PDA

View Full Version : New Scales

nasawill
02-06-2017, 02:13 PM
Hey folks!

I've heard input over the last season or so about our scales being inconsistent as they see some pretty bad wear-n-tear getting beat up getting used a little differently (a lot more usage) than I think these longacres were designed for. I've looked into building a cool set like NorCal and the SouthEast use which is basically a rig made out of a couple long trailer ramps with load cells underneath. I just don't have the space to make something work with everything I already haul to and from events, so I'm sticking with a longacre setup for now. We're also working on some ramps to better suit lower cars. So I'm buying the new android tablet powered wireless setup which has some cool functionality. The point of this note is just to advise that new scales will be setup by Friday afternoon at Cresson and based on the recent input I'm guessing they'll be off from the last set, so be sure to get on and set your ballast before qualifying. In an effort to cut down on some wear and tear of the new setup we'll be asking that cars only get pushed on and off the new setup. We'll our best to have at least a couple folks in tech to help push cars on and off after timed sessions for this purpose, but if you go over at a random time and our tech staff tied up please plan to bring a friend to help push you on and off. Hopefully this new set gets rid of confusion regarding our setup and lets you dial in weights more consistently at the event.

ShadowBolt
02-06-2017, 02:16 PM
Like I told you before if you get me CAD files of the ramps I will build them for you.

JJ

marshall_mosty
02-06-2017, 02:41 PM
That's a very generous offer Jerry. Let me work with Will and see if something can get sketched up.

nasawill
02-06-2017, 02:48 PM
You guys are awesome. Hank is working on sketches as we speak to get to Marshall who will get them into CAD for us.

Thanks guys!

Pranav
02-06-2017, 03:15 PM
Just curious because it may affect some work I may do before cresson, do we feel that the scales are reading heavy or light?

My personal experience: Car post LS swap weighed around 3315ish with a full tank on a set of lightly used intercomp scales I borrowed. No clue on how well calibrated they were.

Same car with a full tank was around 3435ish with an additional 30lbs ballast pre-race on the NASA scales. So roughly +90lbs heavier than what I thought it should be.

I took out 30lbs for the event, but have some more weight I was considering taking out to get closer to the 3300 min, but only if I really need to

Just curious if we can expect the new scales to be higher or lower than previously?

Fbody383
02-06-2017, 03:34 PM
We're pretty good about weight these days.

In my opinion, I would cuff you the scales at Houston were in the 10lb-ish high range from what we were expecting after pulling ballast for the lower dyno.

Got no problems with pushing cars if that give us some hardware longevity.

Pranav
02-06-2017, 04:41 PM
Gotcha; my basis is from an outsider's perspective; I didn't' weigh much over the previous year at events.

I recall the car gained a bunch of weight when we last got new scales a while back so I was wondering what people felt they were comparing with other scales vs relative event by event.