PDA

View Full Version : 1999 Chevy Camaro Z28 - American Iron Car potentially for sale

MikeP99Z
09-09-2014, 09:42 AM
After 20 years of racing - I'm tired, feel beat up, and I'm just plain not motivated these days to wrench on it or any other car.

Minor damage from Atlanta including tie rod/spindle/wheel/alignment being repaired/replaced at the moment. Ball joints also being replaced. Car has a few rub marks on it and a slightly dinged hood. Windshield just got cracked from a rock, but I'll replace it after TWS for the buyer.

Motor has 1.5 seasons on it (HKE-built 363whp/368wtq detuned for running 9.25:1 with factory ABS). Trans just has Atlanta on it and has the 0.80 5th gear. Rearend ring/pinion has just Atlanta on it.

I'm essentially gauging interest in the sale, and am not completely set in parting ways with it, but I'm considering the sale of the car before I embark on completely redoing the front end for more aero / less weight and reengineering an 8.8 to replace the 10-bolt. I'm in no rush, it can sit in the garage.

The car would be available after TWS. Transponder and Texas Thunder group #8 not included. PM for details if you are serious. $35k - $39k depending on what you want regarding spares. Higher offers always considered =)

ShadowBolt
09-09-2014, 02:23 PM
Damn, you and James plotting to take over the world? Sorry to hear this.

JJ

AI#97
09-09-2014, 03:37 PM
Did Mitch hack your account?! ;)

Why don't you uncork that sucker and come play in ST?! Misty is getting a new monster motor and mine is running right finally!

As for the rear end....I too will be looking for something soon. Misty's car will be making about 530 to the tire so the 10 bolt is likely going to give up the ghost in short order but I am going to try and make it live for now. We don't do standing starts so much less stress.

ShadowBolt
09-09-2014, 05:51 PM
Or sell the AI car and buy a CMC car and come race with us for way less money.

JJ

Suck fumes
09-09-2014, 06:01 PM
Keep it for a little while. I wanna see if I can keep up with you haha

MikeP99Z
09-09-2014, 06:11 PM
Keep it for a little while. I wanna see if I can keep up with you haha
You'd keep up just fine. I'd likely be chasing you. Kagan has the same setup in his Mustang (SN99 with a Coyote) and it is fast.

I'm also tired of the RR tire bill...

ShadowBolt
09-09-2014, 07:29 PM
You'd keep up just fine. I'd likely be chasing you. Kagan has the same setup in his Mustang (SN99 with a Coyote) and it is fast.

I'm also tired of the RR tire bill...

Can't we come up with some kind of answer for he tire issue? There are a lot of smart people that race in NASA. Someway there has to be an answer. Can NASA not put pressure on Toyo for a longer lasting tire?

JJ

Suck fumes
09-09-2014, 08:29 PM
At this point Maxxis looks pretty shiny. They give away free tires if you win.

smitty328
09-09-2014, 09:56 PM
Can't we come up with some kind of answer for he tire issue? There are a lot of smart people that race in NASA. Someway there has to be an answer. Can NASA not put pressure on Toyo for a longer lasting tire?

JJ

The R&D time required for a new longer lasting tire would likely take longer than we are willing to wait. I think one of NASA’s solution to this problem would be for us to go to the two race per weekend format. Half the races, half the tire expense. I don’t think anyone in our region wants that
So what’s the solution? What if we all agree to go to RA1s only?

We could even take it further and limit the number of tires you can buy in one season. This would add another factor to the overall racing strategy. What tires to qualify with? How much do you shave the tires? Do you use the older tires for inverts? Should you plan race drops based on how your tires are holding up? Lots of different variables.

Now here’s the problem. Let’s say we have a six or seven race weekend season and we get three sets of tires and two backups for a total of fourteen tires. How do we police the number of tires each person gets? And how do you stop someone from using their rains when it kinda looked like it might rain during the race?

I think I just pissed off someone at Toyo

Just some thoughts

Anyone…?

Suck fumes
09-09-2014, 10:28 PM
Limiting tires would be very interesting and challenging! I like it!

