DAMN difficult. I'm not all doom and gloom on this but we as a racing community should have a plan B in the event the planets align and the track gets leveled.

Pranav
03-18-2014, 11:50 AM
Who setup the NOLA track? Seems like a solid model. Onsite track, dragstrip, autocross pad, rallyX site.

Surprised more tracks don't take this approach...

kbrewmr2
03-19-2014, 08:13 AM
going to be tough to recreate the track in all 3 dimensions - that z-axis is what makes the track more fun (to me anyway)

"far from shutting down" means what Matt? Just curious. Still race there in... 2015? '16? '17? '20? '50?

AI#97
03-20-2014, 05:18 PM
going to be tough to recreate the track in all 3 dimensions - that z-axis is what makes the track more fun (to me anyway)

"far from shutting down" means what Matt? Just curious. Still race there in... 2015? '16? '17? '20? '50?

if they can actually raise money for phase 1 (utilities, level the site and start building roads), I'd say Mid 2015' depending how much they try to bite off. If they can't raise enough money, they can possibly develop the commercial sites along the highway, sell those to fund the demolition of the track and move deeper into the development site. It will also depend on what the city will allow them to do at each phase. Keep in mind, the city doesn't want unfinished areas they then have to spend money on to finish. Now, those lots out front have been for sale since 2007 at a discount as they have no utilities. Installing utilities will raise the value, but if they haven't sold at X, they aren't going to sell at 2X. Again, hard to find capital to fund this endeavor.

Realistically, we could be racing there for another 4 to 5 years if funding can't be found. on the other hand, we might only get to race there till the end of this year if a pot of gold is found....or the worst case scenario happens. No funding and city raises taxes.

Going off of the response pasted in here about taking 2015 deposits to secure 2015 dates, my $10 bet is the developer is just running this plan up the flag pole to gauge interest and to begin defining what the clean up of the site will cost. You have to start from somewhere right? Then, and only then, once that cost is known, they can put together an investor package to start circulating and advertising to potential investors. If the state comes back and says you must do X, Y and Z, but you must make sure A Thru W are done to the letter of the EPA, this project will be a very tough sell to investors to keep the lot prices down. In theory, the owner could be screwing themselves by creating this MUD. If the city finds a way to say the property, with required improvements, changes in value from $5.4 Million, to say $15M, they are going to annex it in a new York second so they can tax it as being in the city limits. Instantly causes property taxes to go from about $120k/yr, to something like $375k/yr, and it costs the city practically nothing to do so. Combine this increased tax cost and a failure to raise funds and the Owner has 2 choices. Pay off the note with cash and sit on the property till they can get the cash, or file bankruptcy and hand the keys to the bank. Assuming 48 rented weekends at $18k per weekend is only $864,000 in gross revenue. Take out salaries, insurance, maintenance and Debt costs and they are already losing a ton of money every month....although I think the loan has been drastically restructured if you look at public documents in the last few years.

AI#97
03-20-2014, 05:25 PM
Who setup the NOLA track? Seems like a solid model. Onsite track, dragstrip, autocross pad, rallyX site.

Surprised more tracks don't take this approach...

They don't because it is MAJORLY expensive. Costs of Asphalt have doubled in the last 5 years if not more. costs are comparable to concrete these days. Only reason NOLA was built was because the Owner had the cash to build it. I could be wrong but there was ZERO outside financing on that project so the sky was only limited by his wallet. I heard a rumor that the Owner of NOLA didn't need anyone to rent it ever again and he was happy to spend the money....maybe just interwebz rumerz???!!!

Cost to replicate TWS on a reasonable budget would be somewhere in the $5 to $7 million dollar range....IF, you get the right parcel of land, for the right price and don't have to do a lot of dirtwork. It might not have covered garages on day 1 but it would be tight. However, with the pool of enthusiasts in this racing/HPDE community, we have the ability to piece that plan together if it is needed.

Sadly, we all need to be coming to grips that one day or the next, TWS will be gone. Enjoy it while we can. Only way it will be saved is if someone can write a $10-12 million dollar check and not shed a tear while writing the next one for about $600,000 to rehab the track, and then write the payroll checks each month while watching your bank account go into the red....forever. Does anyone have a Sugar Daddy?!

