PDA

View Full Version : Meet me at the dyno?

mach1
04-29-2014, 09:08 AM
I know a lot of you guys were suspicious of my power at TWS, MSR-C was the same way imo if you watch my start from that video. Right before R1 at MSR I went to gearheads and got the car on the rollers, I have attached the dyno, the 3rd run the car overheated and blew water all over the dyno room so the power was down. Anyway, I think I had a few things going for me at TWS, 3.27's so everyone had another shift, I really seem to "pull" when everyone went into 5th and I was still wringing out 4th until the braking zone. I spoke with Al after R4 and insisted that he seal my hood, he came back with a tech sticker with his autograph on it and sealed it up. I am planning on going to gearheads in south arlington sometime Friday afternoon, is anyone interested in meeting me there? If not, I will video the whole thing. If anyone has any comments, don't be shy, post em up.

http://supraspeed.com/cmcdyno.png

Fbody383
04-29-2014, 09:31 AM
Welcome to the group. I think you're a great add with some fantastic skills. From my perspective I think you were able to get back on the power early in places I couldn't. On starts, I think you make a good observation on gearing, engine sweet spot, etc.

Or... you're just a cheatin' t-sippin longhorn mustang guy.

ShadowBolt
04-29-2014, 10:02 AM
Hi Tyler,

I was watching during R1 and R4 and I could not believe how fast you were going by the other cars. I'm running 3:31's so I don't think that is all of it. I was shifting to fifth after start/finish. I told Keven you were way over power or getting through turn 2, 1A, and 1 faster than all the rest of us. Kevin said it was the latter! That would explain it if you are. I can tell you it was impressive. If you somehow are over power and that is why you were blowing by everyone it will not be just a few H/P. I don't know if 30 h/p difference alone would move a car that much faster than the others. I don't see your car being that much over. I'm betting Keven is right and you just showed us how slow we are all are going through turn two. If you were doing what I saw with power only you are going to be waaaay over. Everyone is happy you are in the group and you are a good guy that will fit in well. In my five years I have never seen a car pass another in CMC like you were. We are sure going to look like fools if you come back at your same numbers! Welcome to CMC Tyler. We are glad you are racing with us.

JJ

GlennCMC70
04-29-2014, 12:03 PM
I will be there. Get me the info.

blk96gt
04-29-2014, 12:14 PM
Yeah I think it was your line through 2-1. I was behind you for the last race and once or twice I nailed 2-1 and kept up, but when I didn't you left me.

Trublu
04-29-2014, 12:27 PM
Hey Tyler, I enjoyed racing with you this weekend, it's great to have another fox on the track to keep the Camaro boys honest. If it does turn out to be a dyno/restrictor issue I have a set of alluminum restrictor plates I'd be willing to part with. You can give me a call 832 8six3 2314 if you need them.

ShadowBolt
04-29-2014, 12:36 PM
Hey Tyler, I enjoyed racing with you this weekend, it's great to have another fox on the track to keep the Camaro boys honest. If it does turn out to be a dyno/restrictor issue I have a set of alluminum restrictor plates I'd be willing to part with. You can give me a call 832 8six3 2314 if you need them.

I have a set in my RV you are welcome to also.

JJ

BryanL
04-29-2014, 04:33 PM
I'll comment-I wish it was me that had my hood sealed as I would take it as a compliment. There have been others talked about cheating in the past-well if you aren't cheating then it should only make you feel good and willing to proof it. No doubt you can drive the Foxy around well as I followed you-heck I even passed you after the straight-though I wasn't even planning a pass. I just didn't want to behind someone braking and you go really low. I was so surprised I didn't even bother to remember to keep braking before the left hander so it was an easy decision to just drive it off.
Now-your dyno graph does surprise me as I would like to think you would need to be closer to the max numbers to run that well but we have seen cars in the old CMC days run fast with only 220 hp.

My question is I heard you were running a restrictor? If so then why are your numbers so low and what is your motor combination that you need a restrictor with a 5.0? I'm not well versed with the options for the 5.0 but to my knowledge I have only seen the carb guys need to restrict which doesn't surprise me when I hear those things idling and look at the single plane intakes. I have never looked under the hood of your car though.

Al Fernandez
04-29-2014, 08:14 PM
Tyler, classy move bud, thanks. If you are over I'm sure its an honest mistake due to your...ummm...simplistic restrictor arrangement ;)

The nice thing about the 5.0 is that you can build one that is under, over, or right at the numbers depending on what parts you choose between the cam, manifolds/shorties, and all of the cobra parts.

mach1
04-30-2014, 09:03 AM
I'll comment-I wish it was me that had my hood sealed as I would take it as a compliment. There have been others talked about cheating in the past-well if you aren't cheating then it should only make you feel good and willing to proof it. No doubt you can drive the Foxy around well as I followed you-heck I even passed you after the straight-though I wasn't even planning a pass. I just didn't want to behind someone braking and you go really low. I was so surprised I didn't even bother to remember to keep braking before the left hander so it was an easy decision to just drive it off.
Now-your dyno graph does surprise me as I would like to think you would need to be closer to the max numbers to run that well but we have seen cars in the old CMC days run fast with only 220 hp.

My question is I heard you were running a restrictor? If so then why are your numbers so low and what is your motor combination that you need a restrictor with a 5.0? I'm not well versed with the options for the 5.0 but to my knowledge I have only seen the carb guys need to restrict which doesn't surprise me when I hear those things idling and look at the single plane intakes. I have never looked under the hood of your car though.

Just to make it clear, I approached Al and asked him to seal it after R4. If you look at the date/time on my dyno you can see it was right before R1 on Sat for MSR-C, I wanted to make sure I was legal before the race so I rushed up there, it made too much power so I blocked 3/4+ of the air filter and the power came in under, at that point I packed up and left to get to the race. Motor is stock 165k explorer bottom end with new bearings, canton pan, gt40p heads, e-cam, explorer intake, 1.7 cobra rockers.