PDA

View Full Version : Nomination for the empty directors spot.

GlennCMC70
09-28-2006, 05:53 PM
Daron Cook
David Donovan
anyone else?

marshall_mosty
09-28-2006, 06:35 PM
Richard Pedersen
Chris Marvel
Chris Lyons

unless they don't want to... 8)

mitchntx
09-28-2006, 06:38 PM
This "nomination" stuff won't work.

The job should go to a volunteer, not an appointee.

And the way these guys get trashed, why would anyone volunteer?

GlennCMC70
09-28-2006, 06:46 PM
by us showing our support for who we think would do a good job, that may be enough to boost the confidence of that person to step up and volunteer.

but keep it up, and i'll nominate you. :wink:

CMC17
09-28-2006, 07:48 PM

Very profound and that it's the racers doing the trashing

mitchntx
09-28-2006, 08:19 PM
INstead of trying to guilt someone into taking a position they really don't want ...

Why not list what everyone expects from a series director.

Then, if someone feels they have the time, effort, energy and inclination, volunteer.

The list of nominees appears to be about half the field at Hallett. So, what is that accomplishing exactly?

GlennCMC70
09-28-2006, 08:45 PM
is the sky falling in Gandbury Texas? :evil:

mitchntx
09-28-2006, 08:50 PM
You seem to have all the answers there, Mr. Wonderful.

Why don't you volunteer for it?

GlennCMC70
09-28-2006, 09:00 PM
i would if i thought for a second i had the backing of the group.
1/2 the group would try and use me for their adjenda and the other half would do anything to be dificult just because it was me.

there are guys in our group that EVEYONE would back. there are guys here that have the trust of the group. that guy is not me.
plus, i've been known to speak my mind and it either hurts feelings or is interpreted as whining.

i'll do it - but you guys aint gonna like how it gets done. think of it as tough love.

Waco Racer
09-28-2006, 11:17 PM

I agree. I also believe that if a driector is named in replacement of Adam, a person from outside the group might be best. So that there are no pre-concieved notions from any "side".

micah
09-29-2006, 02:56 AM
I heard speak of an AI racer being director over CMC,and a CMC racer being over AI. I for one like the idea because there is no conflict of interest. I agree with Mitch that we should have a tread on what racers expect out of a director then let someone volunteer, then lay out a chain of command for racers to follow. But I am still hoping Todd stays on I think he does a good job,even if it is as a assistant to sort of pass the torch. P.S. Thanks to Clifton for watching the board and showing interest in the group.

AI#97
09-29-2006, 09:32 AM
lamb --------> slaughter?

We only need Todd, he seems to do well with the ribbing, pot shots and general BS. The question we need to ask HIM is if he has the time or will to continue alone. Given his experience in the position, it might best for HIM to ask who he thinks would be a good fit if they would like to volunteer for the job.....

Just a thought..... :lol:

David Love AI27
09-29-2006, 11:09 AM
I heard speak of an AI racer being director over CMC,and a CMC racer being over AI. I for one like the idea because there is no conflict of interest. I agree with Mitch that we should have a tread on what racers expect out of a director then let someone volunteer, then lay out a chain of command for racers to follow. But I am still hoping Todd stays on I think he does a good job,even if it is as a assistant to sort of pass the torch. P.S. Thanks to Clifton for watching the board and showing interest in the group.

I suggested this a couple of months ago and offered my neck as the CMC rep. I know I don't have much NASA experience but I have been president of two different Lions Clubs and was president of girls softball association for two years in addition to holding many other positions in both organizations. After dealing with the parents of 6-18yo sotball players, CMC rep would be a piece of cake.....

Mike Bell
09-29-2006, 11:09 AM
You don't nominate or vote for Director to my knowledge. How did Adam get to be director? How did Todd get to be director? They were appointed.

You want to be Director? Call Matus, Inc.

gt40
09-29-2006, 01:29 PM
How did Adam get to be director? How did Todd get to be director?

The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite held aloft director's badges from the bosom of the water, signifying by divine providence that they, Todd and Adam, were to carry those badges. THAT is why they are directors.

(Sorry, I couldn't resist. :D)

jeffburch
09-29-2006, 01:34 PM
You want to be Director? Call Matus, Inc.

.....and Tony G. and JWL and.......?

jb

Mike Bell
09-29-2006, 01:35 PM
Point taken JB, I'm not sure how they play into the mix.

dirwin
09-29-2006, 03:23 PM
The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite held aloft director's badges from the bosom of the water, signifying by divine providence that they, Todd and Adam, were to carry those badges. THAT is why they are directors.