ShadowBolt
03-20-2014, 06:12 PM
I'm worried about where we will race. My brother does M/C tract days and races and they put way more of them on track than they do us. At some point there is not going to be a large enough supply of tracks to run on. For me I would rather run at COTA twice per year but not at anywhere near what they want to charge. I really hope they lose Moto GP and F1 (after the way the grass roots racer has been treated) then they will welcome our money.

JJ

Suck fumes
03-20-2014, 11:11 PM
That's the thing about COTA though....they already made back there $3-400 million from the two F1 races and other events there so I guarantee you they can be as picky as they want as their investors are happy and making money now.m

I really hope we can race there again, it really is an amazing track with nice facilities.

kbrewmr2
03-21-2014, 08:10 AM
Considering how much ol' Bernie charges to have F1 show up I'd be surprised to see them money ahead yet. Revenue =/= profit. Got a financial report or something you can link us to?

Matt - appreciate the insight. Thanks!

ShadowBolt
03-21-2014, 09:35 AM
Considering how much ol' Bernie charges to have F1 show up I'd be surprised to see them money ahead yet. Revenue =/= profit. Got a financial report or something you can link us to?

I agree. If you can make your money back that fast ol' Bernie would have people putting half a billion dollars in his hand just to get a race weekend. If you could make it back in four or five years. I doubt they have paid all the debts in two years but maybe so. I damn sure don't know anything about it.

JJ

kbrewmr2
03-27-2014, 11:11 AM
City Council meeting tonight at 7pm - hope some of y'all that are a bit more local can make it and put some good $0.02 worth in....

Rsmith350
03-28-2014, 08:09 AM
So I'm sure everyone knows that they voted to level our favorite track. It's a sad day for Motorsports in Texas. Will and Dave said they will post their thoughts later, interested to see what they have to say. Change is not always bad but this sucks!

BryanL
03-28-2014, 09:40 AM
So I'm sure everyone knows that they voted to level our favorite track. It's a sad day for Motorsports in Texas. Will and Dave said they will post their thoughts later, interested to see what they have to say. Change is not always bad but this sucks!

No-I didn't know this. So the City approved something I guess. But what has to happen before demolition starts? Any hurdles that have to be cleared?

Rsmith350
03-28-2014, 10:53 AM
Not sure of the details but the city council gave it the green light so it's demise is inevitable. The time frame I have no idea. I'm sure Matt will chime in here shortly with more details

RichardP
03-28-2014, 12:50 PM
http://www.theeagle.com/news/local/article_f3d71416-b637-11e3-96a7-001a4bcf887a.html

MikeS
03-28-2014, 01:25 PM
There's bound to be a lot of lead in the soil from leaded fuel being used over the years.

ShadowBolt
03-28-2014, 01:48 PM
A sad day.

JJ

Rsmith350
03-28-2014, 02:43 PM
They want to go racing but destroy our track

http://www.theeagle.com/news/local/article_feb87d46-b639-11e3-96d5-001a4bcf887a.html?mode=jqm

And yes I know A&M had nothing to do with the track tear down

kbrewmr2
03-31-2014, 09:33 AM
I watched the meeting via webcam, and did note that Crumpacker was there and I also heard MFW was. Sam Crumpacker and Will Faules did speak on our behalf, as well as some others. ~8-9 months minimum to go through all the plans, approvals, traffic and enviornmental studies, etc. was the timeline I understood from what I heard. That would all have to be done before dirt and such started to be moved.

The City Council seemed to be all about them some owner's rights (as a defense against saving the speedway) and were also all about them some "something for nothing" kinda stuff where the developer (and eventually new home buyers) took the cost burden for everything and then they'd get to annex it later and grab all the tax revenue (forgetting that by annexing them they'd also have extra costs in servicing that area too). Sigh.

AI#97
03-31-2014, 03:29 PM
find a few of my posts on the Save TWS facebook page as well as other facebook pages. There is a LOT of "if's" involved and the biggest is IF they can find financing/investors to risk the cost of development based on Taxes being $0.60/$100 value higher than within the city limits. I don't see it happening. The city council asked all the right questions, but they did point out they have no right to tell the owner what to do with the property. The ONLY reason the city liked the idea of the MUD is that they would have some say in traffic flow and "design standards" of all the improvements...ie no more strip clubs or public storage buildings. The current development plan is a mess. It does not meet ANY of the current College station traffic flow or growth patterns nor does it take into account traffic flow out onto TX 6 or the pipeline rd on the backside of the property. All things that are going to affect the Turtle Creek neighborhood which is where all the rich a-holes live. Also, MUD's for CS must have a minimum 1 acre lot. The city will probably grant an exception. I also emailed the council member who during the meeting made a HUGE math error regarding taxes. He surmised that the increase in taxes on a $300,000 house would "only be about $400/yr". He was wrong as it would ACTUALLY be $1800/yr on the same house and $900/yr on a $150k house. Basically a 13th house payment. I haven't received a response...LOL!