GlennCMC70
09-09-2014, 10:39 PM
In the glory days of the RA1 (2005 to 2009? ) there was a saying about tires -Thin to win!
seemed like the tires were fastest just before they would show cords.
Life was simple then. Shave to 4/32nd and run them till they get so thin they cant keep the air in.
That is what a spec tire should be.
We used to say the RA1's sucked, but they sucked for a long time.

Supercharged111
09-09-2014, 10:51 PM

Fuck 'em, they exist because of us and NOT vice versa. I wish big NASA would get this through their money grubbing heads.

AllZWay
09-10-2014, 08:09 AM
Fuck 'em, they exist because of us and NOT vice versa. I wish big NASA would get this through their money grubbing heads.

Me too.... I used to use 2 full sets of tires per season... even with the last version of the RA1, a set lasted about a weekend and a half. I have not ran the RR, but it sounds to be a set a weekend or not be competitive.

Sorry Mike.. we have crapped up your sale post.

michaelmosty
09-10-2014, 09:35 AM
Could we ditch Toyo and pick our own tire?
I'd say we all buy 1 set of 200 treadwear tires and run them for the entire season. The total cost would be under $1k / person. Sure we'd lose a couple of seconds / lap but we'd still all be on the same tire.

AI#97
09-10-2014, 04:03 PM
Just in case anyone cared.....Mike is selling his race car.

MikeP99Z
09-10-2014, 04:39 PM
Blazing Saddles anyone?

Here I stand, the Camaro of Desire
Set Mustangs on fire
I have this power
Morning noon and night it's drink and wrench
Some quick racing
And then a shower
Mustangs always surround me
They always hound me
With one request
Who can satisfy their lustful habits
I'm not a rabbit
I need some rest

I'm tired
Sick and tired of racing
I've had my fill of Toyos
From below and above
Tired, tired of working on car
Tired of racing uninspired
Let's face it
I'm tired

I've been in 1000's of races
Again and again
Tire companies promise the moon
Heat cycles always coming and going
Going and coming
And always too soon
Right racers?

I'm tired,
Tired of playing the game
Ain't it a crying shame
I'm so tired
God dammit I'm exhausted

Thanks Madeline Kahn...

Fbody383
09-10-2014, 09:55 PM
Blazing Saddles anyone?

Here I stand, the Camaro of Desire
Set Mustangs on fire
I have this power
Morning noon and night it's drink and wrench
Some quick racing
And then a shower
Mustangs always surround me
They always hound me
With one request
Who can satisfy their lustful habits
I'm not a rabbit
I need some rest

I didn't get a Harumph! outta that guy...

mitchntx
09-11-2014, 07:12 AM
After 20 years of racing - I'm tired, feel beat up, and I'm just plain not motivated these days to wrench on it or any other car.

Yup ...

Two years has flown by ...
http://www.aicmctexas.com/showthread.php?4406-Been-an-interesting-ride

You need guns.
http://lawmotorsports.net/mw/Collection_1.jpg

Blowin' shit up ... on purpose ... is way more fun than by accident.

Last fall, a bunch of us blew up a Mustang with 20lbs of tannerite.
http://youtu.be/mqDn-_wn-Q8
Those things frag nicely.

AI#97
09-11-2014, 07:44 AM
mmmmm guns!

Mitch, why so many AR's...? Are you a prep'r?

mitchntx
09-11-2014, 07:57 AM
mmmmm guns!

Mitch, why so many AR's...? Are you a prep'r?

Not a prep'er, just an enjoyer.
There are two of us that use ... Deb is a better shot than I am.

So there are:

two 22LRs
three 556s (because they are stupid cheap right now)
one 5.7x28 (because a 22 caliber round that will penetrate kevlar is just cool)
one 300BLK (pigs)
two 308s (deer)

All have suppressors.

An SBR is waiting on the tax stamp, a dozen or so 1911s and as many polymer and wheel guns and enough ammo that I could have paid off my mortgage had I sold out at the peak of the panic.

And all for the price of a single CMC race car.

ShadowBolt
09-11-2014, 08:17 AM
Different strokes for different folks.

Shooting is really fun but for me and just me it does not compare to racing.

