PDA

View Full Version : Helmet Suggestions

BryanL
02-28-2017, 04:26 PM
So if I run at Cresson next weekend I will need a new helmet. I searched as I thought there was some helmet discussion. Anyone have a recommendation on the new 2015 stuff?

Fbody383
02-28-2017, 04:54 PM
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B016AAP6IE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

ONLY concern... since it was brand new I had a little trouble getting my glasses on.

This is the make/model I had before and was super happy with it. At the Houston race I had zero fit issues after essentially replacing the old one.

dtanker65
02-28-2017, 07:50 PM
I'm superstitious, I have always used Bell. The next one will have a cooling fitting on top.
Smiley's Racing in Mesquite stocks quite a few different manufacturers.

rleng1
02-28-2017, 08:41 PM
bought this last fall. Very comfortable, and has plenty of air vents. attachments can be installed for forced air.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Zamp-Helmets/970/H743C39L/10002/-1

Supercharged111
02-28-2017, 10:11 PM
I run an El cheapo Bell 2010 helmet. I'd like to hear what you all have to say about tinted visors.

Casey_SS
02-28-2017, 11:34 PM
I got this one before the start of last season and am quite happy with it...super light compared to my old one and has all the features I care about except a blower port which I'd probably only use at Hallett. I don't remember where I ordered it from but it was <$300 shortly after the 2015's hit the shelves. It's a 2010 cert but I have absolutely no desire to use the same helmet for 10 years. I got 5 years out of my old one and that was 1-2 years too long....

http://www.gforce.com/products/helmets/3028.php

Casey_SS
02-28-2017, 11:41 PM
I run an El cheapo Bell 2010 helmet. I'd like to hear what you all have to say about tinted visors.

Tried it and found it was only right for me once, maybe twice a day. I could never remember to change back and forth between rounds so I just stuck a pair of sunglasses in the car and called the problem solved.

ShadowBolt
03-01-2017, 10:53 AM
We bought one of these for Jay for Christmas. It is not heavy at all and I think Jay said it is very comfortable.

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productselection.asp?Product=RQP273-S15

JJ

marshall_mosty
03-01-2017, 11:39 AM
This is the one I use. So far, so good... $199 shipped

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/SPEEDWAY-RACE-HELMET-SA15,229861.html

BryanL
03-01-2017, 01:32 PM
Appreciate the info guys. Now if there was only a Helmet Locker down the street that I could go try all of them on. Does anyone know if there are any real benefits to one over another from a safety standpoint? Basically wondering if any provide better safety than the next since they are all SA2015 rated.

Suck fumes
03-01-2017, 02:14 PM
The price is determined by what the helmet is made of (composite or carbon fiber), the weight, and how many luxuries are on it. Personally I have always bought Bell helmets but my most recent one I got a few yrs ago I was kind of disappointed with the quality of it. Come to find out they moved their operations to china! Explains everything haha. Next helmet I get will be black armor. Cheapest lightweight carbon helmet on the market and can come with all u need. Having seen the strength of carbon recently I think in my opinion the carbon helmets would hold up better in a big crash.

Just have to ask yourself what your head is worth??

JMR81
03-01-2017, 05:23 PM
Stilo, worth every penny

dtanker65
03-01-2017, 07:54 PM
I did hear the Stilo has good audio options as well. My El Cheapo ear buds are useless at full throttle. I figure the helmet is a one time use item of gear that I hope I won't need and that any one conforming to the specification is probably okay. The G Force equipment I have used has been of good quality.

mach1
03-01-2017, 08:03 PM
Stilo, worth every penny

Agreed

JMR81
03-01-2017, 08:43 PM
One thing I refuse to Cheap out on is safety equipment. The old saying goes "if you have $100.00 head put it in a $100.00 helmet". Its that one time you need it that will pay a dividend in the long run .Dale Junior is a perfect example, despite the best equipment he will still be affected for the rest of his life. To many others are depending on you, don't take that risk to save a few dollars. Just my $.02 cents. Personal experience, I was knocked off my bicycle by a soccer mom in an suv. I was wearing my helmet. I was out of work for 18mo. Every year I have to jump through a hoop with the FAA to receive my medical so I can continue to fly.

GlennCMC70
03-01-2017, 08:55 PM
Love my Bell I got a couple years back.
Try on differnt brands. They dont all fit the same.

dtanker65
03-01-2017, 09:07 PM
I agree completely Tam. My training has been to get the best safety equipment possible for the driver, design the cockpit for safety and eliminate any lethal extrusions. Despite any chagrin I may feel when having a design deficiency pointed out on the car, I am always grateful for the feedback during the annual safety inspection.

ShadowBolt
03-02-2017, 08:42 AM
One thing I refuse to Cheap out on is safety equipment. The old saying goes "if you have $100.00 head put it in a $100.00 helmet". Its that one time you need it that will pay a dividend in the long run .Dale Junior is a perfect example, despite the best equipment he will still be affected for the rest of his life. To many others are depending on you, don't take that risk to save a few dollars. Just my $.02 cents. Personal experience, I was knocked off my bicycle by a soccer mom in an suv. I was wearing my helmet. I was out of work for 18mo. Every year I have to jump through a hoop with the FAA to receive my medical so I can continue to fly.

I agree with the above statement if purchasing the most expensive helmet is really safer. Can anyone tell me there is a safety difference in a $200.00 helmet and a $3500.00 helmet? If so why don't we all spend $3500.00 for a Arai? Is there anyone that test all or some of the racing helmets where we could see what the higher dollar helmets do different than the low buck units do? Unless the people that say "if you have $100.00 head put it in a $100.00 helmet" are all buying the most expensive helmet they can buy they are still making a decision on what to purchase based on price. I'm going to see if I can find anything on the web about this.

JJ

RichardP
03-02-2017, 09:27 AM
I agree with the above statement if purchasing the most expensive helmet is really safer.

A more expensive helmet can certainly be safer... in the street motorcycle world or if you are looking for something for motorcross or ATV use. There are helmets available that meet different standards and you should choose the appropriate one.

In the closed car racing world, not really. All helmets have to meet Snell SA2010 or SA2015, or FIA 8859-2015, FIA 8860-2010, FIA 8858-2010 standards. These are tough standards to meet. In fact, there are arguments that the standards are too tough. More is not better in this realm. The Snell standard has the helmets tested at an impact energy that is very likely to cause a traumatic brain injury. Designing the helmet for such high impacts means the helmet isn't as good at protecting for smaller impacts that are more likely. The argument is that people are getting hurt by minor hits because the helmet is trying to protect against something that probably isn't survivable. I don't know as much about the FIA standards.

One aspect that can help with safety is helmet weight. A lighter helmet is going to put less load on your neck when you are getting thrashed around. This is less of an issue now that HANS devices are required.

Correct helmet fit is still important for comfort and safety.

Richard P.

AllZWay
03-02-2017, 09:46 AM
A more expensive helmet can certainly be safer... in the street motorcycle world or if you are looking for something for motorcross or ATV use. There are helmets available that meet different standards and you should choose the appropriate one.

In the closed car racing world, not really. All helmets have to meet Snell SA2010 or SA2015, or FIA 8859-2015, FIA 8860-2010, FIA 8858-2010 standards. These are tough standards to meet. In fact, there are arguments that the standards are too tough. More is not better in this realm. The Snell standard has the helmets tested at an impact energy that is very likely to cause a traumatic brain injury. Designing the helmet for such high impacts means the helmet isn't as good at protecting for smaller impacts that are more likely. The argument is that people are getting hurt by minor hits because the helmet is trying to protect against something that probably isn't survivable. I don't know as much about the FIA standards.

One aspect that can help with safety is helmet weight. A lighter helmet is going to put less load on your neck when you are getting thrashed around. This is less of an issue now that HANS devices are required.

Correct helmet fit is still important for comfort and safety.

Richard P.

I agree with this... I bet there is little difference in overall safety between a $200 helmet and $3500 helmet, but the difference is in weight, and fit and comfort... and your personal level of comfort with such helmet.

mach1
03-02-2017, 10:07 AM
Fun fact, my composite stilo is lighter than a carbon black armor helmet.

Suck fumes
03-02-2017, 10:21 AM
also double the price. but stilo is pretty amazing!

blk96gt
03-02-2017, 01:26 PM
I've got a Black Armor helmet and really like it. Way more comfortable than the G-Force helmet I had before.

dtanker65
03-02-2017, 02:19 PM
:D
I agree with the above statement if purchasing the most expensive helmet is really safer. Can anyone tell me there is a safety difference in a $200.00 helmet and a $3500.00 helmet?