Anyway, the Fork isn't stuck in TWS....YET. The Owner has to find investors willing to risk an attempt to sell property with the highest tax rates in the area (25% higher) with ZERO EMS from college station. Not a formula for success. So while the city wants it all to happen, someone has to find stupid rich people to invest in it.

I watched the meeting via webcam, and did note that Crumpacker was there and I also heard MFW was. Sam Crumpacker and Will Faules did speak on our behalf, as well as some others. ~8-9 months minimum to go through all the plans, approvals, traffic and enviornmental studies, etc. was the timeline I understood from what I heard. That would all have to be done before dirt and such started to be moved.

The City Council seemed to be all about them some owner's rights (as a defense against saving the speedway) and were also all about them some "something for nothing" kinda stuff where the developer (and eventually new home buyers) took the cost burden for everything and then they'd get to annex it later and grab all the tax revenue (forgetting that by annexing them they'd also have extra costs in servicing that area too). Sigh.

Fbody383
03-18-2015, 11:19 AM
http://www.kbtx.com/home/headlines/Texas-Speedway-Set-to-Close-to-Develop--296510221.html

Anybody think it's not a done deal? Good thing there's a huge housing deman in BCS.

Maybe a friendly racecar "drive by" in the neighboorhood for the new homeowners... just for fun.

Pranav
03-18-2015, 01:03 PM
It's my mission to break below a 2:00 before they shut down. I was getting closer until I blew my motor there last month.

Let me rephrase that, it's my mission to break below a 2:00 before I blow another motor at TWS again.

AllZWay
03-18-2015, 01:03 PM
It is hard to believe that it will be official in just a few more months.

ShadowBolt
03-18-2015, 01:08 PM
It is hard to believe that it will be official in just a few more months.

I agree. Does not feel real. The new purposed track is spending tons of money fighting the land owners.

JJ

mach1
03-18-2015, 01:10 PM
anyone know if we will be running both directions for the TWS event?

ShadowBolt
03-18-2015, 04:26 PM

I vote yes. I know several others did not like the idea.

JJ

Storm Trooper
03-18-2015, 06:09 PM
I vote yes. I know several others did not like the idea.

JJ

Yes from me :-)

AI#97
03-18-2015, 07:01 PM
http://www.kbtx.com/home/headlines/Texas-Speedway-Set-to-Close-to-Develop--296510221.html

Anybody think it's not a done deal? Good thing there's a huge housing deman in BCS.

Maybe a friendly racecar "drive by" in the neighboorhood for the new homeowners... just for fun.

I'm likely being overly optimistic, but yes, I think the track will close but I am not shedding a tear till I see asphalt getting ripped up. The project was stated last year to be a $90 million deal, now $55M....? It also says he "hopes to break ground in June" which tells me there are no set plans for bulldozers to come in or contracts in place to do so or a design to start contracts on. The fact that the city JUST NOW decided they wanted to accept design review of the development to make sure it meets the planning of CS going forward tells me that the "development" is back at square one again.

Major hurdles to overcome:

1. Interest rates are rumored to be going back up and that always scares off investors in BIG Developments.
2. There are only two entrances to the development for 1400 homes. TX 6 and through Pebble Creek. Those folks in PC don't want all that traffic coming through their neighborhood. Imagine morning and evening rush hour for that many homes...times 1.4 cars per home average.
3. Property taxes will be higher by a lot out there than living in the city AND you will not have EMS services. you get Volunteer FD and Sheriff's dept. CS has no plans to annex as they would need to build a fire station and add several police officers. CS doesn't have the tax revenue to do so any time soon. CS would likely wait till the development...IF the development ever reaches 50% build out.
4. Town and jobs are growing to the west...follow the new walmart and the new A&M Health Science Center. Folks don't want to drive all the way across morning school traffic to get to work when there are houses out on that side of Bryan headed to Snook. There is also an excess of flat farm land that doesn't require millions in removing a 50 year old race track.
5. TxDot is gonna have to pay for a new overpass at the entry to the neighborhood...good luck.
6. New housing in CS is not moving as fast as it was 18 months ago. Builders have a lot of inventory in town....why build outside of town if it costs more?
7. Well, it just doesn't make sense when there is plenty of cheaper land closer to town.

