PDA

View Full Version : trailer inspection

ShadowBolt
12-22-2015, 09:54 AM
Anyone gone through this yet? I have never had a trailer inspected. I know James got popped once near MSRH if I remember. If I understand you can't get the license plates without an inspection. Does anyone know if they check the runaway brake? My battery is the original and can't be any good this many years later. The trailer builder told me the battery would just last long enough when new to stop the trailer. It's sure to be crap by now. I have never even hooked it up.

JJ

AllZWay
12-22-2015, 11:44 AM
Locally, they do not check anything....just that you have the brake controller installed. I am sure places check more than others.

Fbody383
12-22-2015, 12:49 PM
I did it last year, I think the guy pulled it forward and maybe looked it over.

I've thought about putting the battery in the taillight circuit, if it's already not, to keep it charged.

ShadowBolt
12-22-2015, 03:00 PM
I talked to a friend that owns a place that does inspections and he said they have no way of checking the breakaway system. They just make sure you have one. BL and I looked it up and if your rig loaded is less then 4500 lbs. you do not have to get it inspected.

JJ

Fbody383
12-22-2015, 04:35 PM
BL and I looked it up and if your rig loaded is less then 4500 lbs. you do not have to get it inspected. I even stumbled across the note from DMV last year, to get tags you have to have an inspection. Good luck explaining it to the person you have to get tags from.

marshall_mosty
12-23-2015, 11:00 AM
I am going to try the "online" renewal and will see what happens. I have mine registered as a "shop build" with a 4000lb GVWR.

Supercharged111
12-23-2015, 04:31 PM
So on a serious note, if I install a deep cycle in my trailer would it be a bad idea to hook the runaway brake control to it? Any parasitic draw? Or is it dead until you yank that cable?

Fbody383
12-23-2015, 04:43 PM
So on a serious note, if I install a deep cycle in my trailer would it be a bad idea to hook the runaway brake control to it? Any parasitic draw? Or is it dead until you yank that cable? Having pulled mine out (mostly by accident) I think it's just a 'dead man's switch;' completely open circuit that dumps 12V to the brakes when the cable is pulled.

Supercharged111
12-23-2015, 06:04 PM
Is that a one and done switch or can it be reset? I keep forgetting to get an eye bolt to be able to use mine. Seems silly to hook it to the hitch as that's likely the part that failed if you have to use the setup in the first place.

GlennCMC70
12-23-2015, 09:46 PM
That cable needs to be connected to the same place your safety chains are hooked.

Supercharged111
12-24-2015, 07:25 AM
The assumption is that the ball gets ripped off and the chains remain intact? Not the whole hitch?

jdlingle
12-24-2015, 06:50 PM
One side effect of the "one sticker" program is that it will require us to have our trailers inspected yearly. The DMV won't issue the registration without proof of inspection.

marshall_mosty
12-24-2015, 11:26 PM
One side effect of the "one sticker" program is that it will require us to have our trailers inspected yearly. The DMV won't issue the registration without proof of inspection.

How will they know if you are under the GVWR to require an inspection?

http://twostepsonesticker.com/resources

Fbody383
12-26-2015, 01:56 PM
Is that a one and done switch or can it be reset? I just put the pin back and it stops/goes fine.

jdlingle
12-27-2015, 09:29 PM
How will they know if you are under the GVWR to require an inspection?

http://twostepsonesticker.com/resources

Marshall if your trailer is registered at 4,000 GVWR then it shouldn't require the inspection as I read it. The weight set at the time the trailer is registered is what it goes off of. Since yours is under the 4500 requirement I would probably carry a copy of my trailer registration in the truck just in case it comes up.

Fbody383
12-28-2015, 11:54 AM
For readers of the "other" thread:

SUBCHAPTER B. REGISTRATION REQUIREMENTS

Sec. 502.040. REGISTRATION REQUIRED; GENERAL RULE. (a) Not more than 30 days after purchasing a vehicle or becoming a resident of this state, the owner of a motor vehicle, trailer, or semitrailer shall apply for the registration of the vehicle for:(1) each registration year in which the vehicle is used or to be used on a public highway; andhttp://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/TN/htm/TN.502.htm

I'm not your lawyer... if you are a "resident of this state" I read that the State of Texas wants, if not requires, the trailer to be registered in Texas.

