PDA

View Full Version : Nats Tech

jeffburch
09-21-2006, 07:41 AM
Please list here the stuff that was checked on your car at tech.
jb

#8Car
Engine vacuum
weight
air box
rear camber
ride height
computer and all wiring
fire ex. accessibility
fuel pressure

After one race they were wanting me to dyno but when I told them I had dyno'd the day before on the track dyno, and had the paperwork on it and my new cert, they balked.

I also saw Sam walking around with a durometer.

Mike Bell
09-21-2006, 08:33 AM
Will regional tech be stepping up as a result of things learned at Nationals? Makes me wonder how my car would fare under such scrutiny.

GlennCMC70
09-21-2006, 08:40 AM
fuel pressure
weight
air box
nomex socks
belts date

i saw the guy w/ the durometer. he checked Todds new shaved RA1's.
i didnt get looked @ too hard.

michaelmosty
09-21-2006, 08:55 AM
This is a totally different question about Nats tech but:
With all the talk and inspection before and during the Nationals, what the deal with letting guys race with decals that are totally "illegal" per the rule books. I know it would be pretty shitty to get dq'd b/c of a trivial decal discrepancy but aren't they supposed to be following the "rules"?
I know it is a rediculous question but just trying to see if the topic got brought up.

AllZWay
09-21-2006, 09:00 AM
This is a totally different question about Nats tech but:
With all the talk and inspection before and during the Nationals, what the deal with letting guys race with decals that are totally "illegal" per the rule books. I know it would be pretty shitty to get dq'd b/c of a trivial decal discrepancy but aren't they supposed to be following the "rules"?
I know it is a rediculous question but just trying to see if the topic got brought up.

Looking at all these pics of cars from Nats.... I was actually wondering the same thing.

It seemed that very few had all the required decals.

Adam Ginsberg
09-21-2006, 09:28 AM
Items teched on #5:

1. Airdam ( DQ'd on Friday )
2. Aircleaner
3. Rear camber
4. Engine Vacuum
5. Weight
6. Swaybar diameter
7. Rearend cover
8. Computer/wiring ( DQ'd for computer )
9. Fuel pressure
10. Track width/rims
11. Carb part number
12. Panhard bar mounting
13. Rear upper control arms

BSharp
09-21-2006, 09:36 AM
Items teched on #5:

It sure looked airdams on a couple cars from other regions were pretty low.
Computer? You have no computer.

GlennCMC70
09-21-2006, 09:39 AM
the decals was the first thing i noticed w/ alot of California cars.
i saw many cars (CMC) that didnt have windshield banners, thier names, class, and the list goes on.

as far as tech, they had their hands full due to interpretation. @ one point i was facing a possible DQ over wheel spacers. their was 3 cali cars that got a free pass over modified hoods (yes, from Cali - one on a board of directors car!). numerous cars w/ wheels/tires out of the OEM fenders violation (fox cars and 4th gens alike). i had to redyno along w/ many others due to an incorrectly filled out dyno tech form (almost all Texas cars had this issue).
over all, i feel as though it was a huge success and thier will not be any free passes next year.
some of the tech guys were real goobers though. some were very sharp.

GlennCMC70
09-21-2006, 09:41 AM
who was DQ'ed for a computer issue?

Mike Bell
09-21-2006, 09:44 AM
I read somewhere that one guy left over his Nomex Socks fine rather than pay it. I think it was a Spec Miata driver? Now that's making a stand on principle, haul all the way to Ohio and throw it away over $50.

Adam Ginsberg
09-21-2006, 09:47 AM
Items teched on #5:

It sure looked airdams on a couple cars from other regions were pretty low.
Computer? You have no computer.

Yes, I noticed low airdams on other cars as well - even mentioned it to the tech guys during impound.

The DQ for my computer was tongue-in-cheek. They checked the car, and were looking for the computer when they remembered it was carbed. So we joked about a DQ ( this was on Sat, after my Friday DQ for the airdam ). ;)

GlennCMC70
09-21-2006, 09:48 AM
and their was a few vendors their who sold them along w/ Jegs and Summit retail stores w/in and hours drive.

TEXAST1
09-21-2006, 11:20 AM
They checked over All of the cars safety equipment and socks.

mitchntx
09-21-2006, 12:22 PM
I am the king of standing on principles.

But for the life of me I can't figure out why anyone would balk at wearing a pair of mandated socks.

jeffburch
09-21-2006, 12:32 PM
I had 3 pair prior to Ohio. (Fri/Sat/Sun)
I bought 2 more pair there for Wed/Thur.
I don't like wearing stinky underwear of any kind for a 2nd day.
But, I woulda loaned a stinky pair to someone such as this.
This has to be a rumor/fable.
I can't beleive it either.

jb

Mike Bell
09-21-2006, 12:57 PM
Onr illegal Sock man. He refused to pay the fine of $50 and went home. I wanted to pay his fine, give him a pair of socks and try to convince them to just take his qualifying times away. He just said no. I agree and diagree with the decision, that's a tough call for me, Im such a safety freak I think they were right with the fine, Im not so sure with the DQ.

Taken from here:

http://forum.specmiata.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=000073;p=0

Could be fiction, doesn't make sense to me.

macstang
09-21-2006, 03:32 PM
on the 44, I missed most of the tech since i was either on track or fixing a car. The one time I was there, they claimed that the idle was too high, and they wouldnt release us until we got it to idle at stock specs. I backed out the screw all the way, but it was still at 1300. They allowed us to drag the clutch to slow the idle, then they listened to the exhaust. I asked what they were looking/listening for, and the reply was "lots of things".

One of the inspectors attempted to adjust the idle himself, which is not only against CCR, but it pissed me off too. I never did make friends with that guy.

During the Performance Touring tech, very little was looked at.

TT tech was only street car safety stuff, with nothing after initial tech except the final podium cars getting weighed.