JJ

I want the helmet to crack before my noggin. Don't want people sayin, "yeah he's a mort, but the helmet held up good". I approach safety with the goal of decelerating the impact to the driver (crush zones), let the car and safety gear slow down the event. I "assume" but don't know that the SFI rating is derived from destructive G testing and light weight is in line with the Hans technology

Aviation structural composites haven't been around long enough to gather good life data yet, but it is known that UV is destructive. When the approved inspection procedure for plastic airplanes is to tap on them with a nickel looking for "dead spots" I'd rather ride on a Boeing and suffer the mileage penalty. Helmet is a disposable item. The $3500 helmet might pay off if you are really good looking though.......

ShadowBolt
03-02-2017, 02:50 PM
:D

I want the helmet to crack before my noggin. Don't want people sayin, "yeah he's a mort, but the helmet held up good". I approach safety with the goal of decelerating the impact to the driver (crush zones), let the car and safety gear slow down the event. I "assume" but don't know that the SFI rating is derived from destructive G testing and light weight is in line with the Hans technology

Aviation structural composites haven't been around long enough to gather good life data yet, but it is known that UV is destructive. When the approved inspection procedure for plastic airplanes is to tap on them with a nickel looking for "dead spots" I'd rather ride on a Boeing and suffer the mileage penalty. Helmet is a disposable item. The $3500 helmet might pay off if you are really good looking though.......

Think about the Cirrus SR22 sitting on the ramp month after month year and year. I'm sure most are in hangers since most are so new but who knows in twenty years. I used to regularly fly a 1946 Cub and a 1946 Champ almost every week. Never worried about flying a sixty five year old plane. I'm not sure about the "fast glass" units six decades from now. Guess it will not be my problem since I will not be around but......

JJ

marshall_mosty
03-02-2017, 03:36 PM
Think about the Cirrus SR22 sitting on the ramp month after month year and year. I'm sure most are in hangers since most are so new but who knows in twenty years. I used to regularly fly a 1946 Cub and a 1946 Champ almost every week. Never worried about flying a sixty five year old plane. I'm not sure about the "fast glass" units six decades from now. Guess it will not be my problem since I will not be around but......
JJ

The Boeing 787 (primarily composite by weight) body modules are delivered to Boeing for final assembly pre-painted (white) and the windows are covered until they have interior panels installed to keep the UV light off the composite surfaces.

RichardP
03-02-2017, 03:44 PM
I agree. You shouldn't leave your unpainted helmet outside for decades...

The interior energy absorbing foam is more sensitive to the elements than the outside shell. Storing your helmet inside your hot, enclosed trailer, for example, isn't the best idea.

Richard P.

nasawill
03-02-2017, 04:23 PM
I agree with the above statement if purchasing the most expensive helmet is really safer. Can anyone tell me there is a safety difference in a $200.00 helmet and a $3500.00 helmet? If so why don't we all spend $3500.00 for a Arai? Is there anyone that test all or some of the racing helmets where we could see what the higher dollar helmets do different than the low buck units do? Unless the people that say "if you have $100.00 head put it in a $100.00 helmet" are all buying the most expensive helmet they can buy they are still making a decision on what to purchase based on price. I'm going to see if I can find anything on the web about this.

JJ

If two helmets meets a certain standard, a helmet company (or salesman for that matter) cannot legally say any one is safer than another. What you're paying for is weight savings, quality of build, and options. One could argue that lighter means less chance of a neck injury and less fatigue through a weekend.

I had a Zamp on during my crash at NOLA last year. It's basically a copy of a bell with cheaper quality finish. It did it's job. Foam dented around the hard point of impact where my head hit the top/ground in the rollover. (you read that right, I didn't have my lap belts tight enough so I actually bonked the ground, shame on me) Since it was 'totaled' from this, I opted to get a carbon Stilo and can't imagine ever using something else now. The comfort is above and beyond any other helmet I've had. Stilo will condition the removable interior so it doesn't get nasty or too tore up over the course of ~10 years. All the options are available for air, water, and coms.

The Stilo coms are one of the best selling points. The ear muffs over the ears instead of earbuds are amazing. No more nasty buds, rushing to put them in when the 5 minutes on grid comes, or comfort issues with a bud wiggling out. Just throw the helmet on and the speakers are over your ear. And the sound quality is perfect.

Definitely try on different helmets. Not all brands have the same fitment.

Stilo highly recommended. $200/year (~$2k and good for ~10 years) is cheap for something built as quality, comfortable, convenient, and as important as it is.

dtanker65
03-02-2017, 05:30 PM
I did my initial spin training in a 1946 Cessna 120, but the 20 mph over Vne recovery kinda dampened my enthusiasm for that type of behavior in a 1946 Model. One of the guys asked a Bearcat driver a while ago at OSH how fast it would go and he replied "as slow as possible because, I have to fix whatever I break"

drecords
03-03-2017, 09:42 AM
I've had a G-Force for years, and just bought another one to be SA2015 compliant. No complaints... I'm afraid if I try on one of the more expensive helmets I'll like it. Slippery slope this sport is...

BryanL
03-03-2017, 11:12 AM
Great stuff-only veered a little of course into airplanes and got lost. Haven't had any issues with my G force other than getting old but I'm used to that hanging around Jerry. Several new manufacturers that I had never heard of but from a safety perspective doesn't seem like you can quantify much past SA2015.
I like what Richard said and tend to agree that in my car I believe I'm more likely to have smaller impacts with my containment seat on the sides of my head than anything. Some incident beyond that I'm likely a vegatable not matter what helmet I'm wearing. Comfort and fit appears to be most important part and then features. Weight could be a factor but no clue how a 2-3 oz difference impacts when there is 3,300 lbs of car/driver to stop. I don't have a pit crew so don't need sound unless there was a way to get a full race broadcast which I would like to alert to wrecks/yellows, etc. A drink tube might be nice to add some XXXX Gold for the last race of the day.

After thinking about my safety setup I need to incorporate wearing my shield down and a balaclava. The issues have been fogging up the shield and/or fogging up my sunglasses I wear. So I'm going to look into that to guide me (I think)-if a helmet helps me incorporate that then it's certainly worth say the extra $500.

marshall_mosty
03-03-2017, 12:05 PM
I use anti-fog gel on the inside of my visor before each event and it works well that way. But it does need to be reapplied at the beginning of each event.

dtanker65
03-03-2017, 02:59 PM
Great stuff-only veered a little of course into airplanes and got lost.
Some incident beyond that I'm likely a vegatable not matter what helmet I'm wearing. Comfort and fit appears to be most important part and then features.

Can't talk about race cars with without talking about aircraft, they have more in common than with street cars. Once the genius of Burt Rutan was unleashed, composite technology has exploded. Aircraft are light and strong, but not too strong. Any repair to an aircraft has to match the original design load so as not to overload the adjacent structure. Same as a helmet, carbon fiber is incredibly strong so it should be thin as possible so it fails before the adjacent structure (my noggin) light weight is serendipitous benefit.

BL the hit you took in my first race scared me. I have had issue with NASCAR door bars being built all the way out to the door skin, because any impact is transmitted immediately to the driver in a fixed seat. The same principal applies there as with helmets. The very expensive FIA seats without back braces address this with the right balance of rigidity and compliance in impact, but a short life being composite. NASCAR started using a piece of super high density foam molded between the door skin and door bars about 2" thick. I compromised by angling the door bar down and in in order to let the rocker panel absorb some of the impact in a hit like you took. Trauma to the brain or tearing the aorta are the primary risks we face. I heard NASA was going to require that James Bond beach ball thing on the cars next year.

Comfort is the main consideration with helmets, yes on balaclavas to protect your neck and consider running Scat tubing over any fuel lines running through the cockpit or trunk. Fuel cell cars should have the trunk completely isolated from the cockpit with steel. Cracking the visor will help with the fogging and I try to not clean the visor too much to keep from spoiling the optics. Tinted lens is good for most sunny days but clear and good sunglasses is pretty effective too. I think any certified helmet is safe and dude, radios and a spotter are AWESOME. Great tip on helmet storage Richard, now we will all be forgetting them at home :-) Just my .02

Jeez I gotta find more work, oh wait I have a race car

Pranav
03-03-2017, 03:22 PM
I've found the helmet blower fixed my helmet fogging problem permanently.

ShadowBolt
03-03-2017, 04:21 PM
I've found the helmet blower fixed my helmet fogging problem permanently.

Who is the helmet blower?

JJ

dtanker65
03-03-2017, 09:00 PM
I think the original question was what time is it?.......

39PitCrew
03-04-2017, 02:25 PM
Who is the helmet blower?

JJ