Under this section, what we use to transport race cars is a "trailer."

Pranav
12-28-2015, 02:14 PM
Oops, had meant to put this in the other thread, per Francis' comment:

"$99 for 5 years, have towed past plenty of locals and staties with zero harassment whatsoever. No yearly inspection BS or anything to keep track of:

https://mainetrailerregistrations.com/"

AllZWay
12-28-2015, 02:25 PM
Guys.. When I was ticketed a few years ago, here was one of the key things to keep in mind.

"Any tandem axle trailer can carry at least 5000lbs and is therefore considered over the 4500gvw and subject to the laws above which definitely require trailer brakes, a breakaway device and yearly inspections."

You may get away with a trailer registered under the 4500 limit most times, but a difficult cop can still ticket you without the break away device.

ShadowBolt
12-28-2015, 03:59 PM
Guys.. When I was ticketed a few years ago, here was one of the key things to keep in mind.

"Any tandem axle trailer can carry at least 5000lbs and is therefore considered over the 4500gvw and subject to the laws above which definitely require trailer brakes, a breakaway device and yearly inspections."

You may get away with a trailer registered under the 4500 limit most times, but a difficult cop can still ticket you without the break away device.

I have the break away device but have never even hooked it up. If the hitch and chains all come loose I don't want the trailer near me. Let the guy behind me deal with it.

JJ

marshall_mosty
12-28-2015, 10:38 PM
My trailer successfully passed the online registration. I have a copy of the original registration showing it as a "shop built, 2002 trailer". It does have both brakes and a break away device (just to be on the safe side and pet Johnny Law)...

Alien
12-31-2015, 05:08 PM
I have the break away device but have never even hooked it up. If the hitch and chains all come loose I don't want the trailer near me. Let the guy behind me deal with it.
JJ

But isn't that the point of the break away? The trailer feels the same way you do. Hitch and chains all come loose, the trailer 'slams' on it's brakes to get as far away from you. It's there exactly as you say, to let the guy behind you deal with it and hopefully not go freewheeling into oncoming traffic or into the back of you. Quicker it stops, the better your chance of causing less damage to the car.

marshall_mosty
12-31-2015, 05:14 PM
I got my trailer inspection in the mail today. Good for another year.

Supercharged111
12-31-2015, 05:47 PM
You TX guys are chumps. My MI permanent plate is a one and done deal. :)

ShadowBolt
12-31-2015, 05:49 PM
But isn't that the point of the break away? The trailer feels the same way you do. Hitch and chains all come loose, the trailer 'slams' on it's brakes to get as far away from you. It's there exactly as you say, to let the guy behind you deal with it and hopefully not go freewheeling into oncoming traffic or into the back of you. Quicker it stops, the better your chance of causing less damage to the car.

I just figured the brake would never work anyway but you make a good point.

JJ

Al Fernandez
01-01-2016, 08:18 PM
When I went through this inspection all the guy did is a visual to see if it was all connected correctly and tested that the light/brake/turn lights worked.

marshall_mosty
01-01-2016, 09:46 PM
When I went through this inspection all the guy did is a visual to see if it was all connected correctly and tested that the light/brake/turn lights worked.

Where do you even go to get a trailer inspected?

Al Fernandez
01-04-2016, 10:50 AM
Anywhere that does your annual car inspection

Fbody383
01-05-2016, 02:13 PM
Some places that do(es) your annual car inspection also do trailers. Fixed. It's not a guarantee they will inspect your trailer - check ahead of time.

RichardP
11-06-2017, 11:40 AM
Heads up that the trailer inspection rules have changed (for the better):

Senate Bill 1001
Effective Sept. 1, 2017
SB 1001 changes the actual gross weight or registered gross weight for a trailer, semitrailer, pole trailer, or mobile home from 4,500 pounds or less to 7,500 pounds or less to be exempt from vehicle inspection.

https://www.dps.texas.gov/rsd/vi/newLegislation.htm

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/tlodocs/85R/billtext/pdf/SB01001F.pdf#navpanes=0

Certainly makes things easier for those of us with an open trailer...

If anyone was curious, the rumors are it's all about the money. As in, so many people with small trailers weren't renewing their license tags because of the inspection requirements that the state was loosing money. It's always about the money...

Richard P.

Rob Liebbe
11-09-2017, 09:32 AM
Good catch Richard, thanks.