PDA

View Full Version : Interstate Commerce, DOT regulations - as it pertains to us

mitchntx
09-22-2006, 11:23 AM
I was a little rattled by the DOT troopers we stopped and chatted with at the Texas weigh station on I30.

So, I've been doing a lot of searching and asking of questions trying to get to the bottom line. Here is about as close as I have found that would directly apply to 99% of us.

http://www.dragracingonline.com/archives.html
Find the September 2005 edition and look for the "Dead On" column.

Cliff notes ...

2 categories:
Hobby = don't worry about it.
Commercial = must comply with DOT regs

26,001 lbs total rig weight max

Rig is titled to an individual - hobby
Rig is titled to a business - commercial

Recieve prize or sponsor money:
Claim it as personal income and take no expense deductions - hobby
Depreciate rig, travel expenses, maintenance - commercial
If you recieve a 1099 from a promoter - potentially commercial

The following is a quote from the article and clears a lot of the air ...

There is an exemption under 49 CFR, Part 390.3(f)(3) Exception: The occasional transportation of personal property by individuals not for compensation nor in the furtherance of a commercial enterprise.

Question 21:
Does the exemption in 390.3(f)(g) for the occasional transportation of personal property by individuals not for compensation nor in the furtherance of a commercial enterprise apply to persons who occasionally use CMV (commercial motor vehicles) to transport cars, boats, horses, etc., to races, tournaments, shows or similar events, even if prize money is offered at these events?

Guidance:
The exemption would apply to this kind of transportation, provided: (1) the underlying activities are not undertaken for profit. i.e. (a) prize money is declared as ordinary income for tax purposes, and ( B) the cost of underlying activities is not deducted as a business for tax purposes; and, where relevant; (2) corporate sponsorship is not involved.

Well, that certainly makes me re-think my plans ....

AI#97
09-22-2006, 11:47 AM
Mitch, thanks for some clarification. Honestly, it should be air or hydraulic brakes, a weight limit which looks like 26k, and whether or not you have insurance. Too many other factors involved that CANNOT be determined on the side of a highway. Burden of proof then gets passed on to the end user and NOT the DPS as it should be.....

Just my $0.02 not that I have anything to worry about anyway! :wink:

David Love AI27
09-22-2006, 08:45 PM

Please explain!!! how does one RECIEVE money....

does $.50 piece of metal one colored ribbon count as a prize???

jeffburch
09-22-2006, 08:59 PM
Mitch, thanks for some clarification. Honestly, it should be air or hydraulic brakes, a weight limit which looks like 26k, and whether or not you have insurance. Too many other factors involved that CANNOT be determined on the side of a highway. Burden of proof then gets passed on to the end user and NOT the DPS as it should be.....

Just my $0.02 not that I have anything to worry about anyway! :wink:

Actually, both of you are a little right, and a little wrong.
Commercial use of any kind=D.O.T. card (i.e. bi-annual + drugs) (regardless of weight or brakes).
Air brakes and/or >26,000#'s= CDL

Oh, and don't forget about your log book (again, commercial, regardless of weight or brakes). 12 hrs. behind the wheel and then it's to the mattress.
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/driver_licensing_control/faq/faq.htm#comm_dl
jb

jeffburch
09-22-2006, 09:07 PM

Please explain!!! how does one RECIEVE money....

does $.50 piece of metal one colored ribbon count as a prize???

I gave my SS# to NASA at M-O.
Does your trailer have some purdy sponsor stickers all down the side?
Potential dings right there.
In state everyone should be ok.
When we cross state lines it's potential Barney Fife/ Buford T. nightmares.

jb

Mike Bell
09-23-2006, 07:18 AM
I'm not sure how it works, but my motorhome is 28,000#'s and has air brakes and does not require a CDL.

AI#97
09-23-2006, 09:02 AM
I'm not sure how it works, but my motorhome is 28,000#'s and has air brakes and does not require a CDL.

I think you exemption is that it is an Recreational Vehicle and not a commercial vehicle. Start conducting business out of it and voila, you need a CDL!

Mike Bell
09-23-2006, 09:10 AM
Ahh, gotcha. Good thing I'm engaged in a cash intensive hobby rather than a red-ink business venture lol. :lol:

AI#97
09-23-2006, 09:40 AM
Ahh, gotcha. Good thing I'm engaged in a cash intensive hobby rather than a red-ink business venture lol. :lol:

Aren't those one in the same?! :shock:

Mike Bell
09-23-2006, 02:53 PM

Aren't those one in the same?! :shock:

Ask the IRS.