PDA

View Full Version : Turning floating rotors

mach1
03-14-2014, 12:41 PM
Does anyone know if you can/where you can get floating rotors turned?

BlueFirePony
03-14-2014, 08:14 PM
Does anyone know if you can/where you can get floating rotors turned?
Some cannot...some can.
Depends on the rotor, but If the rotors are largely cast iron and have a specified range for thickness they can be turned, technically, to just shy of their minimum thickness (taking them to their min would mean they would quickly drop below min during use).
If in doubt, contact the mfr. Some specifically say not too do so in their tech bulletins.
I had my DBA 5000s turned when I had some uneven spots and runout.
Edit: as for where? The guy that did ours apparently closed shop so I don't have a specific referral - just make sure whoever it is knows how...some will do a single "cleaning" cut first to get through the job quick which will damage the rotor (as well as the tips of their tool as well probably). I've been told (by DBA and APR engineers) that it is preferable to do several (as many as 5 or so) equal fine cuts at slow speed to clean through the crap and then as many as needed to smooth the rotor. Make sure the mounting face is clean, not just the disc surface. The first time I had a rotor machined years ago I had no clue and neither did the machinist...the mounting surface was just a tad dirty and all the machining did was build runout into the disc.

j3ffbrooks
03-15-2014, 09:12 AM
When I was in Austin I had a shop machine all my rotors and they used a horizontal circular type milling machine rather than a lathe. Unfortunately that shop closed down. I don't think I ever had floating rotors done but I suspect that its possible and easier with that machine. You might message Richard Painter here on the forum and see if he has the ability to do the rotors as he's probably close to you.