PDA

View Full Version : Cost to haul a car to the track

mach1
07-01-2014, 01:36 PM
Anyone know what it would cost to have someone transport a car to and from the track? I'm guessing this is charged per mile, I've heard $1.50/mile. Anyone have experience with this?

Wade
07-01-2014, 02:05 PM
If you have to ask then you can't afford it?

mach1
07-01-2014, 02:13 PM
If you have to ask then you can't afford it?

Was that a statement or a question? I'm just trying to get a ballpark idea on what it costs. I'm considering getting rid of my towing setup, trying to weigh my options.

Wade
07-01-2014, 04:35 PM
I have no experience in this area but make the assumption that it is quite costly. Considering the fact that you will still have to drive yourself to each race, you wouldn't be saving much in fuel. I know one person who felt that it would be cheaper to rent a U-Haul trailer for $69.99/trip, rather than pay $60/mo storage for one that he owned, but after missing an event due to UHaul losing his reservation and not having a trailer available, he decided it was better to maintain control of his own trailer. Unless you a paying a race team to store/prep/deliver your car and then pick it up and take it back to their shop, I wouldn't trust a "normal" auto carrier to stick to your schedule. If you can afford a team for your prep, please move up to AI. Too rich for CMC :-p

Suck fumes
07-01-2014, 05:11 PM
The only time you might save some gas money is if the event is really far away and you just fly there and have it transported. But it just depends how far away it is. Going to Texas tracks would be cheaper hauling it yourself.

kbrewmr2
07-01-2014, 05:22 PM
About the only way I'd expect my car to make it there reliably to all TX region events would be to get it onboard with one of the Spec Miata shops that trailer customer cars and their own rental cars. If they have room for you. And then who knows how much that costs....?

The few times I've priced shipping a car for NASA Nationals and then flying myself out (nevermind Laura) it was about twice the cost as towing it myself even putting in a factor for wear & tear on truck, trailer, etc. and estimating much more fuel usage than actually happened. Then add in rental car to get from airport to track & have a runabout vehicle and other misc extras and it's just not even the same ballpark anymore.

It's a nice luxury to just show up and have the car magically appear there, but, like all luxuries they aren't going to be cheap.

Suck fumes
07-01-2014, 05:51 PM
You just gotta be friends with people who have big trailers haha

marshall_mosty
07-01-2014, 08:05 PM
I know that Michael rented trucks from Enterprise and then put a ball Hitch on it. Granted there were no trailer brakes, but it worked in a pinch when my Dad's truck wasn't available.

JMR81
07-02-2014, 08:44 AM
Transportation is one of the major expenses if you have to pay for it. our experience has been that if you are using a shop and their support.it ranges anywhere from $1.00 pm for a miata to $1.25 for some thing larger. If you want them just to take your car to the track expect to pay more. unless of course you are a retainer customer then you may get a discount transportation. Fact is there is no inexpensive way to do it if you have to travel a long distance. When you factor in hotel, gas, food time off from work etc.. the other side is airfare and rental cars, although last year we did pull the fuel pump out of a rental car so we could make the race.

mach1
07-02-2014, 11:25 AM
Thanks for the info guys, I appreciate it.

AI#97
07-03-2014, 01:58 PM
Tyler, go through Alex (DOCHTR) on DFWmustangs. His dad owns Capps rental trucks. Maybe he can help you get a deal. Dave Capps also races with us occasionally.

Some of our CMC crew are driving older chevy pickups with 200-300k miles on them that they pick up for cheap off craigslist.

If you are thinking of having your car towed to atlanta for example, find a buddy with a rig and cover his costs to get the car there and back. He can also crew for you at the event. You never know what you might find out there.