PDA

View Full Version : Hallett Grubbage / Paddock Crawl

Fbody383
06-12-2017, 07:04 PM
*UPDATE 2*
Team OIF well on the way to helping make another successful Hallett grub. We'll get there Thursday evening so we can chat everybody up about Saturday dinner. Brisket needs to go on around noon on Friday. Current Saturday night plan is brisket, chicken, and sausage. Midnight Ribs(tm) planned to be 12 racks - I'm sure we can make it work. There may be a need for some "other" heating/oven facilities if you are so inclined to offer. I expect we're making a Sam's/Costco run Thursday night rather than haul up drinks, and probably an ice run sometime Friday.

If you have any questions or comments, just speak up and we'll all make this thing extra awesome.

*UPDATE 1*
Current plan. Sean talked to Adrian and we'll give it a go for Saturday dinner crawl. We appreciate all the compliments - we cook what we like, glad you guys like it, and have a blast doing it.

Yes, we'll have 3 smokers and right now the issue may be Friday night dinner but with 3 I think we can swing it. Yes it will be busy but we'll make it work. We think NASA has the meat and some incidentals covered.

We should have in the neighborhood of 45lbs of brisket. Current plan is to have them done and resting around lunch so we could actually have ribs at dinner too to keep the barbarians at bay. Or sausage. Or roast chicken.

I figure we'll carve up brisket for us and set up some on a front table for The Wanderers.

Saturday Dinner/Crawl
OIF - 2 smokers / Rub 2.0(tm) / pellets / half-trays / foil / table(s) ...
Mosty - 1 smoker / Mosty-ffalo Chcken Dip
Wooten - 3 briskets - check.
Patterson - has offered some ribs to pay TTW with (don't buy yet)
Randy - famous AI/CMC Texas beans
Red Shift - margaritas, duh.
CaseySS - potato salad / bread / Tool Breaker 50 State Brownies(tm) / grilled veggies
Boudreaux - bring that gal-darn margarita machine
Leinart - green chili cream corn / nanner pudding
Martin(s) - Oh Yeah Cheesy Potatoes / bowls / plates / etc.
???? - cream corn / green beans / bread / cake
???? - plates / bowls / paper towels / plastic ware
???? - drinks / water / tea / lemonade / pitchers

Midnight Ribs(tm)
The legend returns. At this point we'll be able to do 12 racks with 3 or so already spoken for as ransom payment... If you have a preference let us know. We did the "usual" and some sweeter ones at TWS. Last year we did some in a dry style with a beer moisturizer.

More to come. WOO HOO! It's Hallett!

*Original Note*
Alright the time is upon us and with a twist.

THE Wooten has offered some brisket(s) which, of course, we are glad to cook.

Will has asked if we would be a stop on the NASA food tour. Sean and I have kicked it around and are cool as long as the group is. Here are some thoughts.

Friday - many will come in for Friday practice or arrive midday. We have talked about roasting some chickens for dinner, maybe come up with something for a side or two.

Saturday - we think the plan is two briskets for dinner, done a little before noon and resting quietly. Then perhaps some ribs, and maybe some sausages. Midnight Ribs(tm) will make the return as along as we think we have hungry folks to feed. If we cook up 36-40ish lbs of brisket we should have enough to go around, especially with some ribs and/or sausage and/or chicken.

At this point we'd have both smokers cooking full time so would need some additional oven support perhaps for sides. And some Mosty better bring that buffalo chicken dip thing...

What do you guys think? Don't mind helping out overall as long as we continue our fine traditions of too much Saturday night.

Questions? Comments? Requests?

rleng1
06-12-2017, 08:12 PM
I'll be there with Randy's beans, but I think we should leave it as it is. The crowd is getting larger by the year. And besides where else are we going to go. The best food and cool people are at Dave & Sean's.

Casey_SS
06-12-2017, 10:40 PM
Right on Dave. Wouldn't be a proper Hallett weekend without some brisket, midnight ribs, and too much Saturday night, as you so eloquently put it. :)
The kiddo's summer schedule has changed vs. the last couple years so Mindy and I will be there this time! Been too long and very much looking forward to it.

I can pledge oven support, a few sides, and a hot grill as needed. Let me know if I can contribute to the meat supply or coordinate on anything specific.

