PDA

View Full Version : LS2 Oil Level

BlueGoat
08-30-2016, 02:29 PM
General discussion may not be the proper place to post this but I am forum illiterate so this is where I am putting it. :confused::confused:
I have an LS2 in the GTO and the guy I purchased from said he modified the oil pan internally (baffles) to help with oil pressure loss. I come from Spec Miata where you can damn near double the oil qty in it and it would not hurt anything except HP.
I have not seen any oil pressure drop in the car but my curiosity is how much extra oil can I safely add without hurting seals and building up pressure? Headed to Watkins Glen and it is a high speed track with a couple longer high speed corners that could potentially cause oil pressure loss when oil flows away from the pump. I know perfect solution would be to change the oil pan but funds and time have gone away.
Thanks in advance.

BryanL
08-30-2016, 03:46 PM
Does it have an accusump? Low pressure light? What kind of pan does it have? I run my LS1 at least a quart over and always have. Building up pressure I think is more to do with crankcase pressure and pushing the oil out through the pcv system-lots of theories on the best setup. Do you have a oil catch can?

BlueGoat
08-30-2016, 04:17 PM
If I am not mistaken AI is not allowed to run accusump. The dash has a low oil level light that blinks that I can not see due to my TraqMate but it would say low oil. I installed an oil pressure gauge and it never shows low oil pressure when the low oil level light comes on. Currently I am running a stock pan with most likely homemade baffles in it. The previous owner says they modified it. I do have breather hoses on each valve cover.

RichardP
08-30-2016, 05:30 PM
If I am not mistaken AI is not allowed to run accusump.

AI is allowed an accusump. So is CMC. AI is not allowed a dry sump because the flatter pan would allow you to lower the engine.

Richard P.

BlueGoat
09-01-2016, 04:26 PM
I seem to learn things I should already know every day. Thanks for clarification Richard, I am re-learning what everything is again. I may go with the Accusump if money and time allows before Nationals. Any recommendations on a good unit and size for an LS2?

BryanL
09-02-2016, 08:57 AM
I have a used one in the garage. I believe they are a pretty standard size like 3 quarts or something. I wonder if the previous owner used an Improved racing baffle or something to that effect. There are a few places on the tracks in Texas that I have seen it dump before and I'm slow. It's a bandaid but it has seemed to work.

Storm Trooper
09-02-2016, 10:58 AM
Moroso makes a really good roadrace pan for LS motors that's what I'm running on mine, no oil issues at all!

marshall_mosty
09-05-2016, 09:04 PM
Kevin,
Get the larger of the two Accusump... Just gives you more time before it emptys. The beauty of them is you never know when they are working, except that you never see the oil pressure light.