Now I have been deep into a lot of different things. I was into golf for awhile where that is all I thought about, also flying small airplanes (general aviation and RC) so I understand about changing hobbies.

JJ

AI#97
09-11-2014, 08:38 AM

So there are:

two 22LRs
one 300BLK (pigs)
two 308s (deer)

All have suppressors.

An SBR is waiting on the tax stamp, a dozen or so 1911s and as many polymer and wheel guns and enough ammo that I could have paid off my mortgage had I sold out at the peak of the panic.

Wow. If you did all that for the price you sold the CMC car, you did very well.

Imagine what Mike could do if he sold the AI car and got into shooting! ;)

smitty328
09-11-2014, 11:24 AM

So there are:

two 22LRs
one 300BLK (pigs)
two 308s (deer)

All have suppressors.

I would love to have that 300BLK with a suppressor

mitchntx
09-11-2014, 11:34 AM
Wow. If you did all that for the price you sold the CMC car, you did very well.

Imagine what Mike could do if he sold the AI car and got into shooting! ;)

I'd like to take credit as a shrewd trader, but actually was very lucky.
All the ammo was purchased before the panic.

I bought, sold and traded several guns along the way and have done OK.

One thing I have learned, though ... unlike a CMC car, I can use a gun for a while and pretty much sell or trade it without losing any $$$.
And ammo and an occasional cotton patch down the barrel is all the consumables and maintenance that's required.

Jerry, if I were racing with my Dad or one of my kids, I'd probably think differently.

Mike's comments mimmick my thoughts back in the day.
When a hobby turns into work, its no longer a hobby.
I understand

I do miss many of the people I met along the way.
Thank you Robert for making the time to call me and let me know about Rueth-a-palooza.
That meant a lot to me.

Free bump for Mike's car for sale.

BryanL
09-11-2014, 11:35 AM
Mike-I understand where you are coming from and sure could understand you being burned out. You spend more time at the track, working on your car, helping everyone in the world with their car issues that it was bound to happen. I did that to myself one year with a wiring fiasco before TWS in April. After that race the car went on stands and a cover put on it-I dont' think I even knew it was there for around 6 months. I really thought you were going to run a very limited schedule this year too. So, good luck if you sell your car or if you just take a break. Though I'll put money on it that you can't stay out of the game for too long. Let's go SpecE46 racing!

Mitch-quit bringing in the ATF to look at our forum. I'll definitely call before I ever come knocking on your door or snooping around your shop for any leftover F-body parts! Miss you at the track-wish a Chicken Fried Ribeye at Sweety Pie's would be enough to get to come crew chief at ECR-I need help. Though maybe I should focus my efforts on Mike being my crew chief-he is much smaller.

mitchntx
09-11-2014, 11:37 AM
I would love to have that 300BLK with a suppressor

The new pig rig is a Remington 700 SPS. Suppressed and subsonic ammo is nothing but a rush of air.
Traded a Smith 642 for it.

300BLK subsonic will run a carbine length AR but not 308 subsonic in an AR platform.
I'd have to turn the gas block WAY up.

Bryan,

Meet Mr. Kel-Tec ...
http://lawmotorsports.net/mw/Kel_Tec_12g_01.jpg

15 rounds of 12g dialogue.
Traded a Beretta 391 for this guy.

Feels good to come back and trash a thread with a bunch of off-topic jibberish.
Ah ... the good ole days.

MikeP99Z
09-11-2014, 12:07 PM
Bryan - I've put it under a cover before, and am not opposed to doing that. It comes down to expenditures for the time being. I've spent way too much this year on only doing three events, and the tire budget just puts me over the edge. SpecE46 does not resolve my tire debacle (they are on the RR also). We'll see if I find the right buyer for the right price. An official listing for the sale will be created after TWS.

I could easily sink another $20k into the car to gain a second. I just can't justify it right now. At some point you have to realize when enough is enough.

I love being at the track, hanging out drinking, BS'ing, and helping others when I can with my limited skills. That probably won't change. I'm just worn out on the spending and wrenching.