Wootten
06-13-2017, 08:37 AM
So i just need to know if you want two or three briskets...

ShadowBolt
06-13-2017, 10:56 AM
I'll be there with Randy's beans, but I think we should leave it as it is. The crowd is getting larger by the year. And besides where else are we going to go. The best food and cool people are at Dave & Sean's.

Last year I paid but did not eat with you guys. I really never figured the BBQ was all that good. Boy was I ever wrong! I had a small piece of brisket at TWS and it was damn good. As a guy that lives near Austin, Taylor and Lexington where the best BBQ in the world is sold I have become a BBQ snob. Boy was I wrong (a recurring theme) as David and Sean have this figured out. I don't have a dog in the fight (I do plan to pay and eat with you guys this year) but I think Randy is right about keeping it AICMC. You could get overrun if everyone at the track shows up with a plate.

JJ

Fbody383
06-13-2017, 05:19 PM
Hey guys, appreciate all the compliments. Thank you, it's our pleasure.

Wooten - 3 briskets please.

We'll be fine with the barbarians at the gate. We'll put the cars on the road to have more table room under the raceport and make it work. We'll have a table at the front to put stuff on for the wanderers.

See the updated first post. And thanks to the CMC11 for bringing/loaning a smoker to the cause. And Jander for offering up a standby.

rleng1
06-13-2017, 06:35 PM
The famous Ai/CMC Texas beans may have a Rocky Mtn flare. must show iD to indulge. Not responsible for being paranoid or sudden urge for cheetios.

Wootten
06-13-2017, 09:06 PM
3 Briskets...copy.

Casey_SS
06-13-2017, 09:50 PM
Dave - I reckon some potato salad, Mindy's badass bread, a batch of brownie's (minus Randy's Rocky Mtn flare), and mebbe some grilled calabacita squash or other veggies. Whatever looks particularly good that day at HEB.

BryanL
06-14-2017, 10:32 AM
Wife gets back in town tonight so I'll review with her as I will certainly contribute. I'm thinking a green chile cream corn dish but need to figure out how to cook/heat. I should have nanner pudding but wonder if it will last till sat night.

martinsntx
06-14-2017, 06:57 PM
Martins can bring plates, cups, and Angie's super cheesy potatoes!

Fbody383
06-15-2017, 12:00 PM
Updated first thread.

I'll do some shopping this weekend and update so we know what's left to buy.

Supercharged111
06-18-2017, 09:27 PM
Randy needs to smuggle me some leftovers.

WutApex
06-18-2017, 10:03 PM
Randy needs to smuggle me some leftovers.
No kiddin'....these Texas boys know how to do it! I may have to make it a must-attend for next year based off the menu alone. 8)

Fbody383
06-19-2017, 11:06 AM
No kiddin'....these Texas boys know how to do it! I may have to make it a must-attend for next year based off the menu alone. And what would be wrong with that???

marshall_mosty
06-19-2017, 12:53 PM
I'll bring two cakes.

Fbody383
06-19-2017, 01:16 PM
See *UPDATED* first post. Please.

(But give me a minute to get it done...)

Al Fernandez
06-19-2017, 03:16 PM
If you're making a sams/Costco run Thursday night I'm happy to put in money or go with you and help get whatever we need. I notice you say we still need plates, etc which is best sourced there. Dont know the value of tea etc when we ought to be drinking beer or bourbon...

Pranav
06-19-2017, 07:32 PM
I'm not sure what I can/should bring yet but I can take care of the plates/napkins/cups/silverware since I'm making a Walmart run tomorrow

Fbody383
06-20-2017, 11:41 AM
Dont know the value of tea etc when we ought to be drinking beer or bourbon... Remember we'll have visitors and may not want to supply them all with our good hooch. (Where is the AI-132 when you need him?)

We think we're pretty well planned (think being operative word) at this point and will true up there.

Woo Hoo! It's Hallett.

