PDA

View Full Version : 2017 TWS Projections

Supercharged111
09-27-2016, 11:35 PM
Currently there are factors in place that will adversely impact my attendance at Hallett yet again in 2017, so if I had to pick another long distance event the #2 is TWS hands down. Are we thinking they'll keep kicking that can or is it up in the air still? I can probably pull something off in the Jan/Feb/March/April timeframe if it's not on top of an RM event and if I don't break the car. I have a local event to attend in Oct and insufficient funds to run 2 events in 1 month unless you fine folks want to sponsor this mid-pack slacker. I'll push extra hard for your RCRs, what do ya say? :D

BryanL
09-28-2016, 05:14 PM
Oh-I saw this and all I wanted to add was the projection of the 24 ahead of the 55. I don't know but the grapevine I heard was that it was for real this time and would be our last event. That gravepine isn't from NASA either.

mach1
09-28-2016, 05:53 PM
Oh-I saw this and all I wanted to add was the projection of the 24 ahead of the 55. I don't know but the grapevine I heard was that it was for real this time and would be our last event. That gravepine isn't from NASA either.

I guess the "last time" game finally wore off, reg is only at 55 people per the official listing, it may also be due to the rising costs of registration, I was really surprised at $359 considering TWS is on it's last leg. Maybe it's the man trying to capitalize on the hype of TWS?

I wonder how 2017 looks, might be bad news for the DFW folk.

Houston 5hr
Cresson 1hr
Houston 5hr
NOLA 9hr
Hallett 5hr
Houston 5hr
Houston 5hr

Pranav
09-28-2016, 06:00 PM
Couldn't we do Cresson twice? I like going up there from Houston. Maybe ECR will finally fix their crap too? Maybe we should branch out and add a dirt track to the mix.

ShadowBolt
09-28-2016, 06:38 PM
I guess the "last time" game finally wore off, reg is only at 55 people per the official listing, it may also be due to the rising costs of registration, I was really surprised at $359 considering TWS is on it's last leg. Maybe it's the man trying to capitalize on the hype of TWS?

I wonder how 2017 looks, might be bad news for the DFW folk.

Houston 5hr
Cresson 1hr
Houston 5hr
NOLA 9hr
Hallett 5hr
Houston 5hr
Houston 5hr

If true I will only make two or three races next year.

No warning on the $359.00

dtanker65
09-28-2016, 09:00 PM
Couldn't we do Cresson twice? I like going up there from Houston. Maybe ECR will finally fix their crap too? Maybe we should branch out and add a dirt track to the mix.

Ding, Ding, Ding!

I hope ECR can raise the funding, eliminating one of the straights and adding some high speed esses would make it an excellent course.

Hallett, what else is there to say.

Houston is a long haul for me and the concrete patch eats up tires on my car. Been to Nola twice, not much interest in going back.

The COTA short course would be good. Has anyone driven San Marcos? Maybe some crossover events with RM or Mid-West? High Plains is a bit far but it's a really fun track, Road America?

The other regions are holding regional points races on national caliber tracks, why aren't we?

marshall_mosty
09-28-2016, 09:47 PM
I think there might be a few new tracks in the sights for next season. The schedule will hopefully be solidified by the end of October.

drecords
09-28-2016, 09:50 PM
Curious why folks don't like NOLA besides the long tow? Went there for the first time this year and thought the facility and track was great.

GlennCMC70
09-28-2016, 10:06 PM
I would love to find a city that would host an amateur street course race.

Supercharged111
09-28-2016, 11:12 PM

LOL, that'd be an immediate first and last with CMC.

drecords
09-29-2016, 09:42 AM

Don't they normally run like a Ferrari Challenge when they do the Houston GP...just saying those guys are pretty much club racers with HHHUUUGGGEEE bank accounts. We should be able to sell someone on this.

LOL, that'd be an immediate first and last with CMC.

We only need one!!! :D

Supercharged111
09-29-2016, 11:23 PM
Don't they normally run like a Ferrari Challenge when they do the Houston GP...just saying those guys are pretty much club racers with HHHUUUGGGEEE bank accounts. We should be able to sell someone on this.

We only need one!!! :D

It'd be the "hey, do you guys remember that one time. . .". So if there is no TWS, ECR is the closest but is it worth splurging an extra couple hundred miles for MSRH?

michaelmosty
09-30-2016, 09:09 AM
Curious why folks don't like NOLA besides the long tow? Went there for the first time this year and thought the facility and track was great.

Personally, I think it is a fun track to "drive". As a "race" track, I think it sucks. Just too few passing opportunities IMO.

drecords
09-30-2016, 10:14 AM
Personally, I think it is a fun track to "drive". As a "race" track, I think it sucks. Just too few passing opportunities IMO.

I agree with that. My spousal unit loved NOLA due to the variety of air conditioned buildings and the fact she could get chargrilled oysters for dinner.

AI#97
09-30-2016, 05:02 PM
In my humble opinion.....and closest to the scuttlebutt of College Station, the finances to do anything even remotely related to converting the TWS track property into a housing development are non-existent. Don't let the missing VIP stands scare you guys when you arrive in a couple weeks. They probably just need money for toilet paper! lol!

So many rumors flying around but I honestly don't see the track going anywhere unless a giant hole opens up and swallows it. It's the ONLY revenue stream they have and honestly, it isn't that much. So far, I've been right.

Pranav
09-30-2016, 05:24 PM
Yeah and I heard the current garage tenants haven't even been asked to move yet?

ShadowBolt
09-30-2016, 08:36 PM
In my humble opinion.....and closest to the scuttlebutt of College Station, the finances to do anything even remotely related to converting the TWS track property into a housing development are non-existent. Don't let the missing VIP stands scare you guys when you arrive in a couple weeks. They probably just need money for toilet paper! lol!

So many rumors flying around but I honestly don't see the track going anywhere unless a giant hole opens up and swallows it. It's the ONLY revenue stream they have and honestly, it isn't that much. So far, I've been right.

I hope you are right Matt. If it does not close the owner is going to look like an even bigger Tool than he already does. With the oil bidness being what it is today and a ton of investment money coming from guys swimming in cash when oil is $100.00 a barrel I don't see it but my contacts say it's closing. What about the story about the lot that turn six is on being sold already? If that was true how are we still able to use turn 6?

JJ

AI#97
09-30-2016, 10:46 PM
I hope you are right Matt. If it does not close the owner is going to look like an even bigger Tool than he already does. With the oil bidness being what it is today and a ton of investment money coming from guys swimming in cash when oil is $100.00 a barrel I don't see it but my contacts say it's closing. What about the story about the lot that turn six is on being sold already? If that was true how are we still able to use turn 6?

JJ

turn 6 sale was just posturing to set prices per acre.

The only other platting or site documentation work that has been done I can find is all the commercial work out front which doesn't even line up with the original site plan released a long time ago. Only money flowing in is the track rentals, minus costs. If there was real money involved AND a plan, there would be equipment out there on the frontage moving dirt 18 months ago. Froy hasn't even mowed that shit.

Suck fumes
09-30-2016, 11:08 PM
Back in 1976, 1977 Austin hosted the "river city road races" on 1st street going through downtown. My dad still has the framed poster of the event when he competed in it. Looked pretty cool!

RichardP
09-30-2016, 11:36 PM
From the people who rent the track: TWS has significantly raised the price to rent the track and only very recently put out feelers to rent dates for next year. At this point, any decent group would have already locked down next years schedule. Also, there is some expensive maintenance that would need to be done to keep events viable. Expenses that you wouldn't execute on if you weren't sure things were going to continue.

Between the price, the schedule, and conditions, groups are saying no or signing up for minimal events. Who would have guessed that the Third Annual Last Ever TWS Event wouldn't have that much hype? Speculation is that they will have a lot of open weekends and make less money than they would have if they weren't playing these games. Seems to me that the place is going to collapse under gross mismanagement and sit there for years before the whole thing is abandoned at a loss...

Richard P.

AI#97
10-03-2016, 01:56 PM
From the people who rent the track: TWS has significantly raised the price to rent the track and only very recently put out feelers to rent dates for next year. At this point, any decent group would have already locked down next years schedule. Also, there is some expensive maintenance that would need to be done to keep events viable. Expenses that you wouldn't execute on if you weren't sure things were going to continue.

Between the price, the schedule, and conditions, groups are saying no or signing up for minimal events. Who would have guessed that the Third Annual Last Ever TWS Event wouldn't have that much hype? Speculation is that they will have a lot of open weekends and make less money than they would have if they weren't playing these games. Seems to me that the place is going to collapse under gross mismanagement and sit there for years before the whole thing is abandoned at a loss...

Richard P.

Yep. And after additional rumors heard from this past weekend, that is exactly what I more or less predicted 3 years ago. Should make for a nice bargain to buy a racetrack this time next year! ;)

Rob Liebbe
10-07-2016, 10:39 AM
Just got this note from Dell Hughes at Track Guys...

"We just got word that TWS will be open for 2017 so we will be putting on the Track Guys Third Final Lone Star Round Up for 2017.

Still working on dates but I have requested March 24-26, which would be our normal weekend. I will let you know what weekend we get and if we can get another weekend for 2017.

Hope you can join us.

Dell R. Hughes
Track Guys Performance Driving Events"

We'll see what happens I guess.

ShadowBolt
10-08-2016, 12:05 PM
Why the hell would the dumbass tear down the VIP stands? I'm sure it cost him more to have them torn down and hauled off than he got for the scrap. That was the only good place to watch the races where you could see most of the track. I don't get his reasoning.

JJ

marshall_mosty
10-08-2016, 01:09 PM
In talking with Sam. The city came in and to get him to the proposed "value" of the track that he wanted to sell it for, they identified some of the track "structures" to add value to. Unfortunately now that puts him in the hole on taxes so he's systematically dismantling the track bit by bit to lighten his tax burden. That is why the aluminum stands (where we couldn't go anyway) were removed and several structures behind the press box were also removed.

AI#97
10-08-2016, 09:49 PM
Why the hell would the dumbass tear down the VIP stands? I'm sure it cost him more to have them torn down and hauled off than he got for the scrap. That was the only good place to watch the races where you could see most of the track. I don't get his reasoning.

JJ

It's even worse than you think. NOW they can't do the TWS drags because those folks have nowhere to watch the racing from. Killed that EASY revenue. LOL! As for cost, Froy is doing it stick for stick so it's a sunk cost. It's taken him MONTHS to do just a 1/3 of it. I was joking with Froy the other day that if the plan is for him to do ALL the work to develop the place, the track will be there another 20 years! We laughed!