PDA

View Full Version : Toyo Tires - CMC size: Price??

Mike Bell
10-07-2006, 11:08 AM
Seems like it has been a year since I bought Toyos, was wondering where everyone is getting them these days and the price? I need two right away for the upcoming MSRH event. In the past I just called Vilven for shaved tires but I can't even recall the price anymore, anyone got another good supplier for shaved?

mitchntx
10-07-2006, 11:29 AM
Call AJ at Performance Speedtech.

PST has been a good supporter of our local series. And it appears they are stepping up to offer more for CMC.

Mike Bell
10-07-2006, 11:35 AM
Thx Mitch, I like to support those who support us. PST has no issues with the shaved portion? I seem to recall an old thread where we heard some nightmare shave jobs but with my foggy memory can't remember who/when/where lol.

jeffburch
10-07-2006, 12:28 PM
Phil and Kim are good peeps as well.

http://philstireservice.com/

jb

mitchntx
10-07-2006, 02:06 PM
Thx Mitch, I like to support those who support us. PST has no issues with the shaved portion? I seem to recall an old thread where we heard some nightmare shave jobs but with my foggy memory can't remember who/when/where lol.

I believe that was at Archer's ...

mitchntx
10-07-2006, 02:09 PM
Having said that, I have 4 new shaved Toyos that will be rocks by the time I get to us them next time.

I bought them just before Hallett and put a single, easy heat cycle on them.

Maybe we can make a deal if you are so inclined. I can get Glenn to deliver them to Houston track on Friday.

Mike Bell
10-07-2006, 02:37 PM
Sure thing Mitch, shoot me a PM with the price and hopefully we can cut a deal if Glenn has room to haul them. Thx!

marshall_mosty
10-07-2006, 05:21 PM
I've talked with AJ at PST. He buys his tires from Vilven, both shaved and full tread. He doesn't have a specific agreement with Toyo... at least not 6 months ago when we discussed it.

donovan
10-07-2006, 05:35 PM

I believe that was at Archer's ...

My tires from Archer are round and balanced... no problems here...
I even talked with Bobby about it, he claimed it was one set and an isolated situation.

y5e06
10-09-2006, 08:54 AM
My tires from Archer are round and balanced... no problems here...
I even talked with Bobby about it, he claimed it was one set and an isolated situation.

ah, I bought my current set from Archer at TWS. two were great. Another was shaved but still had significantly more tread than the 'normal' shaved. No, I didn't measure them. And the last one? well it was baaaddd. uneven shaving and nicks and minor groving. I needed tires then or I wouldn't have bought these. I'll be thinking ahead next time and order else where.
I will say his service was friendly and his price was inline with Vilven, just poor shave job on two of the tires.....
Kinda disappointing really as I would like to support the vendors who show up to the track and offer good service and pricing (for tires).

Mike Bell
10-09-2006, 08:59 AM
I got burned at the track on a set of Toyo's too, two of them had a 2000 date code. IIRC we bought 6 that day from them. The other four had 2005 date codes.

AI#97
10-09-2006, 09:03 AM
last time I spoke with archer, maybe 4 months ago, they are no longer carrying toyos because they could not find a local company that could shave them and be competitive or accurate....they weren't going to waste their time to even try.

Call vilven and get a quality tire, shaved correctly, from fresh stock and at a great price.....

jeffburch
10-09-2006, 10:06 AM
'00's of mine were jet fast. Kept one for sentimental reasons.
Bev says she can't shadow box a damn tire.
I'm of the opinion that the whole tire hardness stuff is a load of poo.
They may look hard and brown when cold but at temp they soften as normal.
Those '00's had innumerable heat cycles and lived on my trailer uncovered when at home.
I resently invested in a set of full treads for rain and will haul them around unused till they turn to dust.

Look on Phil's website, http://philstireservice.com/ he has alot of info on the RA1.
Those guys are great. Kim gave me a free nationals tee shirt for doing biz with them.
They won't gouge your eyes out to the tune of $29 shipping per tire either.

jb

Mike Bell
10-09-2006, 10:08 AM
Uh, I'll bite:

Who in the hell are Phil and Kim?? :?:

jeffburch
10-09-2006, 10:14 AM
Uh, I'll bite:

Who in the hell are Phil and Kim?? :?:

Husband and wife.
Small mom/pop out of NY that support NASA in that area of the country.
He races. Good folks. Cheaper than most, take toyo bucks.
http://philstireservice.com/
Highly recommended, 2 thumbs way up. 4 stars.

jb

Mike Bell
10-09-2006, 10:15 AM
Thanks JB. As usual, I'm clueless.

AllZWay
10-09-2006, 10:42 AM
Does most everyone buy shaved tires?

I still haven't bought a set yet either. Still working on my car and making sure I am going to make it before I buy a set.

jeffburch
10-09-2006, 10:53 AM

I still haven't bought a set yet either. Still working on my car and making sure I am going to make it before I buy a set.

Yes.
4/32 is how they come.
As they get thinner, they get faster. More patch and less weight.
Full treads on dry are slow.

jb

michaelmosty
10-09-2006, 11:04 AM

James,
I started off this year with a set of full treads. I could tell by the third event they were alot better and the 4th event they felt great. By this 6th event at TWS I think they had too many heat cycles and didn't feel as good.
I bought a set of shaved 4/32's for Houston. Shaved is the way to go!

AllZWay
10-09-2006, 11:06 AM
Thanks guys... I figured that might be the case, but thought maybe some tried to use full treads for longevity.

marshall_mosty
10-09-2006, 11:14 AM
I even prefer over heat-cycled "slicks" over a fresher full tread. The squirm and balling up (sp?) on the tread blocks sucks.