Mitch - that's a helluva cool collection. That pig gun is sick! Hmmm..blowing up Fox-bodies - interesting =)

AI#97
09-11-2014, 01:02 PM
Bryan - I've put it under a cover before, and am not opposed to doing that. It comes down to expenditures for the time being. I've spent way too much this year on only doing three events, and the tire budget just puts me over the edge. SpecE46 does not resolve my tire debacle (they are on the RR also). We'll see if I find the right buyer for the right price. An official listing for the sale will be created after TWS.

I could easily sink another $20k into the car to gain a second. I just can't justify it right now. At some point you have to realize when enough is enough.

I love being at the track, hanging out drinking, BS'ing, and helping others when I can with my limited skills. That probably won't change. I'm just worn out on the spending and wrenching.

Mitch - that's a helluva cool collection. That pig gun is sick! Hmmm..blowing up Fox-bodies - interesting =)

Need to blow up S197's! ;) Sorry Mark!

Mike, you are probably a cam swap and a set of heads away from 3 seconds or more. The coyote swap and 120rwhp netted me nearly 5 seconds. Wasn't anywhere near that price you mentioned! Granted, you won't be in AI any more but who cares? Goof off with us knuckle draggers in Blitz and blow the cake eaters off into the weeds. Just trade RD duties with whoever if running thunder. With a few more cars in ST1, we are getting a set of hoo hoos or BFG's each weekend for a win and 2 tires for second and 1 tire for 3rd with 7 cars! ;)

AllZWay
09-11-2014, 01:03 PM

Mike sounds so much where I am right now it is crazy.

smitty328
09-11-2014, 03:34 PM
Need to blow up S197's! ;) Sorry Mark!

That's OK, everyone knows it's the car and not me.

Besides, If they ever do get rid of the S197 (lucky for me they won't) I'll still sit around and drink everyone else's beer.

BryanL
09-11-2014, 03:54 PM
Mike sounds so much where I am right now it is crazy.

I hear you and agree. Why I have to thank Mitch/Glenn for talking me out of going AI with my car when I bought it. It's a great class but not for me. I'm certainly interested in your limited skills helping my heap and I won't make you wrench-but there isn't any coors light in my cooler-but there sure could be.

Well the SpecE46 would be probably 800 lbs lighter than your car, 50% less power, and a lot less money to maintain and no upgrades so it might do a decent job of solving the tire debacle. Though I guess the pinata's may run a new set every weekend?

ShadowBolt
09-11-2014, 04:14 PM
Though I guess the pinata's may run a new set every weekend?

I was told "if you have more than five heat cycles on your RR's don't expect to finish in the top five".

JJ

Supercharged111
09-12-2014, 10:33 AM
So where's a slacker on RA1s stand? Seems to me the RA1 might be better than the RR once you get enough cycles on the RR huh? I decided not to drink the RR kool-aid this year and see everyone else's thoughts on it, but I need to make a strategic decision for tires next year. My times were farther off than normal for July's race and I can't decide if it was the car, driver, or tires.

MikeP99Z
09-12-2014, 02:15 PM
Anybody wanna buy a fast car? Only 15,400 miles on the chassis. Driven a few weekends per year.

AllZWay
09-12-2014, 02:53 PM
Anybody wanna buy a fast car? Only 15,400 miles on the chassis. Driven a few weekends per year.

LOL... at least people are looking at your ad. :D

MikeP99Z
09-12-2014, 05:20 PM
;)

marshall_mosty
09-12-2014, 07:02 PM

You should advertise as a "low miles, weekend only, always garage kept, One owner, adult driven"... Lol

Al Fernandez
09-14-2014, 11:50 AM
lol Marshall

BlueFirePony
09-14-2014, 08:12 PM
[QUOTE=smitty328;69629]
QUOTE]

Why should they be pissed and if they are who cares? They built a tire with egregious longevity - TWICE - and f'd up logistics more than once leading to racers having to barter in internet forums just to get tires for races.
Piss away

MikeP99Z
06-03-2015, 08:18 PM
Tire contingency has improved since the original post. Thanks Toyo!

Buy the car (always for sale for the right stack o' cash), win free tires!