PDA

View Full Version : Ft. Worth Mechanic Recommendation

Rob Liebbe
05-18-2017, 08:16 AM
I'm looking for a good mechanic in Fort Worth, south side preferred.

My mother-in-law has a 2006 Saturn Ion coupe that is repeatedly losing all electrical power while driving. The car loses everything electrical; engine, steering, lights, door locks, radio, etc and does so suddenly and with no warning lights on the dash. The check engine light is not on but there is one historic code, U0101 - TCM loss of communication. The issue is intermittent and can happen as many as eight times a day or can go for several days without occurring. The car will always restart after waiting a few minutes. I suspect a bad battery/cable connection, bad ground at engine or chassis, corrosion in one of the main connectors at the PCM, TCM or BCM, possibly the ignition switch or factory anti-theft system.

I need a good shop who will do a thorough job and not just throw his hands up because there is no consistent code.

Thanks for the help

Rob Liebbe
281-413-1948

BryanL
05-18-2017, 01:32 PM
Few things. Check to see if there is a recall on the ignition switch to at least have that replaced-I know you know about those issues. That is the Transmission Control Module. Take it to my old Aamco on Camp Bowie and I will call the owner to make sure it is checked out correctly and probably checked for free. Of course some of the basic things you suspect could certainly be the case. Good chance the Aamco will know the common causes for the code, too.
My bet is the ignition-ask her how many keys she has on her key chain or connected to the key. If she has lots of keys on the keychain or some heavy sort of junk attached then there is your cause and answer most likely.

Another guy I trusted back in FW was at Hays Automotive on 377 just south of the traffic circle. I have no idea if he is still there or if the shop is there since it's been 10 years since I sold the Aamco.