PDA

View Full Version : AI Engine Q

y5e06
09-22-2006, 10:45 AM
so, um, in AI can you run a non oem application engine in a particular car?
Specifically a SBC or LS1 in a G-Body Regal for example?
I skimmed the rules but not familiar how you guys interpret them
That is all, move along....

AI#97
09-22-2006, 11:50 AM
so, um, in AI can you run a non oem application engine in a particular car?
Specifically a SBC or LS1 in a G-Body Regal for example?
I skimmed the rules but not familiar how you guys interpret them
That is all, move along....

My understanding is that you can run same manufacturer engine only. If you start swapping SBC's into a mustang then welcome to AIX.

We can run mod motors in Fox bodies and SBF's in cars like mine so I would say yes. for an official answer, after reading the AI rule set in detail, I would then go to the national site and do searches then post the question to JWL for an official answer.

RichardP
09-22-2006, 12:04 PM
The question has been asked before and been answered by John Lindsey. You can run anything in anything within the other constraints listed (no aftermarket aluminum blocks, for example).

If I was starting on an unlimited budget AI build, my first inclination at the moment would be an LSx in an '05 Mustang. There are a few other ideas that I would also investigate further, mostly to help with aerodynamics...

Richard P.

AI#97
09-22-2006, 12:46 PM
If I was starting on an unlimited budget AI build, my first inclination at the moment would be an LSx in an '05 Mustang. There are a few other ideas that I would also investigate further, mostly to help with aerodynamics...

Richard P.

for the money, you can't beat that LS7 crate motor from the new Z06 but alas no dry sumps in AI!

I have been looking at another combo that would make an awesome AI motor. YOu can get the new 5.4L Aluminum ford GT shortblock for around $4k but you need to re-machine the front of the motor for a wetsump oil setup instead of the drysump....or modify it like JG had. these motors make great torque and the rest of the rotating assembly is relatively cheap. Heads and such can come from a Navigator and all you are left with sourcing is an intake which they now make adapters for to use the old 99/01 cobra intakes and Sullivan is going to make a carbed setup as well.

Money be damned, you can build a 13:1 5.4L 32V monster than can make nearly 700hp NA and stay below 8500 rpm. However, the $25k price tag sort of hurts!!! :shock:

For AI though, you only need to build for a reliable 320/330 at the wheels and keep the car light. It's a great formula!

oz98cobra
09-26-2006, 12:17 AM
For AI though, you only need to build for a reliable 320/330 at the wheels and keep the car light. It's a great formula!

Which is why all you need is the stock 3 valve 4.6 that comes in the 05-07 - it'll make those numbers easy with nothing more than a set of long tubes, pulleys, a WMS intake, and a tune! Helluva lot cheaper - and lighter - than a built 5.4 DOHC!

AI#97
09-26-2006, 07:06 AM

Which is why all you need is the stock 3 valve 4.6 that comes in the 05-07 - it'll make those numbers easy with nothing more than a set of long tubes, pulleys, a WMS intake, and a tune! Helluva lot cheaper - and lighter - than a built 5.4 DOHC!

I know skip's motor has done OK but a stock bottom end on a mod motor is a ticking time bomb.....especially with the heat we generate. That plastic intake is a serious concern with 230 degree water temps in the summer!

marshall_mosty
09-26-2006, 07:27 AM
That plastic intake is a serious concern with 230 degree water temps in the summer!

I'm sure the intake is made from a thermoset plastic... it won't melt. When it gets hot enough to do anything, it burns (really it chars)... and that would have to be tick higher than 230F.

AI#97
09-26-2006, 09:01 AM
That plastic intake is a serious concern with 230 degree water temps in the summer!

I'm sure the intake is made from a thermoset plastic... it won't melt. When it gets hot enough to do anything, it burns (really it chars)... and that would have to be tick higher than 230F.

Actually, there is a MAJOR recall on them where they crack at the water jackets on the 2V cars....hopefully ford figured it out on the newer ones but they are replacing somewhere in the neighborhood of 250k of them!!!

donovan
09-26-2006, 10:34 AM
I heard that was a stress/bolt/torque weak casting issue not heat related.

No tech, just what I heard...

AI#97
09-26-2006, 02:54 PM
I heard that was a stress/bolt/torque weak casting issue not heat related.

No tech, just what I heard...

The solution was to make an intake with an aluminum crossover instead of plastic....bottom line, it failed. Hence the reason I have an all aluminum intake!!! :wink: