PDA

View Full Version : Where do you guys get your fire system bits?

Supercharged111
03-26-2015, 03:31 PM
My car has a system, but only 1 nozzle aimed at me. I need to add one under the hood, but don't know the best place to get the stuff. I found a Safecraft 54-1416 3 way nozzle and a 10 foot coil of line on Summit, but I'm thinking generic line and hardware is probably a smarter way to do it. That Safecraft nozzle looks the same as the one that points at me. Should I maybe have a 2 way pointed at me so it takes longer to suffocate as I attempt to egress an engulfed car? Change over and do 2 nozzles under the hood, one aimed at each manifold? I'm also unsure of the threads on that Safecraft nozzle, if they're AN or what. Install should be quick and easy, it's just a matter of deciding what to do and what parts to do it.

Fbody383
03-27-2015, 08:04 AM
I have the small Firecharger AFFF system, two nozzles in the engine bay and one at my right knee: https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/2015/030.pdf

I carry a spare CO2 and refill with me.

Supercharged111
03-27-2015, 08:37 AM
The AFFF stuff looks really tempting, but I just need to replumb what I currently have. I like the fact that it doesn't steal your oxygen and is track-refillable though. How many holes do your discharge nozzles have?

dtanker65
03-27-2015, 10:39 AM
Smileys stocks the Firecharger bits and sells the system. I installed the two nozzle system, one in front of the shifter spraying on me and one on the motor. I gathered research from racers and firefighters before I installed it, the consensus was that engine compartment fires are most common and there is not enough suppressant in any of the systems to deal with a ruptured fuel cell burning. The firefighters said covering the driver without blinding him is the most important design element. The only downside of the Firecharger is that it freezes easily and ruptures the blowout disc causing the nozzle to dribble. The manufacturer has been tip top providing replacement discs at no charge. I carry a hand held extinguisher as well since grass fires are a consideration here and I want to be able to help another driver just in case.

Pranav
03-27-2015, 11:07 AM
I have a full OMP system that's been sitting in the garage since 2012; I'm hoping I FINALLY get to install it prior to TWS.

It comes with many nozzles, but the more nozzles I install, the more diluted the spray will be.

I was thinking one facing back towards me (like Francis' knee setup), one up high pointing down from from behind left of my helmet, and one for each side of the fuel rail..

Supercharged111
03-27-2015, 11:44 AM
I'll post a pic of how it is now when I get home, what's the ideal trajectory for the driver? Pointed at the nutsack? I've heard at the face is a bad idea as it's not only blinding, but suffocates you that much worse.

Suck fumes
03-27-2015, 12:50 PM
I have an ESS system with two nozzles under hood pointing at each side on the motor, one pointing behind the seat at the fuel tank and one at my knee area under dash.

Supercharged111
03-27-2015, 02:51 PM
So kind of pointing downhill at you? Or straight shot at your belt line? Mine is on the trans tunnel now spraying me from the side. How many holes are your nozzles? I see the FC-106 on Smiley's site and I'm wondering what its pattern is and if it'll spray slower than the 3 way in my car. I think I'll give 'em a call.

BlueFirePony
03-27-2015, 08:46 PM
I'll post a pic of how it is now when I get home, what's the ideal trajectory for the driver? Pointed at the nutsack? I've heard at the face is a bad idea as it's not only blinding, but suffocates you that much worse. Smileys should have what you need. Or maybe Pegasus.
We have one nozzle center dash low pointing across the waist area and another mounted to the roll cage high on the passenger side that points down across the passenger area towards the right side of the driver. We also have one mid-roll cage pointing back towards the tank and we have three in the engine bay (one on each side of the engine and one mid-firewall pointing across the engine. The idea being to create blankets of AFFF on the driver and btw the driver and sources of fire front and back.

marshall_mosty
03-28-2015, 11:38 AM
I have an ESS system with two nozzles under hood pointing at each side on the motor, one pointing behind the seat at the fuel tank and one at my knee area under dash.

It appears that I have an identical system 5L AES AFFF. Four nozzles. The only difference is my fuel tank nozzle is under the car, in front of the tank, facing the tank.

Suck fumes
03-28-2015, 11:52 AM
Yah and they make a HUGE mess when then go off haha. Takes foreveeeeer to clean up.

marshall_mosty
03-28-2015, 12:03 PM
Yah and they make a HUGE mess when then go off haha. Takes foreveeeeer to clean up.

Been there, done that. Smells like a swimming pool. Forgot unscrew the CO2 canister before trying to hookup a new pull cable. Once you hear the gurgle/spewing noises, it's 2 seconds to foamy mess.

Alien
03-29-2015, 12:10 AM
I carry a hand held extinguisher as well since grass fires are a consideration here and I want to be able to help another driver just in case.

^^^^ This.
I think a grass fire has more probability of happening to any of us. Would be a shame for a car to go up in flames due to a small grass fire from hot exhaust.

When I was codriving the rally car with Costas, we went off at an T intersection and got stuck in the grass/mud. As we were sitting there, another car that went off quite a bit off deeper than us called over very calmly, "Your car's on fire." I hopped out, a quick squirt under the car, no more flames. We were required to carry two extinguishers, one had to be handheld, glad we did.

Supercharged111
03-29-2015, 01:49 AM
I consider it, because not only is a fire extinguisher in a decent spot for ballast, it can also keep a car alive while waiting for the safety truck to arrive. Priority #1 is keeping me alive, priority #2 is keeping the car alive to see another race. I'm slow to move, been worrying more about chassis setup and dyno #'s at this point. Between that and the coolsuit cooler, I think I'd make 3250# with no ballast.

Pranav
03-29-2015, 12:50 PM
How much do you weigh? I'm just at 3265ish post race with 25lbs ballast with no fire system and cool suit yet, I weight about 178-182, currently on a 3250 dyno sticker

Supercharged111
03-30-2015, 12:31 AM
How much do you weigh? I'm just at 3265ish post race with 25lbs ballast with no fire system and cool suit yet, I weight about 178-182, currently on a 3250 dyno sticker

I always go for the 3250 sticker, though close to the end of last year I was getting a bit porky, I weighed in at 3290# post race however I've been running a 45# plate. Last year I added a glove box door and changed over to stock style rear springs which added a noticeable amount of weight. Though some of it is reciprocating, it is still in a good place. If I ever get off my ass to build the cool suit cooler that I posess ( WILL happen before Hallett), I can likely run entirely without ballast and make my 3250#. The driver is also not as light as he used to be, currently 195# of pure American beef. :shock:

Pranav
03-30-2015, 09:24 AM
Yeah when I started my CMC build I was just over 190 and min weight was 3200; now I'm dropping below 180 and min weight is 3250. Gotta love progress...