PDA

View Full Version : T5 help

ShadowBolt
06-04-2015, 08:24 PM
Well I installed the rebuilt A5 (T5) (that Mike dumbass from Texas Motorsports Transmission rebuilt) last night and the driveshaft would not go in. When I called Mike he said you may have to beat it in with a hammer. Really the stupid guy said beat it in! I knew it was not going to go and sure enough I'm in a mess now. I beat the shit out of it with a three lb. sledge. I really don't want to have to drop the box again so I need a puller. The shops I used to work in had them as shop tools. I don't have time to order one off the web as I want to load on Sat. Or Sun. I looked on Oreilly and I don't see the bushing. Looking for a source for a bushing and the removal/install tool if anyone in the Austin area had one. And please do not ever use this Mike character to repair a lawn mower transmission. "Just beat it in with a hammer".

Jerry

ShadowBolt
06-04-2015, 08:31 PM
Looks like the T5 is the same as the Auto as far as rear bushing is concerned.
I see those at Oreilly
JJ

Supercharged111
06-05-2015, 12:05 AM
So tell me again how he managed to fuck up your previously not fucked up tailshaft bushing?

ShadowBolt
06-05-2015, 07:03 AM
So tell me again how he managed to fuck up your previously not fucked up tailshaft bushing?

He installed a "new" one.

Jerry

Pranav
06-05-2015, 08:59 AM
If it's anything like the GM t56 (and probably t5), you press it in then machine it back out to the right clearance so your driveshaft yoke can freely go in/out without binding (but not too loose).

I did this with the tailshaft housing off of the transmission. Pressed in the new bushing then opened it up with a 3-stone brake caliper honing tool you can get at oreillys.

Not sure if you're going to run into the same thing...

marshall_mosty
06-05-2015, 10:05 AM
I'd suggest you never replace the tailshaft bushing unless you really know they are bad. I've NEVER replaced mine and the same tailshaft housing has been in the car for 10 seasons...
Sucks when someone other than yourself screws up your $hit...

Fbody383
06-05-2015, 10:57 AM
Sucks when you pay someone who says they know what they're doing to screw up your $hit...Fixed.

ShadowBolt
06-05-2015, 01:48 PM
Fixed.
Yep. I went to a shop in town and found the tool in the owners personal toolbox. He said he did not even remember having it. Said he has not used it in twenty years if not thirty. All rusted but I cleaned it up and it is going to save me at least two hours.

Jerry

Pranav
06-05-2015, 07:53 PM
Is this the bushing remover/installer tool that lets you service it with the tailshaft still on the trans and the output shaft still in the way?

Thought about finding one myself but opted to pull the tailshaft housing off.

What I'm curious about is when you put the new bushing in, is if it will still be tight against the yoke like the current one. This is the issue on the t56, the bushing deforms just slightly when pressing in causing it to be insanely tight; have to open it up with the caliper bore honing tool to get the right "fit"

I'd try pick up 2-3 bushings just in case.

ShadowBolt
06-05-2015, 09:20 PM
Job is done. The puller worked great. I did not have the correct tool to press the new one in so I took the yoke off the driveshaft. Installed the bad bushing (had to open it up about .020") on the yoke with hose clamps on each end to keep the old bushing from opening up then drove it in. I was amazed how hard I had to hit the yoke to get it in but it worked. Driveshaft goes in like it should now. The bushing Mike installed was egg shaped and a little small. It would not go on the yoke without opening it up some.

JJ

Supercharged111
06-06-2015, 12:13 AM
Good, I'm hoping to face off with you this year unlike last year where we seemed to be separated by traffic. Also hoping you blow the start again on the final. :)

ShadowBolt
06-06-2015, 08:27 AM
Jay drove the final.

Supercharged111
06-06-2015, 10:16 AM
You're both pretty quick.