PDA

View Full Version : AI or CMC cars in WRL?

crazyamc
01-18-2017, 04:26 PM
Hey everybody, I've been absent from the 'grassroots scene' a while- (vintage racing is getting out of my league)... Curious if anyone runs an AI or CMC legal car with WRL at all? Road racing and endurance are my passions; but the ability to run a local 'sprint weekend' with the same car I could run in the 8 hour or more events would make for easier weekends/travel decisions... I would prefer not to hear the popular "....... what you should do is...." None of this racing or budget makes sense- we do what we want/like/enjoy.... Thanks!!! Ken

drecords
01-18-2017, 04:55 PM
Hey everybody, I've been absent from the 'grassroots scene' a while- (vintage racing is getting out of my league)... Curious if anyone runs an AI or CMC legal car with WRL at all? Road racing and endurance are my passions; but the ability to run a local 'sprint weekend' with the same car I could run in the 8 hour or more events would make for easier weekends/travel decisions... I would prefer not to hear the popular "....... what you should do is...." None of this racing or budget makes sense- we do what we want/like/enjoy.... Thanks!!! Ken

Ken, no doubt an AI/CMC car would be legal and fun in a WRL event, Sam runs a V6 swapped fox body in WRL ?GP4? And does very well.

My concern with a CMC legal car is the size of the fuel tank and how much fuel these cars go through. I used to run a WRL E30 and it was pretty clear that a large portion of winning was dependent on long fuel stops due to the mandatory 5mins when stopping for fuel. As far as I know WRL has a rule against putting a giant fuel cell in the car also...Iirc it's no greater than 10% over stock. Sam probably has better insights being that he's overcome this challenge with his fox.

With all that said...WRL is a blast and I can't wait to get back out with that group later this year. A guy that used to rent a seat in our E30 has turned his BRZ streetcar into an endurance racer...it should be fuel efficient and reasonably quick.

crazyamc
01-18-2017, 07:28 PM
Ken, no doubt an AI/CMC car would be legal and fun in a WRL event, Sam runs a V6 swapped fox body in WRL ?GP4? And does very well.

My concern with a CMC legal car is the size of the fuel tank and how much fuel these cars go through. I used to run a WRL E30 and it was pretty clear that a large portion of winning was dependent on long fuel stops due to the mandatory 5mins when stopping for fuel. As far as I know WRL has a rule against putting a giant fuel cell in the car also...Iirc it's no greater than 10% over stock. Sam probably has better insights being that he's overcome this challenge with his fox.

With all that said...WRL is a blast and I can't wait to get back out with that group later this year. A guy that used to rent a seat in our E30 has turned his BRZ streetcar into an endurance racer...it should be fuel efficient and reasonably quick.

Yes, all of the above sounds correct to me also. I've also daydreamed about building a TDI Jetta. I had a discussion with Joey ( HMFIC @ WRL) about diesel cars, and he said " bring it!" I know mileage wouldn't be great with a V8 anything, but the possibility of all that seat time, working lights, and a car at least 25 years old says it could be a weekend go to Cars and Coffee Endurance AI CMC Racer/Driver... :) Hook me up with Sam in pm if you don't mind? Thanks a ton! Ken

michaelmosty
01-25-2017, 01:05 PM
I previously ran with a team that had a Fox body in Chump and we had great success. It had was it basically a CMC carb engine. It had a fuel cell, I think 16 gallons and we were running about 1 hour 40 min stints at ECR. It worked perfectly that we did 3 stops during the 7-hour race. We just had to be a little light on the throttle and not rev too high. I drove the entire stint in 4th gear unless I needed to pass someone. I think we were running around 2:13 lap times.
Came in 2nd on Saturday because one driver ran out of gas entering pit road and got 1st on Sunday.

mach1
01-25-2017, 03:06 PM
I previously ran with a team that had a Fox body in Chump and we had great success. It had was it basically a CMC carb engine. It had a fuel cell, I think 16 gallons and we were running about 1 hour 40 min stints at ECR. It worked perfectly that we did 3 stops during the 7-hour race. We just had to be a little light on the throttle and not rev too high. I drove the entire stint in 4th gear unless I needed to pass someone. I think we were running around 2:13 lap times.
Came in 2nd on Saturday because one driver ran out of gas entering pit road and got 1st on Sunday.

Good info, I wonder if the ticket to the 5.0 living forever is keeping it under 5k rpm. Maybe a stock cam with gt40p's will put out 260 and you have a cheap and reliable 5.0, power band will be great for low rpm shift points.

