PDA

View Full Version : 4th gen F-bodies with LS motors....in here. Oil pan?

AI#97
09-11-2014, 01:10 PM
Misty is getting a new bullet for the Evil Pink Thing and since she is spending a hefty chunk of change on it, I am doing everything we can to make it last as long as the current motor has. I believe she is still running the factory F-body oil pan and we really haven't had any issues so far, however, with additional hp and grip, I want to make sure we are doing what we can to protect the new motor.

What oil pans are you familiar with for improving the LS for road racing? I will go look at Fraxx and LS1 tech, but figured I would ping the AI racers or CMC guys that know and maybe save some google time.

I think there is a Moroso and a Milodon with batwings to capacity, but not sure if that is the cure. I have also read about drilling holes in the lifter buckets to let oil drain back better but will have to see what comes with the new motor when it arrives.

Gracias!

MikeP99Z
09-11-2014, 01:53 PM
I run the F-body oil pan with an Improved Racing baffle (had to modify it a bit to fit). My pickup tube is bent slightly down to help capture oil lower in the pan. Oil cooler is an integrated side tank in the radiator. I have a Melling oil pump (high volume i think vs. high pressure - i'd have to look up the part number). I do not have an accusump. My oil pressure is great running 15/50 oil, although I think the engine builder would be happier if I ran 10/30 based on bearing clearance. I had drilled the lifter bucket holes on my last motor. This one doesn't have any drilled holes.

I'm still working on the catch can design, I still think I push too much oil into it (valve cover baffle issue??)

BryanL
09-11-2014, 03:17 PM
Don't know anything about the oil pans. Curious to hear if they work for road racing and if the batwing would fit in an f body.

I ran an Accusump in the wrecked car. Previous owner installed-prior he popped 4 motors in 6 races. I have seen it dump and haven't had an oil issue as far as low pressure. Run 15/50 Motul per Mike P. When I had to swap subframes I installed the improved racing baffle and had to do some grinding for it to go in.
New car-will be installing the accusump that used to be on the car sometime.

I have issues like Mike with pushing oil. Still don't have a great setup and think there needs to be more venting. At Hallett I added a second catch tank as it was filling up once I didn't have any hoses going to the intake. But I seemed to lose more oil. Wrecked car I also ran the orificed ls6 tray under the intake-can't think of the name now.

For the power you are talking about I think you may need to consider a dry sump setup. I believe that is what most of the vette guys do with that kind of power but would double check. Maybe check with Louis. Check the road racing forum on corvette forum. I think there are some high hp road racing vettes and think you will find most have gone to a dry sump.

AI#97
09-11-2014, 03:30 PM
car only generates maybe 1.4G in corners with a spike to 1.7 to 1.8 in T7 at TWS....and that is going away. I really don't think a dry sump is necessary in a camaro. A vette, yeah, I could see that as it generates up to 2.0g and beyond on steam roller slicks.

PUshing oil has not been a problem on this motor. might generate 4 to 5 ounces every other weekend with current setup. Maybe it's just a tight motor? Crossing fingers for same scenario with new motor.

where do I find this "improved racing baffle" at?

I would consider the dry sump but only if I find the parts used from a nascar thrift store and would have to spend hours finding an oil pan on the web. I also won't waste my time with an accusump as I feel all they do is give you 8 seconds more time to recognize the gauge and are additional points of failure or leaks. Unless you have a low pressure light, it's pointless.

Thanks for the input and help. I'm also researching rear ends right now. I think we are going to look for a Hostess sponsorship because this is the Pink Snowball where the mustang was the previous Snowball.

MikeP99Z
09-11-2014, 04:14 PM
http://www.improvedracing.com/baffles/ls1-camaro-firebird-body-racing-oil-pan-baffle-p-30.html

marshall_mosty
09-13-2014, 02:33 PM
http://www.improvedracing.com/baffles/ls1-camaro-firebird-body-racing-oil-pan-baffle-p-30.html
Really cool that someone came up with something for a stock pan.

rleng1
09-17-2014, 10:58 PM
Same one that I run.