PDA

View Full Version : Need welding help in Spring

Pranav
05-04-2015, 04:27 PM
Tried of paying to have basic welding work, and having to trailer the car to get help eitherway adds to the frustration.

Pulling my trans this weekend, want to weld up cracks in the floorpan and reinforce the trans mount per the rules allowance while it is out.

I've been looking long and hard at this welder:
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200632004_200632004

Anyone want to come by and help me get it started Fri night or Saturday? First time trying to weld by myself. With thin sheetmetal I'm a little ansy doing it myself...

mach1
05-04-2015, 04:34 PM
If you were local I'd tell you to come by my shop and I can show you the ropes, I've found you generally get what you pay for with welding machines. What process are you looking at?
I have a Miller 180 mig but I like the Lincoln arc so I would go Lincoln if I had to buy again.
My Tig/Stick is a Japanese made thermal arc (TA185) that I am very happy with.
In your situation, I'd get a Lincoln 140amp mig and get some 75/25 gas to go with it and .023 wire.

dtanker65
05-04-2015, 06:34 PM
If you were local I'd tell you to come by my shop and I can show you the ropes, I've found you generally get what you pay for with welding machines. What process are you looking at?
I have a Miller 180 mig but I like the Lincoln arc so I would go Lincoln if I had to buy again.
My Tig/Stick is a Japanese made thermal arc (TA185) that I am very happy with.
In your situation, I'd get a Lincoln 140amp mig and get some 75/25 gas to go with it and .023 wire.

Ditto. I have had a 200 amp mig for many years. If you can run a 220/240 plug in your shop that would be better. The 115 vac units are great portables but the 220 machines are more versatile, they will weld 1/4" steel and sheet metal. If you don't run the machines at max output they last. You cannot go wrong with Miller or Lincoln. I have Mig, Tig and Ox Acetelyne welders and they all have their specific uses, but if I had to choose one it would be Mig for automotive and general purpose. Definitely get a 75/25 gas setup with a big bottle. I have some pretty good Welding books I will look for them for you. You just have to practice on scrap. I always spend some time getting the heat range and wire speed just right on a piece of scrap of the same thickness as what I am building before I weld the actual part (grinding sucks). Weld some of your junk together then break it apart until it won't break. You need to have confidence in your welds BEFORE YOU WELD ANYTHING ON THE RACE CAR. A correctly set mig welder makes a specific sound, you will know it when you hear it with practice. The thin stuff takes some finesse and patience, but it is fun and it's not rocket surgery
:-)

blk96gt
05-04-2015, 07:37 PM
If you want something you can run off a 115 plug and has a reasonable price I'm not sure if there is a better deal than the Hobart Handler 140:
http://www.amazon.com/Hobart-500559-Handler-Wire-Welder/dp/B009X43F38/
Can do flux-cored or gas, and it comes with the regulator.

dtanker65
05-04-2015, 07:57 PM
If you want something you can run off a 115 plug and has a reasonable price I'm not sure if there is a better deal than the Hobart Handler 140:
http://www.amazon.com/Hobart-500559-Handler-Wire-Welder/dp/B009X43F38/
Can do flux-cored or gas, and it comes with the regulator.

Concur on Hobart machines, top quality. I have not run much flux core wire. I understand it is for outdoor welding when the wind would blow the 75/25 gas away. Flux core spatters like a stick welder, collateral damage to the work area and burns (yuk). I like Tig if it is the right tool for the job, especially in the summer, then I can weld in shorts and sandals. It's great except for the UV sunburn on my thighs.

AI#97
05-04-2015, 09:20 PM
Pranav, I have one of the lincoln Weldpak HD200's that I have had since I built my car back in 2005. I have built some cages with it and it's been rock solid for years. For anything over .095" you just need to build a lot of heat in the part and turn the wire speed up.

I think they are usually $450 at Home Depot and come with the gas regulator and a couple spools of mig wire. It is now my spare unit as I bought a 220v unit.

you can also search craigslist for lightly used units. that is how I got my 220v lincoln. A guy's wife bought it for his b-day and he never opened the box. $500 and a short drive up I-45 scored a great unit.

Also, I HIGHLY suggest finding a dual voltage unit. Buy once and never look back.

Rob Liebbe
05-05-2015, 07:48 AM
Ditto on practicing on scrap.

Pranav
05-05-2015, 09:52 AM
Thanks for the tips guys. I guess the $200 stick welder is out.

Unfortunately it will be difficult for me to have 220v for quite some time, current house doesn't have a connection in the garage and my next shop will likely be a rental.

I may put the buying a welder thing on hold for one more job and have some friends in Tomball help me while I learn/play on their MIG; get a better idea of what I need.

Definitely digging the idea of spending a little more on a higher amp MIG; perhaps I should start keeping an eye out on used deals to save a ton of $.

Rsmith350
05-05-2015, 02:14 PM
When you get a welder figured out, I'll come show you the wrong way to do it. I'm up in Kingwood now.

GlennCMC70
05-05-2015, 03:55 PM
Just get the 110 unit. It will take many years of welding to outgrow it. I still use my 110 for thin wall cage tube.
Don't bother with a stick unless you own a farm. Not good for sheetmetal either.
Hobarts are made by Miller. Nice welders. My Lincolns have served me well. Cost vs return on investment is a no brainer.

Supercharged111
05-05-2015, 03:57 PM
I bought 30 feet of cord from an industrial electrical place and some plugs to make an extension cord initially. I just unplugged the dryer and used its outlet. Later on, I got some help installing a 220V outlet below my breaker box in the garage, too easy.