(Sorry, I couldn't resist. )

THAT was funny!

oz98cobra
10-02-2006, 05:27 PM
This thread is evidence that there is little leadership around here right now, and obviously a lack of understanding amongst the group about what the "series directors" actually do and how they get the job? There's a whole bunch of opinions being blurted out, but it seems to me that we all need to get a reality check, then maybe we can cut out all the BS and get on with it!

First of all, what are these "directors" positions? As far as I understand it, Todd and Adam's roles were actually two roles combined into one, and they shared the responsibilites of both? Those roles are the "CMC Regional Coordinator" and "AI Regional Director". The CMC rules clearly spell out these roles, while the AI rules are less defined and you have to read the whole document to get a handle on the fact that there are regional directors, as well as National directors, and what their respective roles are?

Seeing as how the roles for both series are clearly very similar, but the AI rules have little info in one place whereas the CMC rules have a bunch, lets take a look at exactly what the the CMC rules say:

3, GOVERNANCE
3.1. Selection
To support and promote the intent of CMC a formal five member CMC Board of Directors will be selected. The board shall consist of a Chief Director and four other directors. If for any reason a director resigns their position, the Chief Director shall appoint a replacement director. If for any reason the Chief Director resigns the full board shall select a replacement Chief Director. The CMC Board of Directors will appoint Regional Coordinators as necessary to manage CMC activities outside of NASA’s West Coast Regions.
3.2. Procedures/Goals
The CMC Directors have nationwide authority, over all regions, and all matters pertaining to CMC. The Chief Director is given the main guiding control and final decision making power for CMC. The CMC Directors will manage day to day CMC activities in the Northern and Southern California Regions. All other regions will have one or more Regional Coordinators who will manage CMC activities in their region. Day to day CMC activities include determining event procedures as necessary, enforcing CMC rules, forming Incident Review Boards, and determining infractions and driver penalties following the procedures in section 3.3 below.

All requests for clarifications or interpretations of rules shall be made via email to a Director. The Directors will return official clarifications to the competitor via email. Rules clarifications will be used as the basis for re-writing rules at the end of the year, as necessary.

The Directors and Coordinators, collectively called CMC Officials, shall make all efforts to be available to help answer questions and make new CMC competitors feel welcome to the series. The CMC Official’s goals are to keep CMC weekends and the series as a whole running smoothly, fulfilling the intent of the series.

Note that there is NOTHING - nada - zip - about regional series directors or coordinators in the CCRs at all, so they are neither "required" officials to run an event, or NASA TX appointed posiitions (although obviously NASA TX should be comfortable with who holds those positions).

These regional positions are "appointed" by the National Directors for both AI and CMC. How did Adam and Todd get the job? Way back when AI/CMC in this region was is in it's infancy, they were the only guys known to the directors on the west coast.

Now just because these positions are appointed by the guys on the west coast, this doesn't mean that we as a group cannot put forward some candidates to the national directors to choose from - after all, they will be OUR representatives, and how are the national guys going to know who is who anyway? (and as far as I'm concerned, having them choose one of the few who were fortunate enough to make it to the nationals and buddy up to them is NOT valid criteria for the job! ).

So I propose that we CAN elect one or more potential candidates, and the usual way that a "club" would do such a thing is to have nominations - which of course must be accepted by the person being nominated, self nominations should be permitted, and then we vote on those nominations. It is then up to the national directors to choose, or to accept or reject those who we propose. I imagine that the national directors will want to see some info on the candidate/s, and perhaps hold a phone interview?

I think we should go through this process each year - this will let those who do not want to continue with it step aside between seasons, and allow someone else to have a crack at it. We can gather nominations, and hold a ballot at our annual end of year gathering. The only positions we should be electing right now are a couple of us to act as the "nominations committee" who would coordinate nominations, and handle the ballot when we vote.

I do not think it is in anyones interest to have these regional director roles being filled by someone outside the group - that doesn't make any sense at all to me, and I'm sure that the National Directors are not going to be comfortable with it? I do think we should have 2 directors for our region as both AI and CMC are continuing to grow here. I have no preference over whether these roles are combined, or separated into AI and CMC. Regardless, they should always work closely together and one should always be prepared to back up the other.

Finally, I do not see why these positions have to be despised, feared or otherwise. I fail to see where this "conflict of interest" talk comes from? They are a liason between our group, the series regional directors, and the local NASA division - that ain't rocket science or secret spy material folks! They neither make the rules nor decisions - they merely ensure that rules are being followed. We all need to go back and read the above paragraph from the CMC rules again - see, not so scary after all right :roll: