PDA

View Full Version : Cota

Pranav
02-17-2017, 10:47 AM
Supplemental regs are up, looks like registration opens at noon, Friday the 24th.

http://nasatx.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=9ebeef4db1cfbd205bbfafcb4&id=fb1c0b9bbc&e=3e55e49fab

So who's going?

drecords
02-17-2017, 10:54 AM
I'm in pending decent turnout in CMC. Interested to hear who else is going???

blk96gt
02-17-2017, 11:01 AM
I'm in. I'm willing fork up an initial $500 for a garage if three other people want to split it with me. There is definitely enough room for 4 cars.

marshall_mosty
02-17-2017, 11:11 AM
I'm planning on getting a garage with:

1. Me
2. Jerry/Jay
3. Brian L.
4. Mark Smith

dtanker65
02-17-2017, 11:42 AM
I am interested in a 1/4 share in a garage

Dennis Tanker

Pranav
02-17-2017, 11:55 AM
Looks like enough people are in for me to be in, didn't want to run if there were less than 5.

I may be interested in a garage. Is anyone going to do the Friday practice too? I have never driven at COTA.

mach1
02-17-2017, 12:40 PM
I should be in to split a garage

drecords
02-17-2017, 02:06 PM
Also in to split a garage

Suck fumes
02-17-2017, 02:09 PM
I'm in. Can't miss this one!

ShadowBolt
02-17-2017, 02:58 PM
I really hope it's worth all the extra money. Certainly have to run it one time but maybe it's a one time deal for Jay and I. I know it's a nice place but over three times what we usually pay? I don't see how one race weekend at COTA could be better than one race at Hallet, one at TWS and one somewhere else.

JJ

Pranav
02-17-2017, 03:03 PM
Yeah this is a one time deal for me too. If this event is on the calendar for the same price next year I likely wouldn't do it.

mach1
02-17-2017, 03:31 PM
I really hope it's worth all the extra money. Certainly have to run it one time but maybe it's a one time deal for Jay and I. I know it's a nice place but over three times what we usually pay? I don't see how one race weekend at COTA could be better than one race at Hallet, one at TWS and one somewhere else.

JJ

Yeah I feel ya, might be a one time deal for me too. I paid $850 for COTA a few years ago, this was for 3 days, Friday/Sat/Sun.
NOLA is a nice place too and I think I paid $280 for the weekend last year.

That being said, this is the nicest track in the country and an absolute pleasure to drive. NASA is in a good position here, supply vs demand and I bet they will fill up every spot even at $1200 because of the hype.
Hopefully once that dies down the costs will come down a bit but not significantly unless they drop the track rental price.

My math is fuzzy here but I figure group limit of 50 cars, 7 groups, 350 people.
$420k

Figure 1/2 that many people for the TnT, another $100k.

Track rental was $50k/day last I heard so $150k for that, figure $50k for op expenses,
$50k in instructor discounts.
$250k net profit? Maybe we will see reg drop a bit in the future if these numbers are remotely correct.

Also keep in mind this will be the safest event you will likely ever be a part of, that is a huge consideration for me, it could make the difference in life or death, huge runoffs, safe walls if you hit them, etc.
Hard to put a price on that kind of safety. The "damage" costs are initially off putting, but if you consider a few grand in damage vs a 100k hospital bill + pain and suffering, it's a damn deal.

In the meantime, I am going to call my guy in Columbia and have him ship me some bricks so I can make this happen :)

AllZWay
02-17-2017, 05:38 PM
I saw the price and was surprised. It would definitely be fun to race and I probably would pay up for it once also, but an event 3x times as much as others seems out of line.

JMR81
02-17-2017, 06:28 PM
It's a great place. we've been there enough that the gee whiz has worn off. I think we'll wait and see what the format is going to be before comitting.

ShadowBolt
02-17-2017, 09:02 PM
It's a great place. we've been there enough that the gee whiz has worn off. I think we'll wait and see what the format is going to be before comitting.
After this one time it will have to equal the fun of three events for me or it's not worth it.

JJ

dtanker65
02-17-2017, 09:27 PM

Apples and oranges, NOLA cannot Compare with COTA.
Invite your friends and family, watch their response to having the run of the F1 paddock and getting close to the cars at COTA.

That being said, this is the nicest track in the country and an absolute pleasure to drive. NASA is in a good position here, supply vs demand and I bet they will fill up every spot even at $1200 because of the hype.

COTA is 500/day to get on track minimum in any other venue.

Track rental was $50k/day last I heard so $150k for that, figure $50k for op expenses,
$250k net profit?

I don't know diddly shit about insurance, required track crew, concessions, etc....

Also keep in mind this will be the safest event you will likely ever be a part of, that is a huge consideration for me, it could make the difference in life or death, huge runoffs, safe walls if you hit them, etc.

Avoid hitting anything....... This track is a well engineered for safety, but, make no mistake, this is a big boy F1 track
I am no expert here, I've been on the track twice. The cost is in line with a national event, If your car is up to snuff for sustained wide open high gear driving, pull the trigger. JMHO

mach1
02-18-2017, 11:13 AM

Apples and oranges, NOLA cannot Compare with COTA.
Invite your friends and family, watch their response to having the run of the F1 paddock and getting close to the cars at COTA.

I agree, that's why I followed with the next sentence. (NOLA is nice, COTA is nicer)

COTA is 500/day to get on track minimum in any other venue.

Some are less per day if you do 3 days but consider this.
Chin for example is $500/day for 210 mins of track time per day.
In this case we are looking at 80 mins for $600

$7.5/min vs $2.38/min

I am simply pointing out to everyone that says they will only do this once that the prices may drop in the future. NASA obviously has higher op expenses than Chin in this example, staff, dinner, etc.

$250k net profit?

I don't know diddly shit about insurance, required track crew, concessions, etc....

Avoid hitting anything....... This track is a well engineered for safety, but, make no mistake, this is a big boy F1 track
I am no expert here, I've been on the track twice. The cost is in line with a national event, If your car is up to snuff for sustained wide open high gear driving, pull the trigger. JMHO
My point here was that the fact that this is such a safe place makes it worth the money, exactly, don't hit anything, but if you do, you will be glad you did it at COTA.

dtanker65
02-18-2017, 07:43 PM
I enjoy the discussion Tyler. I guess my point of view is that I would like to compete at the national level eventually and having to travel to one of the coasts to be competitive on a pre-lawyer pro track, against the local guys that run there every month, is going to be a pretty tough proposition without a serious financial commitment.

If COTA is the success I expect it will be, I would like to start talking about a variation of Aaron's sentiment. Instead of East and West nationals, we would have East, West and Central semi-finals with a single championship race for the top semi finishers.

Suck fumes
02-18-2017, 09:36 PM
that would make it a REAL national championship!

mach1
02-19-2017, 12:15 AM
I enjoy the discussion Tyler. I guess my point of view is that I would like to compete at the national level eventually and having to travel to one of the coasts to be competitive on a pre-lawyer pro track, against the local guys that run there every month, is going to be a pretty tough proposition without a serious financial commitment.

If COTA is the success I expect it will be, I would like to start talking about a variation of Aaron's sentiment. Instead of East and West nationals, we would have East, West and Central semi-finals with a single championship race for the top semi finishers.

For sure, Nat's at COTA would be great.

JMR81
02-20-2017, 12:48 PM
So I was just looking at that other racing organization page for their Majors event at COTA. Some differences in the events. No test day.
2 hour and 10min of completion time per class over 3 days includes practice, qualifying, and racing. $875.00 entry fee $950.00 day o the race. $1400.00 per garage for 3days.

nasawill
02-20-2017, 05:29 PM
Great discussion folks! I know the $$$ is a huge determining factor and I'm so happy that some of y'all are even willing to give it a go. My goal is to put on an event so good that people look forward to it every year. The pricing model will become clear when you guys see the schedule and some more communication from the region in the near future.

-WF

Suck fumes
02-21-2017, 09:16 AM
Yeah I feel ya, might be a one time deal for me too. I paid $850 for COTA a few years ago, this was for 3 days, Friday/Sat/Sun.

Hopefully once that dies down the costs will come down a bit but not significantly unless they drop the track rental price.

My math is fuzzy here but I figure group limit of 50 cars, 7 groups, 350 people.
$420k

Figure 1/2 that many people for the TnT, another $100k.

$250k net profit? Maybe we will see reg drop a bit in the future if these numbers are remotely correct.

Hard to put a price on that kind of safety. The "damage" costs are initially off putting, but if you consider a few grand in damage vs a 100k hospital bill + pain and suffering, it's a damn deal.

In the meantime, I am going to call my guy in Columbia and have him ship me some bricks so I can make this happen :)

a few yrs back they had an 80 car limit on track at the same time.

Fbody383
02-21-2017, 01:30 PM
I know the $$$ is a huge determining factor and I'm so happy that some of y'all are even willing to give it a go. And has to be some demand for a National event there.

ShadowBolt
02-21-2017, 02:14 PM
Great discussion folks! I know the $$$ is a huge determining factor and I'm so happy that some of y'all are even willing to give it a go. My goal is to put on an event so good that people look forward to it every year. The pricing model will become clear when you guys see the schedule and some more communication from the region in the near future.

-WF

I look forward to running at COTA but it's hard to swallow over three times a normal even cost. I know that is not NASA Texas fault but at some point you must think about value. It's had to justify paying more to run one event than to run three.

JJ

AllZWay
02-22-2017, 01:52 PM
I look forward to running at COTA but it's hard to swallow over three times a normal even cost. I know that is not NASA Texas fault but at some point you must think about value. It's had to justify paying more to run one event than to run three.

JJ

No kidding.. I probably would have ran it once for the cool factor, but it is really hard to justify the outrageous cost.

rleng1
02-22-2017, 06:30 PM
I'll just wait for Jerry's mandatory in-car camera, as the 24 passes him.

ShadowBolt
02-22-2017, 06:57 PM
I'll just wait for Jerry's mandatory in-car camera, as the 24 passes him.

Randy please lay off the Colorado weed my man. Your trippin.

JJ

Pranav
02-23-2017, 12:25 PM
I'm going to make sure I'm in front of the computer at noon to register just in case there is a huge rush. I can grab a garage.

Did we want to coordinate on who gets a garage? So far from this thread I see:

Mosty
Team Jordan
Leinart
Mark

Patel
Jander
Gardner
Records

Tanker
McSpadden?

Who else?

dtanker65
02-23-2017, 02:03 PM
I am going to be in front of the computer too. I figure the entry slots will go quick based on what Aaron said. Any idea about the garages though? There a lot of them, I would definitely like a 1/4 share in our group.

Alien
02-23-2017, 06:25 PM
This will probably the only event I make this year. I'm open to splitting a garage, if not I'm good camping out under an EZ-up.

marshall_mosty
02-23-2017, 10:09 PM
Only one person needs to register for a garage ($500) and then will need to "rent" the other spaces out to whomever they choose. I'm covering the garage I'm in, so there is no need for Jerry, Brian, and Mark to do anything garage related at registration.

dtanker65
02-23-2017, 10:21 PM
I am good registering for one, but I'm a bit confused, is it $500 for the event or per day?

nasawill
02-24-2017, 12:56 AM
I am good registering for one, but I'm a bit confused, is it $500 for the event or per day?

$500 for the whole weekend. All other racing orgs are charging $500/day for these. I know it's expensive, but let this be proof we're not trying to beat anybody up on pricing, I'm trying to put on a sustainable event for us to enjoy at the US F1 track year after year.

You'll also notice our schedule has twice the amount of track time as the event one month before us. I didn't think any of our regulars would be interested in $800 for 5 sessions over 3 days with no test day.

PS I've been a budget racer my entire life and I do think and very much care about my fellow budget drivers.

#byaracerfortheracers :)

Thanks for the support everybody.

ShadowBolt
02-24-2017, 09:07 AM
$500 for the whole weekend. All other racing orgs are charging $500/day for these. I know it's expensive, but let this be proof we're not trying to beat anybody up on pricing, I'm trying to put on a sustainable event for us to enjoy at the US F1 track year after year.

You'll also notice our schedule has twice the amount of track time as the event one month before us. I didn't think any of our regulars would be interested in $800 for 5 sessions over 3 days with no test day.

PS I've been a budget racer my entire life and I do think and very much care about my fellow budget drivers.

#byaracerfortheracers :)

Thanks for the support everybody.

Will I don't see a big difference. You said another group got five sessions for $800.00. I see us paying $1200.00 for three races and two qual sessions.

I'm glad you secured COTA for us but my guess is that very few of us will be willing to pay this kind of money year after year. Now you may not need us budget racers and you may sell out every year. I hope after we run that we all think it's worth twice what we are going to pay but I'm not holding my breath.

JJ

JMR81
02-24-2017, 09:36 AM

Where is this schedule posted?

Mason
02-24-2017, 10:24 AM

Dennis,

I am good to split a garage with you, sounds like Gary is up for a share as well.

I will be in front of a screen a noon; I can rent the garage if you like.

Pranav
02-24-2017, 11:17 AM

Where is this schedule posted?

Schedule here:

https://nasaproracing.com/events/2531

https://nasatx.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/May-2017-COTA_Schedule-Tentative.pdf

rleng1
02-24-2017, 12:27 PM
Can anyone explain to me why TT and HPDE get 4 sessions a day of 95 minutes, and racers get 3 sessions a day of 75 minutes?

Mason
02-24-2017, 01:07 PM
Registered right at noon, got into AI, but was not able to get a garage. Hopefully others had better luck and I am up to split a space.

Alien
02-24-2017, 01:07 PM
Registered. And yeah, I'm good in pitching in for a garage spot with y'all, Mason & Dennis & whoever.

*edited* N/M about the garage then! lol Probably one guy bought them all and will rent them at twice the cost.

Pranav
02-24-2017, 01:11 PM
I got on the page at 12:00:01 and added the garage and event entry to my cart, but for some reason they were both added TWICE, so I deleted the duplicates, then it got stuck at the emergency contact screen and wouldn't let me go through. I go back to my cart again and see the garage was removed and I had two $3.98 entry fees, and still was getting stuck on the emergency contact screen.

In the end i had to clear my cart and start over, losing my garage in the process.

Pranav
02-24-2017, 01:12 PM
Will, if anyone registered for a garage without signing up for an entry fee give them a swift kick in the nuts for me.

dtanker65
02-24-2017, 01:13 PM
I wasn't able to get a garage either, they sold out in 30 seconds. I am looking for a spot too if anybody was able to get one.

MikeP99Z
02-24-2017, 01:14 PM
Stuff is going fast! Giddy 'up, sign up!

ShadowBolt
02-24-2017, 01:15 PM
Can anyone explain to me why TT and HPDE get 4 sessions a day of 95 minutes, and racers get 3 sessions a day of 75 minutes?

I'm with you Randy. I thought NASA was a racing organization but I guess HPDE and TT pays the bill.

JJ

RichardP
02-24-2017, 01:18 PM
Team Red Shift in with three CMC cars, a couple of HPDE cars, and a garage...

Richard

Mason
02-24-2017, 01:18 PM
Similar experience here; had the garage in the cart, got hung up at the Emergency Contact screen for a bit, until i got the message that they were sold out. Oh well...

MikeP99Z
02-24-2017, 01:37 PM
That's a very tentative schedule. It will likely change. We have to see how entries go, and still sorting some details with the track.

marshall_mosty
02-24-2017, 01:54 PM
I've started a new thread... go there.
Garages are gone..

ShadowBolt
02-24-2017, 02:16 PM
I got online at exactly noon and it would not let me in. At 12:01 I got in but I was having trouble at the same place as you guys. Kept telling me to use the back button. I tried several times but no soap. Since I'm not a computer guy I left the site and then came back in. Worked perfect. I did not try to get a garage since Marshall was doing it for us.

JJ

BryanL
02-24-2017, 03:27 PM
I'm with you Randy. I thought NASA was a racing organization but I guess HPDE and TT pays the bill.

JJ

It's pretty obvious it is turning into a DE organization. Isn't that what happened in CA with DE only weekends. The DE guys get 33% more track time than the racers for the same amount of money on Sat/Sun and 9% more time on Friday. Obviously one should sign up for the practice as a DE. But I'm still trying to figure out why there is a DE practice day? I don't think DE cars were allowed on Fridays when I started with NASA.
We should all just sign up for TT and have someone on the infield drop a green flag to have 4 races a day.
I may just sign up for the DE on Friday so I can say I have run my race car at COTA and then break some of their consumption and impaired rules the rest of Memorial Day or head to a beach.

rleng1
02-24-2017, 04:37 PM
Simple solution would be to replace the TT/HPDE 1&2/HPDE 3&4, on Sunday with Cyclone, Blitz, and Thunder races.
Then you have each run group with 4 sessions and 95 minutes one day, and 3 sessions with 75 minutes the other day.

dtanker65
02-24-2017, 05:48 PM
BL you will change your mind about that once you get out there. This is not for everybody, but I usually meet a DE type person when testing that has lots of questions about the racecar and I have friends with very nice DE type street/track cars that are collecting dust because they don't come close to the thrill of driving a race car.

I can't imagine a guy off of the street seeing a Thunder race and thinking yeah I could do that, but figure 10% of DE drivers won't be satisfied with DE/TT. I do think having tidy well turned out cars and minimal racing contact are important to attract new racers.

I like ponycars myself, but keep an eye on the Autobahn group and Spec E36.

Rsmith350
02-28-2017, 05:07 PM
I saw the price and was surprised. It would definitely be fun to race and I probably would pay up for it once also, but an event 3x times as much as others seems out of line.
How about we both go, split the cost, we both can drive and you help me with car setup?

AllZWay
03-01-2017, 02:59 PM
How about we both go, split the cost, we both can drive and you help me with car setup?

Oh man nice offer.. and would love to. We already have family vacation plans that weekend.

Rsmith350
03-01-2017, 03:08 PM
oh well. Had to ask!