Engine Life at RPM
4500 5542hrs
5000 3700hrs
5500 1127hrs
6000 71hrs

WutApex
02-13-2017, 08:59 PM
... As far as I know WRL has a rule against putting a giant fuel cell in the car also...Iirc it's no greater than 10% over stock... dang, didn't see that the first time I skimmed the rules. I'd have to take a hit on the 22gal enduro cell I have.

Pranav
02-14-2017, 01:01 PM

I had always wanted to try enduro in my hooptie once I got a decent stretch of reliability. I'm wondering if running a spare ECU tuned to run a little leaner (currently runs 12:1 in CMC trim, thinking closer to 12.8:1), less timing, and maybe a throttle stop and staying in 4th gear would be the way to go.

Supercharged111
02-14-2017, 02:30 PM
I had always wanted to try enduro in my hooptie once I got a decent stretch of reliability. I'm wondering if running a spare ECU tuned to run a little leaner (currently runs 12:1 in CMC trim, thinking closer to 12.8:1), less timing, and maybe a throttle stop and staying in 4th gear would be the way to go.

The throttle stop may prevent the engine from entering PE mode, so be mindful of how those 2 play into one another.

Fbody383
02-14-2017, 02:52 PM
staying in 4th gear would be the way to go. I hear 4th gear can be competitive at TWS.

Pranav
02-14-2017, 03:21 PM
The throttle stop may prevent the engine from entering PE mode, so be mindful of how those 2 play into one another.

Yeah it's always a combo of throttle and calculated load and other stuff that I never looked into. Would have to be figured out on the dyno.

Just a loose thought for later, for now I am focused solely on CMC.

Any word on if NASATX will start doing Friday enduros again?

Fbody383
02-14-2017, 05:28 PM
Any word on if NASATX will start doing Friday enduros again? My guess is that if you could find 20 cars to sign up and run from 1-7pm (or 1-5pm) at a summer event you might get one on the calendar.

Supercharged111
02-15-2017, 01:02 AM
Yeah it's always a combo of throttle and calculated load and other stuff that I never looked into. Would have to be figured out on the dyno.

Just a loose thought for later, for now I am focused solely on CMC.

Any word on if NASATX will start doing Friday enduros again?

PE engagement is triggered solely by RPM and TPS. There are other tables for spark modifiers, ramp in/out and stuff, but the commanded AFR is in that RPM/TPS table which is an on/off 2D map.

AllZWay
02-15-2017, 09:06 AM
I wished they would run an enduro and I could find someone I could help pay for it and they would let me drive. :D

Fbody383
02-15-2017, 09:51 AM
I wished they would run an enduro and I could find someone I could help pay for it and they would let me drive. :D Always welcome in the #39. After we add a lot of padding you might be able to stay put.

Pranav, pick an event - Cresson might be too soon, and post it up on the NASA main site. Text Will to make sure you're not stepping on toes and see what concerns/interest he might have. Maybe a Friday 4 hour for TWS?

GlennCMC70
02-15-2017, 09:19 PM
I wished they would run an enduro and I could find someone I could help pay for it and they would let me drive. :D
I know a guy with a car that kicks ass @ enduros.

ShadowBolt
02-15-2017, 09:33 PM

I know him too but he does not race anymore.

dtanker65
02-15-2017, 10:34 PM
Bill Ahga would be somebody to ask about WRL. His team is very competitive. He does run a dedicated WRL car, the rules are way different from Nasa.

AllZWay
02-16-2017, 04:03 PM

I know.. we should run one. :D

Supercharged111
02-17-2017, 09:57 AM
Looks like they're switching to WHP next year. I wonder how they'll adjust their scales because that could be an issue for a 275chp LT1 that, for some reason, makes 290whp unrestricted. They say you can't ballast up to max out a class, I wonder if they'll expand that to not allowing a guy to plate down to stay out of the unlimited group where a CMC car would get raped. The only points my car would take is for the wing, the diff, and possibly the shocks even though they're not adjustable. The wording is wishy washy in that first row for shocks. If you eat points for revalved stockers, it stands to reason a set of Bilstein race shocks are on the hook too.

Rob Liebbe
02-17-2017, 12:36 PM
I know.. we should run one. :D

I'll crew, but only if there is ice cream.

Also, best enduro car I ever saw (in our world anyway) was a turbocharged Spec Miata.

Supercharged111
02-17-2017, 04:10 PM
I'll crew, but only if there is ice cream.

Also, best enduro car I ever saw (in our world anyway) was a turbocharged Spec Miata.

Found it.

http://www.motoiq.com/Projects/Mazda/Frankenmiata.aspx