PDA

View Full Version : What to cover battery post terminals?

BryanL
04-16-2014, 09:23 AM
Putting a battery in with top and side posts. The top posts won't be used but the battery hold down is fairly close to the top posts. What is legal/safe to use to cover them up?

Fbody383
04-16-2014, 11:14 AM
Putting a battery in with top and side posts. The top posts won't be used but the battery hold down is fairly close to the top posts. What is legal/safe to use to cover them up?
Only have to cover the +12 one; glue on one of the factory terminal covers and insulate the hold down too.

BryanL
04-16-2014, 12:54 PM
Thanks. Don't know that I have a factory terminal cover or have a clue what it looks like. Will strips of coolant hose be okay for insulation? Were is our tech guy-by the way Ross-hopefully I'll need an annual on Friday and a new log book. Guys coming back from a totaled car should get some slack on the sticker charge too-hah.

Rsmith350
04-16-2014, 01:22 PM
Thanks. Don't know that I have a factory terminal cover or have a clue what it looks like. Will strips of coolant hose be okay for insulation? Were is our tech guy-by the way Ross-hopefully I'll need an annual on Friday and a new log book. Guys coming back from a totaled car should get some slack on the sticker charge too-hah.

We don't give no stinkin' breaks! As long as it is made from an insulating material and is firmly held in place, we should be ok with it. Considering most guys slide by with electrical tape covering it, I think you'll be ok.

Fbody383
04-16-2014, 03:11 PM
Plasti Dip?

y5e06
04-16-2014, 03:25 PM
find a proper terminal cover of some plastic type, drill and tap the lead post for machine screw/bolt, attach the small cover w/ a nylon bolt (non conducting).
you know, Rube Goldberg it.

Rsmith350
04-16-2014, 03:26 PM
an insulating material and is firmly held in place
Haha! I can scratch plastic dip off with my fingernail

Rob Liebbe
04-17-2014, 08:55 AM
Seems like I've purchased terminal covers at Autozone or O'Reiley's.

marshall_mosty
04-17-2014, 06:28 PM
ask the AutoZone guy for some of the temporary covers they use for shipment. RTV them on.. Should be good to go for almost free ninety free.