PDA

View Full Version : Those running Griggs panhard bars on foxes....inspect your parts!

AI#97
07-14-2014, 03:49 PM
Saw a significant failure of a griggs panhard bar axle end bracket this weekend on Mark Betin's old fox. The axle bracket which braces to the diff cover pulled out of the square tube and then TORE the thin wall 2" square tube nearly in half. an hour of welding and repair later I was able to make it stronger than it ever was but this was after it already chewed up two tires getting the car back in off track. I was also not impressed with the use of 1/2" bolts for mounting the pan hard bar but if the brackets fail before the bolts do, I suppose it's not an issue! LOL!

Check your welds and all your major parts often.

marshall_mosty
07-14-2014, 05:15 PM
Saw a significant failure of a griggs panhard bar axle end bracket this weekend on Mark Betin's old fox. The axle bracket which braces to the diff cover pulled out of the square tube and then TORE the thin wall 2" square tube nearly in half. an hour of welding and repair later I was able to make it stronger than it ever was but this was after it already chewed up two tires getting the car back in off track. I was also not impressed with the use of 1/2" bolts for mounting the pan hard bar but if the brackets fail before the bolts do, I suppose it's not an issue! LOL!

Check your welds and all your major parts often.

I had a similar failure, but in the Griggs Watts Link at Hallett... I had a tension failure of the PS frame side going thru a left hander... After about an hour of welding (Thanks Dan), I was also good to go...

AI#97
07-14-2014, 06:06 PM
I had a similar failure, but in the Griggs Watts Link at Hallett... I had a tension failure of the PS frame side going thru a left hander... After about an hour of welding (Thanks Dan), I was also good to go...

I was considering the griggs watts link for my mustang....however, no more. I will make one like I did on the Camaro. I think I have $275 in the whole thing and I can buy replacement parts at Tractor Supply and Autozone (bell crank).

marshall_mosty
07-14-2014, 09:42 PM
I was considering the griggs watts link for my mustang....however, no more. I will make one like I did on the Camaro. I think I have $275 in the whole thing and I can buy replacement parts at Tractor Supply and Autozone (bell crank).

The frame part is the only part of the Griggs setup that I think might be suspect. The rest is standard circle track stuff and/or made from billet aluminum and is plenty beefy.

Wade
07-15-2014, 01:14 PM
I had multiple failures on the Grigg PHB on my fox. The same type of failure as described in the original post. I got tired of constantly replacing/rewelding/gusseting the part, and the worse part was that it constantly worked itself loose causing the diff cover to leak. I cut everything out and converted to the Maximum Motorsports set up. Zero issues since.