PDA

View Full Version : Wipers: Delete or Keep?

Supercharged111
04-02-2017, 10:10 AM
My car came with the wiper motor and stuff intact, but the harness chopped. I'm at a cross roads, to wire it up or throw it away and save a few lb? Here in the RM region, I just rain X most every morning and don't have any issues, but we don't get the rain like you Texans and I may not be able to stay here much longer (and I intend to run nats at some point) so I'd rather have the car set for anything. What's the consensus on wipers from you guys? Are they worth a shit over 100mph? Is Rain X all I really need?

ShadowBolt
04-02-2017, 05:20 PM
I run just the drivers side and it does help.

JJ

michaelmosty
04-03-2017, 08:19 AM
I originally took mine off back many years ago when I was in the crazy weight savings mode. I realized the 10 lb difference was not worth it to me and have had them back on for the last 5+ years.

IMO if you really think the 10 lbs will make a difference, you better be the guy coming off the track only 10 lbs over, haha.

Rob Liebbe
04-03-2017, 09:10 AM
Wire it up with a dis-connectable harness, make them work, take them off and throw them in a box. Watch the weather forecast.

That being said, I've always left mine in the car and have enjoyed them when I need them.

marshall_mosty
04-03-2017, 11:14 AM
I have mine in the car still. I just run the driver's side wiper. I just throw it on if it's actually raining right before we go to grid.

Supercharged111
04-03-2017, 11:24 AM
I'd like to drop 10#, bUT not at the expense of function. Can you guys clarify how the wipers help vs Rain X alone? I'VE never had wipers functioning in the red dragon.

BryanL
04-03-2017, 03:11 PM
I think they help as the white car has wipers and I know I have used them. My question is whether rain tires are worth it? I have two rain tires and debating getting two more with my toyo money or get rid of the two so I have fewer tires/wheels around.

Wade
04-03-2017, 04:01 PM
+1 for wipers. My first car did not have them. I added them to the second car and did not regret it. I had them wired to a simple on/off switch. You don't need delay, intermittent, etc. Just FAST and off.

Rob Liebbe
04-03-2017, 04:10 PM
RainX won't get rid of mist. The water must have some profile before the wind will push it up the window.

Al Fernandez
04-03-2017, 04:43 PM
Pro cars run wipers

Pranav
04-03-2017, 04:59 PM
I think they help as the white car has wipers and I know I have used them. My question is whether rain tires are worth it? I have two rain tires and debating getting two more with my toyo money or get rid of the two so I have fewer tires/wheels around.

They're not worth it, get rid of them to me so I only have to buy two.

drecords
04-03-2017, 06:20 PM
This thread reminds me I need a new wiper blade.

Supercharged111
04-03-2017, 08:05 PM
Do you guys need to run deflectors or something to keep them planted? I swear they lift off the windshield of my truck over 80.

Den34
04-04-2017, 10:58 AM
Here is a simple test to see if you need wipers. Put rainX on your daily driver. Then on a rainy day follow a semi on the freeway and get up into the spray coming off the truck. Then shut off your wipers and see how well rainx works......
Bob

...keep your wipers

Pranav
04-04-2017, 11:03 AM
Has anyone looking into air blowers instead of wipers? This air pump for my helmet blower is pretty light, cheap, and moves a decent amount of air. I figure if I got a two and had them pipe into both ends of molded hose along the base of the windshield with small slits along to let air escape at higher velocity...

Rob Liebbe
04-04-2017, 05:15 PM
Has anyone looking into air blowers instead of wipers? This air pump for my helmet blower is pretty light, cheap, and moves a decent amount of air. I figure if I got a two and had them pipe into both ends of molded hose along the base of the windshield with small slits along to let air escape at higher velocity...

Seems like that relatively small amount of air would be overwhelmed by the airflow over a vehicle. But then, not everybody believed in the Wright brothers.

Fbody383
04-04-2017, 06:10 PM
Has anyone looking into air blowers instead of wipers? This air pump for my helmet blower is pretty light, cheap, and moves a decent amount of air. I figure if I got a two and had them pipe into both ends of molded hose along the base of the windshield with small slits along to let air escape at higher velocity... Under what section of the CMC rules is that allowed by? I think I agree with Rob the mass of overall airflow would overwhelm your helmet blower.

Pranav
04-04-2017, 06:29 PM
Under what section of the CMC rules is that allowed by? I think I agree with Rob the mass of overall airflow would overwhelm your helmet blower.

I guess that kills my idea

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/52f7a61be4b0374e6a0a7146/t/5495947fe4b0efb497e550e8/1419089024995/chaparral_2j_zpsbc20c59b.jpg?format=750w

Supercharged111
04-05-2017, 01:13 PM
I got it that the overwhelping concensus is to wire them up and make them work, but do you 4th gen guys have issues with wipers floating at speed? I don't even have wiper arms or a switch right now, but I'm more inclined to hook up a factory stalk to keep intermittent ad well.

ShadowBolt
04-05-2017, 02:17 PM
I got it that the overwhelping concensus is to wire them up and make them work, but do you 4th gen guys have issues with wipers floating at speed? I don't even have wiper arms or a switch right now, but I'm more inclined to hook up a factory stalk to keep intermittent ad well.

I have the factory set-up still on my car but never use anything but high speed.

JJ

Supercharged111
04-05-2017, 09:58 PM
Knowing that, I'd still feel like I halfassed the job by putting it on a switch when there's a clean factory option one junkyard pull away. Actually, I think Barney still has what I need. I'm one of those sick individuals who actually enjoys wiring stuff up.

Fbody383
04-06-2017, 11:47 AM
Knowing that, I'd still feel like I halfassed the job by putting it on a switch when there's a clean factory option one junkyard pull away. Actually, I think Barney still has what I need. I'm one of those sick individuals who actually enjoys wiring stuff up. If not let me know... we have a fire-ro and cam-bird on the driveway we're going to pull apart anyway.

Den34
04-06-2017, 01:58 PM
Dustin

On GM cars the easiest thing to do to wire the wipers is trace all the wires from the wiper motor back to the connector under the dash. This connector then goes to the steering column and up to the switch on the stalk. All the electronics for the wiper function are in the stalk switch. The delay, park and multiple speed functions are all there. The only thing you need to do to make it work is provide power to the yellow wire on on the connector that goes to the column. You will also need to ground the black wire. That is it nothing else is needed and the system will stand alone.
I removed the stalk switch from my column and mounted it on the dash and just have it sticking out where the radio used to be. I have all the functions of the normal wiper setup.
Bob

MikeP99Z
04-07-2017, 09:00 AM

No issues, factory setup, stalk, no deflectors.

Al Fernandez
04-07-2017, 01:39 PM
I can attest that at about 5300rpm in 5th the 4th gen OE wiper motor doesn't have enough power to overcome the wind, so the wiper glides (fast) to the vertical position and then sort of flutters there. Below that speed I've never had a problem.

Supercharged111
04-07-2017, 09:15 PM
I can attest that at about 5300rpm in 5th the 4th gen OE wiper motor doesn't have enough power to overcome the wind, so the wiper glides (fast) to the vertical position and then sort of flutters there. Below that speed I've never had a problem.

What rear end? I too lack a speedometer.

Al Fernandez
04-12-2017, 01:45 PM