PDA

View Full Version : H&R Super Race springs

ShadowBolt
03-18-2015, 04:33 PM
Anyone have a set they want to sell or let me use for a weekend? I was thinking about trying them on the 55. I drove Kevin's car and it feels better with them than mine does. The H&R website says the Race and the Super Race lower the car the same as the Super Sports. I don't see how that is possible. My car is way higher than Kevin's is.

Jerry

mach1
03-18-2015, 04:37 PM
What is the spring rate diff between yours and his? What bars are you guys using?

Suck fumes
03-18-2015, 05:32 PM
I think the super race springs are 900pds? So stiff you might as well not use a shock.

ShadowBolt
03-18-2015, 06:05 PM
What is the spring rate diff between yours and his? What bars are you guys using?

I use the smallest rear bar and I have never changed the front bar. With the set up I have now the car will not push (and I don't want it to) but the rear is very lose. At turn in in Big Bend and on both climbing off-camber lefts (Wagon Wheel and Buzzard Neck) I have to wait later than most to add power. It may be as good as it can be but if I can move some of my front grip to the rear and still not get any push that would be great.

JJ

ShadowBolt
03-18-2015, 06:16 PM
I think the super race springs are 900pds? So stiff you might as well not use a shock.

So many different ways of doing things. Tyler was just a tick slower than you Aaron and his car is super low and 1300lb. Front springs.

I really like my set up but I felt Kevin's set-up was at least as fast as mine but way different.

JJ

Suck fumes
03-18-2015, 07:09 PM
1300!?!? Haha all I'm going to ask is....why? That's overkill for a 3100 car

Sure anyone can be just as fast for a couple laps but your tires will be gone by lap 5 if you run super stiff. That's why he faded away during 2nd half of race. It's not about who can turn a fast lap on whatever setup it's a matter of keeping grip and making your tires last a whole race.

If you had AST's your car would be perfectly setup with the right shock settings based on track.

blk96gt
03-18-2015, 07:18 PM
From what I can find the Super Race are 950-1050 front and 260-300 rear. Running stock rear bar and MM PHB. Stock upper control arms and with stock bushings on both ends.

ShadowBolt
03-18-2015, 07:51 PM
G
1300!?!? Haha all I'm going to ask is....why? That's overkill for a 3100 car

Sure anyone can be just as fast for a couple laps but your tires will be gone by lap 5 if you run super stiff. That's why he faded away during 2nd half of race. It's not about who can turn a fast lap on whatever setup it's a matter of keeping grip and making your tires last a whole race.

If you had AST's your car would be perfectly setup with the right shock settings based on track.

Then be a nice guy and give me your AST's LOL

JJ

Suck fumes
03-18-2015, 07:53 PM
I'm just saying the AST's are the best mustang shock I have EVER driven on period! I don't have one negative thing to say about them.

The suspension needs to roll some to absorb energy, otherwise the tires will take all the abuse and fade away.

mach1
03-18-2015, 08:39 PM
1300lb in a mustang is only ~325lb wheel rate, not that high, I ran my fast lap of the weekend 10 laps in on Friday.

Suck fumes
03-18-2015, 09:00 PM
Friday was just practice. And I bet your tires were new too on Friday? Under race conditions with 2-3 heat cycle tires I can't see a car that stiff being consistent.

Rob Liebbe
03-19-2015, 07:49 AM
Jerry,

I have a set of super race springs you can borrow. However, I predict that your rear looseness and delay to power will get worse with the increased spring rate. Now that you have reinforced your upper control arm mounting, I suggest you try a poor man's 3-link with a panhard bar.

Suck fumes
03-19-2015, 08:17 AM
All you need are good shocks. I've seen the video of what your car is doing. Text book worn shocks. Your car is just like mine so I'm not just pulling suggestions out of my ass.

I genuinely am trying to help not just argue to argue.

Your snap oversteer is from your rear shock bottoming out under full cornering load. It's consistent on almost every turn for you. That's why you have to baby the throttle all the time.

michaelmosty
03-19-2015, 08:50 AM
Jerry,

I have a set of super race springs you can borrow. However, I predict that your rear looseness and delay to power will get worse with the increased spring rate. Now that you have reinforced your upper control arm mounting, I suggest you try a poor man's 3-link with a panhard bar.
Not trying to hijack the thread but I will be switching from the PM3L back to the 4-link for TWS. I just want to try something different b/c I have had the PM3L on my car since 2009.

Crumpacker
03-19-2015, 09:21 AM
Jerry, I also have a set of super race you can borrow if you want them.

I have super race on the car now.

mach1
03-19-2015, 10:17 AM
Spring rate helps with shock bottoming. My rate is where it is because of the ride height and avoiding shock bottoming.

ShadowBolt
03-19-2015, 03:58 PM
Spring rate helps with shock bottoming. My rate is where it is because of the ride height and avoiding shock bottoming.

Thanks Aaron. My shocks are at least six years old. I know I had to replace one of them two years ago but I will try new shocks before I do anything else. Before I started running the set-up that Aaron runs I was running a panhard bar and the car pushed like a dump truck on right turns and was not fun to drive. This is the best it has ever been but it is so damn loose it could be better.

JJ

ShadowBolt
03-19-2015, 04:00 PM
Thanks for the offers on the Super Race springs. This is why CMC is the only place to race.

JJ

mach1
03-19-2015, 04:16 PM
Thanks Aaron. My shocks are at least six years old. I know I had to replace one of them two years ago but I will try new shocks before I do anything else. Before I started running the set-up that Aaron runs I was running a panhard bar and the car pushed like a dump truck on right turns and was not fun to drive. This is the best it has ever been but it is so damn loose it could be better.

JJ

You running AST?

ShadowBolt
03-19-2015, 07:42 PM
You running AST?
Not yet. Koni SA

AI#97
03-19-2015, 08:43 PM
Not yet. Koni SA

Get the AST's or other re-valvable shock and start playing with the valving. My Motons were crap until I had someone work their magic on them. Same with Misty's Penskes. In the rear, you can find 2 way dirt track shocks for CHEAP and then valve them for what you need. I was valving the penskes for a while until I hit a brick wall dealing with high speed vs. Low speed valving.

I have a guy if you need one.