PDA

View Full Version : My bad luck with daily drivers

michaelmosty
10-07-2015, 09:14 AM
I just need to vent a little:

Previous car was an 09 Mustang that I had for almost 5-years. Throughout almost the entire time I owned it I was bothered by a front suspension thud the happened going over speed bumps / bumps in the road. I did the normal suggestions of changing the upper strut mounts, sway bar end links, and checked all bushings. Nothing ever fixed it and I just lived with the noise. I also had the great Ford steering wheel that had the rubber start to wear away, door panels that always came unglued, rear brakes that made bad noises, and numerous other squeaks and creaks that drove me crazy.
I eventually made the decision to trade her in for a 2015 GT with much more power!!!

I've had the 2015 for about 2-months now and love the car....except for a thud in the transmission between shifts. After weeks of internet researching, most of which had people saying the "thud" was normal, I took the car back to the dealer yesterday to get my 745 mile ride checked out.
I get a call this morning saying they pulled the transmission and everything with it looked fine. They do however suspect the thud to be coming from the crank that is moving during shifts. (Not sure how that can happen but hey, I'm not the expert) They also pulled my oil filter and found metal in it so they are going to be pulling the motor today for further investigation.

Who knows.....
I'll just wait and see what they come back with.

Fbody383
10-07-2015, 11:21 AM
1998 BMW M3... bought in June 2000 with 36k

Next oil change in a month or so at 298k.

I think I have a front hub out and one or both of the rear half shafts may (finally) be bad.

I have no idea on what else I would drive. I've thought about picking up an E36 convertible with 120k or so on it for the next one.

Or maybe a fuel injected 509 c.i., T56 1970 El Camino.

Pranav
10-07-2015, 11:42 AM
They better get you a new crate motor. Car is too new for reman/rebuild.

Storm Trooper
10-07-2015, 12:03 PM
Sorry Michael! It sounds like you ended up with a lemon.

Or maybe a fuel injected 509 c.i., T56 1970 El Camino.

I have a 1969 El Camino just waiting for a drivetrain. Just saying ;)

AllZWay
10-07-2015, 02:07 PM
The absolute worst car we ever had was an Acura Legend.. I think it was 94 model.

Under 30 miles, transimission replace, motor mounts replace, computer replace, stereo replace, power antenna replace.. front plastic front bumper fell off after Kendra bumped a curb. A giant POS we got rid of by 50k.

Second pile of trash was a Honda Passport. It had tons of computer, and egr exhaust issues. It was on the shop so many times we had the same courtesy vehicle and put about 25k miles on it. Once they had it for 3 months.

Kendra also had a Honda Accord that the engine block cracked at 20k, but it was replace and then was another non eventful car.

Suck fumes
10-07-2015, 02:32 PM
If they said the crank was moving around then you better make sure they give you a new engine (if that really happened then it's trashed) and when they do, make sure you hook an SCT to it to richen it up. They run really crispy stock.

michaelmosty
10-07-2015, 03:21 PM
Just heard from the service department. Definitely a crank issue, they have the approval from Ford, and new engine is on its way. They should have it Friday and assuming everything goes well, get the car back the first of next week.

I should have waited a week so Marshall could have driven my Focus loaner car at TWS, haha.

Fbody383
10-07-2015, 03:25 PM
Race car - crank issues
Street car - crank issues

Me thinks you are the common denominator.

Supercharged111
10-07-2015, 10:54 PM
Race car - crank issues
Street car - crank issues

Me thinks you are the common denominator.

Almost, the correct answer is Ford.

BryanL
10-08-2015, 08:36 AM
Almost, the correct answer is Ford.

You are correct sir. Next thing Mosty will form a petition and a class action lawsuit to make them allow/put in a forged crank and reduce the weight by 100 pounds.

mach1
10-08-2015, 09:36 AM
You are correct sir. Next thing Mosty will form a petition and a class action lawsuit to make them allow/put in a forged crank and reduce the weight by 100 pounds.

Sounds fair! My 2015 has some pretty good slop in the drivetrain, not sure wtf.

Supercharged111
10-08-2015, 11:34 AM
Isn't Ford using Chinese built transmissions now?

michaelmosty
10-08-2015, 01:56 PM

I tried but could only get a 50 lb reduction. ;^)

Suck fumes
10-09-2015, 12:42 AM
Isn't Ford using Chinese built transmissions now?

Yep

Al Fernandez
10-12-2015, 04:33 PM
Tyler you have a 2015? I think that makes four cmc drivers that own one here in Tx. One more and we can get Toyo bucks!! Come on who'se next?
Of course now we all need you to drive them Mike, so you can diagnose if our shifting thud is the same as yours had and we all need new engines...

mach1
10-12-2015, 05:32 PM
Tyler you have a 2015? I think that makes four cmc drivers that own one here in Tx. One more and we can get Toyo bucks!! Come on who'se next?
Of course now we all need you to drive them Mike, so you can diagnose if our shifting thud is the same as yours had and we all need new engines...