BlueFirePony
06-20-2017, 03:56 PM
*UPDATE 2*
... There may be a need for some "other" heating/oven facilities if you are so inclined to offer.
If someone has room they can take one or more of our "facilities". We've got a wide variety: the Okey Joe if you need a fullsize, the standup is versatile, large and smallish grills, the small propane IR is nice for some quick grilling and roasting turkey/chicken/etc. and takes very little room. Let me know.
I've also got a couple, three briskets and a hiney worth of rump roasts if you are running short on meat. We butchered one of our cows and need to clear out a freezer or two anyway ;)

rleng1
06-21-2017, 01:25 PM
Woo Hoo! It's Hallett.[/QUOTE]

That would be WAHOO!!! It's Hallett.

Pranav
06-22-2017, 04:18 PM
Haven't picked up plates cups silverware FYI, Walmart or is someone making a Costco run?

marshall_mosty
06-22-2017, 09:25 PM
I have a few "variety" cakes

Pranav
06-22-2017, 11:43 PM
I picked up plates, cups, some napkins, silverware assortment along with a bag of chips and some of those "fake" cookies Marshall always bring that we demolish.

Pranav
06-26-2017, 12:38 PM
Huge thanks to the OIF crew and everyone else that brought/made such tasty, good food out this weekend.

I'm still dreaming about dem midnight ribs.

ShadowBolt
06-26-2017, 12:42 PM
Huge thanks to the OIF crew and everyone else that brought/made such tasty, good food out this weekend.

I'm still dreaming about dem midnight ribs.

I was dreaming when you were eating midnight ribs.

JJ

marshall_mosty
06-26-2017, 05:43 PM
The OIF guys really know how to put on a show.. Even with the other group bailing out on cooking for the weekend, the OIF guys pumped out enough to keep everyone fed. The ribs were awesome as usual and the stories told were awesome.

Thanks to everyone for going with the modified R3 grid... that was a "last minute" decision Saturday night... LOL

Fbody383
06-26-2017, 07:32 PM
3 Briskets - about 50lbs, duh... Rub 2.0.
6 chickens - with Sean's Stormtrooper Whiskey marinade and Rub 2.0
5lbs of sausage
13 racks of ribs - in case you forgot, sauced with Sweet Baby Rays, Stubb's Sweet Heat, and Stubb's Sticky Sweet
Martin sized world famous cheesy potatoes
Ole English beans
Toolbreaker bread/butter/cookies
Mosty Magic Buffalo Chicken dip
Down Under Jalapeno poppers
Pranav and others for plates/bowls/napkins/plastic ware
Some green beans, po-ta-to salad, dinner rolls, nanner puddin, and the list goes on.

Thanks to everyone for the thanks - if you talk to somebody outside AI/CMC let them know that if the weather was expected to be in the low 80s we wouldn't have had a head cook and THEY'D be watching US eat.

Oh, and the next guy(s) that asks for BBQ sauce for his brisket... "Give me the plate... Now get out."

Give Sean another "thank you" for making sure it all came together. And the Mosty Brother's Racing team for loaning a smoker and making a beer/ice/cooler run.

OIF Cooking Team
Sean Richardson
Paul Culp
Scott James
Randy LeForce - buddy of mine I've worked with that now raises Herefords in Enid.
CMC39

On a side note... before you offer to pay your "debt" with ribs... be sure to see what it's gonna cost you in advance.

BlueFirePony
06-26-2017, 09:36 PM
Oh, and the next guy(s) that asks for BBQ sauce for his brisket... "Give me the plate... Now get out."

With Rub 2.0? sauce?!!? Damn that next guy(s) gonna wear the manties too!

Wootten
06-27-2017, 01:58 PM
OMG - so damned good. I've ordered a Traeger just to try to replicate that brisket.

Thanks for all your hard work. I'll donate my "Itty-Bitty Briskets" to ya'll's freezers as a "thank you."

Fbody383
06-28-2017, 10:49 AM
My buddy Randy said at one point he counted 82-85 people in/at/around the carport.

MikeP99Z
08-03-2017, 06:44 PM
On a side note... before you offer to pay your "debt" with ribs... be sure to see what it's gonna cost you in advance.

Serve noted, volley returned...

Fbody383
08-04-2017, 12:08 PM
Serve noted, volley returned... I must LOL. What page was that even on? Glad we could help.

MikeP99Z
08-04-2017, 01:30 PM
NASA Speed News, page 64.