PDA

View Full Version : Update and Looking Forward (repost)

Todd Covini
10-03-2006, 03:20 AM
Holy Cow...this forum's been hoppin' since I left a few weeks ago!!!
I'm back now from Ohio and Alaska....and I've read most of the posts here regarding Directors, Asst. Directors, Trophy-Gate, nominations, poor Matt White, etc. etc.

Great posts regarding the Director's positions which were spot-on by David Irwin, Clifton, Daron, MW and many others! Reading all the posts really highlights to me how much in the dark you guys must feel. Clifton and I aim to fix that, and he's done a great job of staying abreast here online. My bad there for "hiding behind the title".

I'll try to give a more detailed (Dare I Say...) "State of the Union" soon. For now, I'll just say a few things...

1) We're thru dwelling on the past, beating dead horses, dancing with ghosts of Hallett, and general bitching, moaning, complaining and whining. For those that were at TWS for the W'n More powerpoint presentation, you saw my "Big Bang Theory" and account of the past 3 years. If you weren't there that nite, we missed you, but we're moving forward now and that presentation is gone.

2) Mid-Ohio was awesome on so many different levels.
a) Texas racers proved we were a force-to-be-reckoned-with in nearly every class...and on a few podiums!
b) Series and Race Directors from every region were able to formally and informally discuss things in the interest of having a consistent national effort for both AI & CMC. Personally, it was great to discuss a lot of current events and take away some great "best-practices" from such a large event.
c) The "grass is always greener" phrase proved itself once again when there were a few very similar sticking points in the areas of series direction, rules compliance and other areas. (i.e.- This isn't just a Texas issue....we alls got pimples!)
d) Adam & Shannon truly had a heart to heart and discussed any differences they may have had in person...not over the phone, not in email...in person for nearly an hour. We look forward to having Adam race with us in future events.

3) The original business model for establishing/growing Texas AI/CMC has not changed since Adam & I sat down and wrote it out 4 years ago. All the same constraints, objectives, goals and deliverables to make AI/CMC a success, in our opinion, still exist. What HAS changed are a) how that business model is perceived/received and b) who carries out those tasks.

4) As many of you know, Adam & I are not geniuses....(or would the plural be "geniui"? ;-) We didn't come up with a 3 year plan to successfully get consistent 20 car fields with yours and NASA Texas's help on our own. We simply copied what was previously done thru trials and tribulations on the West Coast over the last 10 years (and more recently in other regions.)

5) For those that have been in Texas AI/CMC since day 1, you'll remember, at that time I was a "semi-retired" racer/series director having just moved from California with a new job and a new baby. The plan was for me to "show Adam the way" as the Series Director, however, given my career and family constraints, he would have to do most of the work, as the Asst. Series Director...and Adam did. My work and family constraints remain the same today (if not greater) than what they were in 2002...however, Adam is no longer in the role as Asst. Director.

6) As some pointed out, there is no use in finding a new Asst. Director if that position has no roles or responsibilities. If NASA TX is going to follow the same business model for AI/CMC themselves, or have a different model and carry it out with NASA TX core staff, then there really is no need for ANY series directors, at all.

7) From multiple conversations with Jay & Shannon, they have reiterated that they want me to stay on in the AI/CMC Director role. I would greatly like to continue in that role as we originally laid it out years ago from a big picture perspective. The last thing anyone wants is to "compete" for series directorship. There is no need for 2 sets of trophies, 2 sets of awards banquets or duplicate anything.

8) I feel as though we've been flexible to adjust to both NASA TX and the racer's wishes/concerns in many areas as we've grown and matured as a series. Sure, I'm stubborn and resist change whenever possible, but IMO, looking back today, the original formula for success has changed quite a bit. Some for very valid reasons and some for not.

9) IMO, the best folks to run the series are the ones who are in it. Even tempered, moderate folks who are passionate about the series. With that, tech will be more efficient, writeups will be more thorough, promotions will be more credible. Any assistance in these an other areas is always appreciated. (The old "ask not what your series has done for you....ask what you can do for your series!")

10) In a nutshell, I've generally promoted a self-managed racing series. I think to some this is perceived as creating a "click" or an "us & them" scenario, but that is clearly not the intention. In most instances, NASA Regions LOVE to delegate as much as possible. The more that is delegated to series directors, the less work for them and the less they have to worry about. Years ago, we coordinated everything from marketing, to promotions, to rules rewrites, to tech inspections, to writeups, to awards banquets, to trophy selections and the list goes on and on to with the help of many of you to get us to where we are today. Many times this has created conflict in one way or another within the group or with NASA. In order to resolve conflict, we've been heading toward a model where NASA TX (i.e.- neutral governing body) takes the role of series direction and all other aspects of it. Nothing wrong with that...just a different management style.

10) So...we are at a crossroads of sorts. The road ahead is only a dead-end if we fail to successfully negotiate the turn. Before we start to nominate new Directors, and find a source/semblance of leadership for the group let me continue to work with NASA with what we already have to further establish/define the roles and responsibilities they would like for their region and also satisfy the needs of the National Series Directors.

If the asst. director is going to primarily do tech.....we'll need someone who is proficient with the rules and can rule with the velvet hammer. If the asst. director is going to primarily assist with writeups...we'll need someone with writing skills, time and patience. You get the picture...it's not a "one size fits all". (FWIW...I think GL, MW, DL, DD, CL, JB, KM and many of the others pitched out there would make great directors...but first we need to know what skills are needed before appointing anyone.)

In closing, please recognize that just because all is quiet from the leadership bench doesn't mean the proverbial series sky is falling and nothing is going on. We'll get there...we're still growing....CMC2 is here....new racers in AI & CMC will be at MSRH....the 2006 Series Shirts are in their final proofing stage....racers will come and racers will go....but the series are managed for sustainability IN EVERYONE'S INTEREST!!!

Todd Covini