PDA

View Full Version : Change to rules for the Texas Mile...

gt40
10-05-2006, 02:35 PM
ATTENTION all competing in the Texas Mile:
You have been asking for us to reconsider one of our rules regarding roll cage requirements, especially in the newer production cars that are built from the factory and advertised by the manufacturers for higher speeds. We have been listening. At the Oct 28-29, 2006 Texas Mile, you will
Not be required to have a roll cage with speeds up to 190 MPH.

NOTE: Anyone who exceeds 190 mph without a roll cage will not longer be allowed to run that weekend. CALL us for further information and for final approval if you plan on exceeding speeds of 160 mph with no roll cage or hoop. Hope to see you all out there!!

Am I the only one who thinks this is a bad idea? Just because a manufacturer says the car is capable of those speeds does NOT imply the driver is adequately protected at those speeds. Remember the government doesn't crash-test cars at anywhere near those speeds.

CMC17
10-05-2006, 02:51 PM
If someone is stupid....er silly enough to travel at those speeds without the proper safety equipment, then Darwin just might come into play.

AllZWay
10-05-2006, 03:25 PM
It probably doesn't matter what the top speed is.... I imagine the survival rate of any crash above 120mph is not too good without all the safety equipment.

I sort of agree that saftey is the person's responsibility too.

gt40
10-05-2006, 03:49 PM
It probably doesn't matter what the top speed is.... I imagine the survival rate of any crash above 120mph is not too good without all the safety equipment.

I sort of agree that saftey is the person's responsibility too.Absolutely, but the sanctioning organization has a responsibiliity to put on a safe event and part of that means requiring participants to meet a certain level of safety gear.

If something bad happens (God forbid!) NasaTx could be in big trouble, liability-wise.

What's even more shocking is that NasaTx's insurance carrier signed off on this (at least, I'm assuming they did.)

Remember when the LSR-PCA's insurance folks pitched a fit when they found out they were taking lap times at Hallett to figure out who needed to be bumped up or down a run group??

oz98cobra
10-06-2006, 03:40 PM
So if you crash a viper at 185 you're cool, but at over 190, you'd better have a roll bar? yeah right!! :shock:

It is true that the sanctioning body has an obligation to enforce SENSIBLE safety rules! Imagine if drag racing sanctioning bodies did not insist on approved roll cages for cars that run 11s or better - you'd have all these clowns in their blown and/or juiced street stangs, ricers, and other junk running 10s quarters ... and killing themselves when they wiped out! It can NEVER be left to the racers to, because many of them do not do the sensible thing - too many fools have the "it won't happen to me because I know how to drive and besides, I'm indestructable!" attitude going on!

I don't understand how NASA officially fits in with the Texas Mile thing - I see they have borrowed sections of the CCRs for some of their safety rules - at least the rules for cars at least, since NASA rules have nothing to do with motorcycles - and I see NASA TX mentioned on the website in a few places - but I don't see how it can be an officially sanctioned NASA event? I figured it was just a J&S Motorsports gig?