PDA

View Full Version : Astro A5 took a dump

ShadowBolt
05-13-2015, 02:15 PM
At TWS we (Jay, Michael, and myself) noticed a third gear noise. I pulled the transmission and I sent it to Mike at Texas Motorsports as per Tony's request. Third gear is toast and four teeth are gone from the input shaft. I searched the web and can't find a single person that has torn up an A5 but the 259/299 power of a CMC car......
Then he tells me he may not be able to get it fixed by the first of June! I may have to buy a complete A5 gear set because the shop that makes the gears now is not the same as when I got mine and they are not compatible. Oh joy!

He did ask and I told the truth that I did not check the alignment of the Quicktime bellhousing. I remember reading about it but never considered messing with it. I don't even know how to check it. Mike said he thinks that or the pinion angle from being lowered too much. I don't think the H&R Super Sport springs are low enough to cause this issue.

JJ

mach1
05-13-2015, 03:53 PM
Tell me about it, I have pulled my trans several times this year, just pulled it again a few days ago, having issues going into 4th. I am going to put new blocker rings in it and "lap" the gear cone to the blocker.
Do you have any pics of your damaged trans internals?

ShadowBolt
05-13-2015, 04:13 PM
Tell me about it, I have pulled my trans several times this year, just pulled it again a few days ago, having issues going into 4th. I am going to put new blocker rings in it and "lap" the gear cone to the blocker.
Do you have any pics of your damaged trans internals?
No pics yet. Is yours an A5 or T5? The A5 is supposed to be bulletproof.

JJ

Suck fumes
05-13-2015, 04:54 PM
Go with a tremec 3650. Mine has been bulletproof for 3 yrs.

mach1
05-13-2015, 04:57 PM
No pics yet. Is yours an A5 or T5? The A5 is supposed to be bulletproof.

JJ

3550/TKO, I don't think Mosty has had any issues with his, mine is fine as long as I granny shift the hell out of it. I didn't think the A5's were CMC legal.

ShadowBolt
05-13-2015, 05:33 PM
3550/TKO, I don't think Mosty has had any issues with his, mine is fine as long as I granny shift the hell out of it. I didn't think the A5's were CMC legal.

Yes they are legal. It's a T5.

ShadowBolt
05-13-2015, 07:49 PM
Go with a tremec 3650. Mine has been bulletproof for 3 yrs.

When I had my 3650 there was no road race fifth gears available.

Also with long tubes and a 3650 you have to pull the engine (or at least take one of the long tubes off to be able to change a clutch). So you drive all the way to Hallett and lose a clutch in practice on Friday. With the 3650 you are going home. With the A5 you can drop in a new clutch and race the weekend. This was my reasons for going to the A5.

JJ

Suck fumes
05-14-2015, 12:09 AM
There are road race 5th gears for it now even though you'll never shift into 5th with stock rear gear ratio. But yes you do have to pull one header loose but the things are so reliable that if you buy a good clutch you never have to worry about it.

RichardP
05-14-2015, 07:58 AM
but the things are so reliable that if you buy a good clutch you never have to worry about it.

Says the guy who only does two races in a weekend...

Richard P.

mach1
05-14-2015, 08:46 AM
Yes they are legal. It's a T5.

I didn't see the A5 gear ratios on the approved list, if they are legal I may go that route soon.

Suck fumes
05-14-2015, 10:00 AM
Says the guy who only does two races in a weekend...

Richard P.

I run the car in other events too not just nasa.