PDA

View Full Version : MSR Cresson Reports

BryanL
03-20-2015, 04:38 PM
Since we don't have any race reports, but someone generally starts a thread with what happened to them I'll start it for Cresson. I know enjoy hearing about everyone's experience especially if I wasn't there. Everyone can look to see the results but that doesn't paint the picture. So for those that were there provide some info. and get them out to TWS.

First off, after I felt I was screwed at the houston dyno I went to verify and pulled 244/282. Went back to the normal plate I have run in both cars and was rewarded with 260/292. I also had the car properly setup which made a huge difference-thanks Texas Track Works.

The weather was just awesome all weekend. So much different than snow/ice the week or so before or solid rain like today. We had a good turnout in Thunder but a great turnout in CMC. Huge thanks to the guys from CO who came down to have fun-though much to Cody's chagrin they didn't take our races or our women. Flying Bryan Curtis was super fast all weekend but not enough for first and Cody just drooled at our women.

Thanks to the McCormicks and Martin's for the firepit/wood and great times around the fires. Those that don't hang around are really missing out. Great time was had both nights and it's also an opportunity to learn about the series, the cars, the history, etc. Fernandez is always a plethora of information about the history as well as fun to base a game off of. Newcomer Matt Edwards get's the dedication award for showing up at 10:00 PM and starting to change an OPTI having never done one before. When I went to bed they were working on it and when I got up they were working on it. Hat's off to you and your crew.

Qual saw Patterson under 1:20, newcomer SI Halderman on the pole, and Aaron McSpadden back in his nat. champ. CMC car with a 1:23.0! For CMC between 2nd and 8 was less than half a second with the slowest being a 1:24.399. Talk about a fast field. Before the event I was just hoping to be in the top 10. But I also spouted off that I would be faster than the 55 and Mosty-which I was!

R1 of course began with drama before the race even started with an elusive green flag. I didn't see a green flag until about Thursday when I saw Crumpackers video I think. I had the best race I have had since R1 of Cresson last year. I was able to channel Mitch Warren for as long as I could looking for the white flag as I had the Yella Terra all over me. Only to spin in Rattlesnake and give away 5th for an 8th place finish. But the icing on the cake was afterwards my daughter said "Yeah Daddy-you beat Jerry". Been a looooooong time since she could say that. So I had a big grin on my face after having so much fun on track. They aren't there often so it was sweet to have my family and Dad there after such a good race.

R2-still don't think I saw the flag but I was in hot pursuit. I actually got to pass someone instead of just staying in the middle the whole weekend. Then I found myself in a familiar situation with a yellow fox all over my rear until coming into wagon wheel I lost my power steering-I'm hoping that was the belt noise my car was making. The pulley broke where the plastic was molded to metal and basically stripped. So, I was done for the weekend-will upgrade to a metal pulley. That allowed me to then relax and really enjoy the evening.

We held our banquet in the parking lot with the debut of Gary and Laura Robertson's award winning 2014 Year End Video-just awesome! We had a great group in the paddock and glad we could enjoy it with our CO racers. Congrats to all the award winners, too. In particular to Jerry Jordan for his Crew Chief award. We are all jealous of Jay's setup but equally as jealous at the time your family get's to spend together at the track. I can only dream that I may get to do something like that in my future-congrats! Also, to our new Golden Helmet Award winner to Corey Reuth for his spectacular 360 at MSR Houston. Now I apologize but what about the Ironman winner?? That is something I wish I could win. Maybe someone should have a thread with all the awards and championship winners recognized. The rest of the evening was a blast. Craig dazzled us with his fire jumping, Al provided clarity to the arguments around the fire, and the women stayed up later than anyone (well that was Friday night)- nice work.

Sunday I woke up at the "if it ain't Scottish it's crap Inn". Laying in bed I get a text from Landrum "need your driveshaft 911" Of course I reply "Take it" I get out of bed and have a smile on my face as I look across 377 to see all my boys coming out of Rattlesnake and around wagon wheel. But it's bittersweet as I wasn't able to be on track.

Hope lot's more of you had half as good of time as I had all weekend. Looking forward to TWS and will be installing my turbo to try and keep up. I'm expecting to see some cars and drivers come out of the woodwork for this one. Certainly some bragging rights to have some wins at the last NASA event there or a track record that will never be broken.

See ya on track!

Suck fumes
03-20-2015, 04:53 PM
What is the track record for CCW anyway??

After cresson I've soon realized I enjoy my CMC car a LOT better than the SI car. No ABS, no electronic crap.....dream to drive! Cresson seems to be a lot more abrasive on tires from what I remember. Still so much more fun than Houston is.

mach1
03-20-2015, 04:55 PM
What is the track record for CCW anyway??

1:56.64 by a camaro???

Suck fumes
03-20-2015, 04:56 PM
I was in the 55's CW so I know I can break that going CCW. pressure is on!

mach1
03-20-2015, 04:57 PM
Sorry, the 56 was in qual, not sure of the race record.

Pranav
03-20-2015, 05:04 PM
about that driveshaft...

My weekend started on Wednesday night when a leaking freeze plug on a brand new motor took all night to replace. Ran on no sleep and got the car together enough for dyno Thursday afternoon. Put down a healthy 255/310. I ended up falling asleep for 12 hours to compensate and start back up at 11am Friday. Finish getting car back togetehr, take it for a spin/wash, and finally get loaded up and rolling out at 9:45pm. Stopped by Dawdy's around midnight in North Austin, finally get to the hotel and in bed by 4am.

Startup at 630am, have a quiet practice and qual, enjoyed a nice long nap through R1 to sit out my contact suspension, have fun in R2 until one of my rear joint caps popped out. Got towed in, tried to replace the u joint but settled on replacing the caps. I did not however, put clips in the caps, because I didn't know better; car survived the test drive around the paddock so I parked it and enjoyed some beer and deep philosophical discussions around the campfire.

Sun morning I made it 50 ft on track before both caps walked out, spent hte rest of practice in the grass until the big contact incident, then got towed backwards in to the pits.

This time the driveshaft walked out and trashed the torque arm, but didn't realize the torque arm was trashed until I was trying to install it about 90 minutes before the race. Ran across to Glenn's house in White Settlement, borrowed his spare torque arm, reinstalled the dinged up driveshaft with two more caps/clips, and new straps and made it to R3, all within 60 minutes. Finished R3 with no problems other than being slow.

Was having fun in R4 until I got black flagged for excessive fuel dumping. I guess the 4th iteration of fuel venting setup didn't work. So I only completed one entire race this weekend :(

On the plus side I made the event and the motor swap itself was a success.

Thanks Wade for the last minute help, and Glenn for loaning me that torque arm so I could make R3 and R4. Thanks BL for offering your dshaft, but didn't want to risk ruining it too...

mach1
03-20-2015, 05:25 PM
I've got a spare torque arm, lmk if you need it.

michaelmosty
03-20-2015, 06:39 PM
Sorry, the 56 was in qual, not sure of the race record.
I have it with a 1:57.191 from last year.

Pranav
03-20-2015, 06:40 PM
Thanks, already got another driveshaft and torque arm off ebay from my usual supplier. Guy out in Alabama (firehawkjeff on eBay, highly recommend) has a 4th gen scrapping/parts operation, total life saver for hard parts.

Still hard to believe I total-lossed the long block on February 13th, and was race ready on March 13th with two weekends out of town for snowboarding and a wedding in between. 26 days of madness...

Forgot to thank Sean for selling me a great motor and Morgan for taking such good care of it! It was nice to finally have a set of heads that could take the full 35 ft-lbs of torque on every single bolt hole without stripping.