Yeah but I think I can only run in CMC since it's a 4 banger :)

j3ffbrooks
10-30-2015, 04:58 PM
Just heard from the service department. Definitely a crank issue, they have the approval from Ford, and new engine is on its way. They should have it Friday and assuming everything goes well, get the car back the first of next week.

I should have waited a week so Marshall could have driven my Focus loaner car at TWS, haha.

This is not good. My 2015 GT does the same thing. Moreso on 2nd-3rd gear shifts.

michaelmosty
10-31-2015, 08:23 AM
New engine has been in for a few weeks now and the noise is definitely less but still there.
I agree w/ Jeff, it is the loudest going from 2-3, also going from N-1.
I took it to a different dealership to get checked out and the service guy also had a 15 with the same noise. He asked me to ride in his car to hear it and his was worse than mine ever was. I guess it is just a flaw with the design on it as I don't really have a hope of them finding a fix.

I have opened a case # with Ford and am taking it to yet again a different dealership on Monday for another opinion. If they can't fix it I am going to push for them to buy the car back.

Suck fumes
10-31-2015, 09:34 PM
Are you sure its not something to do with the clutch not fully disengaging when putting into gear causing a thud or clunk?

j3ffbrooks
11-01-2015, 11:58 AM
Are you sure its not something to do with the clutch not fully disengaging when putting into gear causing a thud or clunk?

Probably that and a cheap transmission are the culprits.

michaelmosty
11-23-2015, 09:57 AM
Car update:
I have been talking back and forth with Ford and have taken the car to two different dealers to check it out.
The original dealer had me come back in for a 3rd time so the service director could ride in my car to listen. He heard to noise and said he had driven three other New cars that morning and they all had the same thud but that the noise in mine was louder than the other ones. He said he was scheduling to have a Field Service Engineer come out to drive the car. Fast forward to today when I dropped the car off again this morning and the FSE is supposed to be in to drive the car later today.
He is apparently the person that will determine if the thud is normal or excessive. I'm not holding my breath...

Fbody383
11-23-2015, 10:06 AM
He is apparently the person that will determine if the thud is normal or excessive. I'm not holding my breath... "Mr. Mosty obviously you're just not mechanically inclined, as all informed car 'people' KNOW that deadened-purcussive emination is an egineering marvel you should be proud to be experiencing."

Suck fumes
11-23-2015, 11:26 AM
I think you have officially turned me toward the focus RS and stay away from new mustangs even though they handle awesome haha

Supercharged111
11-23-2015, 11:28 AM
Just put some bullets on the thing so all you hear is exhaust.

Pranav
11-23-2015, 11:38 AM
You know the new 2016 Camaro is going to be lighter than the new Mustang, and they come with American made transmissions. Good fix for the that noisy transmission.

Pranav
11-23-2015, 11:39 AM
Those MT-82s coming out of China, exactly what happens when you have a bunch of MBA-types running car companies nowadays.

Supercharged111
11-23-2015, 05:37 PM
You know the new 2016 Camaro is going to be lighter than the new Mustang, and they come with American made transmissions. Good fix for the that noisy transmission.

I wonder if Ford will put more aluminum on the Stang in response to the new Camaro.

michaelmosty
11-25-2015, 05:51 PM
Does anybody have a contact within Ford that would be able to help me out in getting me in contact with the Field Service Engineer that drove my car? He drove it on Monday and the dealer had me come pick it up and (of course) they deemed it as normal b/c the FSE drove a "like vehicle" that did the same thing.
When I picked up my car I asked the dealer to ride with me while I drove one of their new cars (they had 7 manuals on the lot) and the one we drove did not make a single noise. It sucks that the car he drove made the noise so they have deemed it as case closed as it seems like it was just dumb luck on the car he drove (unless the dealer set it up for him to drive one that made the noise).

The dealer would not release any info to me from the FSE and when I called Ford they said that was privileged info as well.
I have found the specific FSE that is assigned to the DFW area and have his name but can not find a number to get in contact with him. Does anyone have any contacts or suggestions for me?

Suck fumes
11-25-2015, 10:20 PM
You can find anyones address/phone number etc if you have their full name. Just dig a little on google.

Al Fernandez
11-26-2015, 03:05 PM
I'm not sure stalking the guy is going to help though. lol

Fbody383
11-27-2015, 11:57 PM
Does anybody have a contact within Ford that would be able to help me out in getting me in contact with the Field Service Engineer that drove my car? Look up the name of the corporate VP of customer service or dealer services. Call investor relations and ask to speak to them by name. If you do it right you will get a call back from somebody who doesn't want you to keep calling a C-suite executive. Be polite but very firm.

Good luck.