PDA

View Full Version : Stoptech rotor

ShadowBolt
05-18-2016, 01:28 PM
Last year (or year before I can't remember) I had replaced the left side rotor ring when the hat to rotor washers bent all up due to the slop worn in the rings. Getting the car ready for Hallett I see the right side ring is now worn out. I need to order a replacement right side We can now run slotted rings. The next question is will it be a problem to have one with slots and one without? I really don't want to have to purchase two rings when the left one still looks good. Where are you guys getting the rings. Slotted or not? Maximum Motorsports shows them with slots but not without.

Jerry

marshall_mosty
05-18-2016, 05:43 PM
You probably won't be able to tell a difference. The slots help the pad "bite" every time the slot passes the leading edge of the pad.

I run slotted.

ShadowBolt
05-18-2016, 07:35 PM
You probably won't be able to tell a difference. The slots help the pad "bite" every time the slot passes the leading edge of the pad.

I run slotted.

I understand what the slots do just worried about a brake pull if one side bites more than the other.

JJ

marshall_mosty
05-18-2016, 07:42 PM
I understand what the slots do just worried about a brake pull if one side bites more than the other.

JJ

It would have been better if the LH side wore out to give you some "pull" CCW.

BryanL
05-19-2016, 09:06 AM
Slotted is legal in CMC and more readily available. When I had all my dealings with Stoptech they had me get them from Cortex Racing in Cali. They have several online places that sell them or maybe amazon. Can chicane23 get them, too? I wouldn't have a clue about one having more bit but my bet is you wouldn't know the difference.

michaelmosty
05-19-2016, 09:22 AM
I found a place online that had them in stock and shipped them to me for $590/pair, slotted w/ race hardware. That was the cheapest and most readily available I could find. If you want the name, I can look it up tonight.

ShadowBolt
05-19-2016, 10:12 AM
Thanks Michael,

Maximum said Stoptech has them in stock and they do not recommend running one slotted and one smooth. I should have ask first but I ordered from Maximum. Price was $325.00 ring and race hardware. Shipping is free right now.

JJ

BryanL
05-19-2016, 12:30 PM
Prices seemed pretty much the same and have gone up as they used to be $250 a pair. $325 is what I saw everywhere.

ShadowBolt
05-19-2016, 04:28 PM
Prices seemed pretty much the same and have gone up as they used to be $250 a pair. $325 is what I saw everywhere.

I wonder how long they would last if the holes did not get screwed up?

Jerry

Supercharged111
05-19-2016, 05:32 PM
Side question Jerry, how long are your rings lasting?

ShadowBolt
05-20-2016, 07:36 AM
Four seasons. Even then the pad surface looks okay but the bolt holes elongate in the ring. The hat does not show any wear.

JJ

BryanL
05-20-2016, 10:53 AM
Conclusion I came to after talking to the founder at Stoptech is at some point you just have to life out certain parts and the ring is one of them. In their mind after one season they should be lifed out as they only want to compare us to big race teams that life everything out after each race. I'm pretty sure they would think we are crazy to want that many seasons out of a rotor ring.
Same thing for me that the hat showed zero wear. Seem the wear isn't going to be the thickness of the ring but when the holes are elongated too much.

Supercharged111
05-20-2016, 01:27 PM
I had no idea the lifespan was that long. I do 2 sets of Autozone rotors per season right now which comes out to about the same as a set of 2 piece rotors, so at least they're not more expensive.

ShadowBolt
05-20-2016, 02:26 PM
I had no idea the lifespan was that long. I do 2 sets of Autozone rotors per season right now which comes out to about the same as a set of 2 piece rotors, so at least they're not more expensive.

I don't think anyone in CMC or AI has broken one of the Stoptech rings. I don't know if you save any money but it's nice not to have to worry about them. I don't think you can just get hats and rotor rings like from Coleman and have them last that long but maybe. I know All runs Wilwood brakes and he may be getting the same life but I doubt it. I don't know if it is the steel, the floating hardware, metal alloy, design or all of it that makes the Stoptech so good.

JJ

Fbody383
05-20-2016, 02:34 PM
You guys just need to slow down to stock brakes...

Al Fernandez
05-23-2016, 08:57 PM
Yeah I run the cheapass roundly round parts...12.2" diameter rotors, non floating, around $100-120 each. they last well over a season but honestly never tracked it.

AI#97
06-15-2016, 08:47 PM
another source if you cannot get the stoptech stuff in time or for a good price...

http://www.racingbrake.com/Rotor-ring-330x28mm-p/1302-311k-s.htm