Like I said, I am going to remain optimistic. I even told Charles Von Schmidt (Blue Bonnet Racing Circuit) to find out what the magic number is to buy TWS. There is always a magic number and I have always thought this might be a dog and pony show to bump the perceived value of the property so someone would buy it and let the current owner scoot away with a profit for just sitting on the property. I believe they are short on finding the money to develop the property and a bunch of small town home builders don't have the funds to jump in and buy lots any time soon. Too risky to tear the place down in this market when you could sell it as a race track and possibly double their money to just walk away tomorrow as opposed to taking the risk and MAYBE building out 30% of the home sites over the next 10 years. The housing demand in CS is student housing and they don't want to live 10 miles from campus...nor do they need to. If I were the current owners of TWS, I'd cash out ASAP for say $10-13M, and take that money back to Houston where the market is booming for people needing housing for all the jobs coming to town.

I'm going to keep my dark sparkly goggles on and fingers crossed.

AI#97
03-18-2015, 07:02 PM

Grid setup will require some SMART planning....but I would support this.

ShadowBolt
03-18-2015, 08:00 PM
I'm likely being overly optimistic, but yes, I think the track will close but I am not shedding a tear till I see asphalt getting ripped up. The project was stated last year to be a $90 million deal, now $55M....? It also says he "hopes to break ground in June" which tells me there are no set plans for bulldozers to come in or contracts in place to do so or a design to start contracts on. The fact that the city JUST NOW decided they wanted to accept design review of the development to make sure it meets the planning of CS going forward tells me that the "development" is back at square one again.

Major hurdles to overcome:

1. Interest rates are rumored to be going back up and that always scares off investors in BIG Developments.
2. There are only two entrances to the development for 1400 homes. TX 6 and through Pebble Creek. Those folks in PC don't want all that traffic coming through their neighborhood. Imagine morning and evening rush hour for that many homes...times 1.4 cars per home average.
3. Property taxes will be higher by a lot out there than living in the city AND you will not have EMS services. you get Volunteer FD and Sheriff's dept. CS has no plans to annex as they would need to build a fire station and add several police officers. CS doesn't have the tax revenue to do so any time soon. CS would likely wait till the development...IF the development ever reaches 50% build out.
4. Town and jobs are growing to the west...follow the new walmart and the new A&M Health Science Center. Folks don't want to drive all the way across morning school traffic to get to work when there are houses out on that side of Bryan headed to Snook. There is also an excess of flat farm land that doesn't require millions in removing a 50 year old race track.
5. TxDot is gonna have to pay for a new overpass at the entry to the neighborhood...good luck.
6. New housing in CS is not moving as fast as it was 18 months ago. Builders have a lot of inventory in town....why build outside of town if it costs more?
7. Well, it just doesn't make sense when there is plenty of cheaper land closer to town.

Like I said, I am going to remain optimistic. I even told Charles Von Schmidt (Blue Bonnet Racing Circuit) to find out what the magic number is to buy TWS. There is always a magic number and I have always thought this might be a dog and pony show to bump the perceived value of the property so someone would buy it and let the current owner scoot away with a profit for just sitting on the property. I believe they are short on finding the money to develop the property and a bunch of small town home builders don't have the funds to jump in and buy lots any time soon. Too risky to tear the place down in this market when you could sell it as a race track and possibly double their money to just walk away tomorrow as opposed to taking the risk and MAYBE building out 30% of the home sites over the next 10 years. The housing demand in CS is student housing and they don't want to live 10 miles from campus...nor do they need to. If I were the current owners of TWS, I'd cash out ASAP for say $10-13M, and take that money back to Houston where the market is booming for people needing housing for all the jobs coming to town.

I'm going to keep my dark sparkly goggles on and fingers crossed.

I never understood when I saw all the land on both sides of the highway on both ends of town that would cost way less to develop. I certainly don't know anything about it but what will it cost just to take the hill out? What about all the possible chemicals that have been dumped on the ground over the years? I wish it was not really going but the schedule is clear after June.

JJ