PDA

View Full Version : LT1 motor with Canton pan

Pranav
07-31-2017, 05:36 PM
Got this motor I bought off Sean last Summer and ran for one weekend at Hallett before I gave up on optisparks.

Sean had built it and test started it once, but it didn't get used until I put it in my car.

It's a 0.020 over motor with ls7 lifters, guide plates, hardened pushrods and good bearings.

Came in at above 80% leakdown on the engine stand on dry cylinders and produced a clean oil filter after hallett. Ran great before I pulled for the ls swap.

This weekend I'm going to pull the Canton pan and HV pump before loading it in the back of the truck and dumping it on CL.

$1200 with the canton setup.

Still got tons of LT1 odds/ends that I haven't had time to go through yet.

Pranav
08-03-2017, 10:05 AM
Forgot to mention, it's a 4 bolt main block!

C'mon don't make me push a stripped down motor off the back of my truck in a low income area in Houston!

Fbody383
08-04-2017, 12:10 PM
Who's left with an LT1 anyway?

((... so at charity time maybe we can find a home for it ...))

drecords
08-04-2017, 09:54 PM
Forgot to mention, it's a 4 bolt main block!

C'mon don't make me push a stripped down motor off the back of my truck in a low income area in Houston!

If you decide to do this I know just the place...

Pranav
01-21-2018, 05:21 PM
Still sitting on the stand, I'm finally going to get this pan off next week and get the motor moved if anyone either wants the motor+pan or just the pan/pickup/pump.

centerville
01-22-2018, 09:01 PM
I am curious as this is less than the spec carb parts for my 305. Any advantage to do this over the spec carb? I am guessing I would need a new ecu for this. Thoughts?

Fbody383
01-23-2018, 11:33 AM
I am curious as this is less than the spec carb parts for my 305. Any advantage to do this over the spec carb? I am guessing I would need a new ecu for this. Thoughts? Yes, an LT1 ECU. And wiring harness - Painfull... or maybe Howell: https://howellefi.com/product/2016-lt1-camaro-manual-transmission-wiring-harness/

Sean can help opine on the project since his 3rd gen has been transformed.

Sook
01-23-2018, 02:30 PM
Yes, an LT1 ECU. And wiring harness - Painfull... or maybe Howell: https://howellefi.com/product/2016-lt1-camaro-manual-transmission-wiring-harness/

Sean can help opine on the project since his 3rd gen has been transformed.

The howell harnesses are really nice. Easy to install and good documentation.

- Josh

Pranav
01-23-2018, 02:52 PM
If you really want to buy my LT1 for your third gen, I still have the harness for it as well. It's better than Howell or Painless, made by Techrods.

I have had zero issues with it and went back to Techrods for my LS1 harness as well.

Let's chat if you want, but my suggestion would be to save the $ on spec carb parts, just run it as is until you are ready for the 5.3 swap.

Sean can give you lots of good advice on making the 5.3 work well in a third gen.

Fbody383
01-23-2018, 03:55 PM
went back to Techrods for my LS1 harness as well. I don't know if it's better than Howell but certainly cheaper.

Might be a good call to run an event or two with the current setup while you pile up cash. You can always spend money.

Sook
01-23-2018, 05:46 PM
Let's chat if you want, but my suggestion would be to save the $ on spec carb parts, just run it as is until you are ready for the 5.3 swap.

^Agreed.

Based on my (somewhat limited) experience, I would say if you have an LT1 run it as long as you can and then do a 5.3 swap. I would not suggesting doing a fresh LT1 swap at this point. The LS base is so much easier to work with, diagnose issues long term, and the internet knowledge base is uuuuuge.

Once LT1s start having inexplicable issues, you end up throwing optis at it every weekend and wasting your money on entry fees. It gets old when you're in the double digits for swapping optis.

- Josh

Pranav
01-23-2018, 06:01 PM
Yep, LT1s only belong in engine bays that already had an LT1 at this point. 5.3 is the way to go.

centerville
01-23-2018, 08:27 PM
Yep, LT1s only belong in engine bays that already had an LT1 at this point. 5.3 is the way to go.

Thanks everyone for your input. ^I think this summed it up best^

I am not looking forward to the ls swap money wise. That's almost what I paid for the car. As soon as the cobra is gone I can get started on all the leaks on the 305. Cars are not made to sit for 6 years.

Thanks again guys.

BryanL
01-25-2018, 12:28 PM
I am curious as this is less than the spec carb parts for my 305. Any advantage to do this over the spec carb? I am guessing I would need a new ecu for this. Thoughts?

Check with Gary as he converted his 3rd gen to an LT1. I would go with the 5.3 though.

Pranav
01-25-2018, 12:31 PM
Yeah I would keep an eye out.

For the 5.3 the only real pain points are rebuilding the motor if necessary, the harness, front end accessories, and oil pan/pump/pickup/oil plumbing if needed. I'm under the impression that truck accessories work better for the 3rd gen than the camaro accessories; if that is the case you will save a ton of money as you can get plenty of complete pull outs with accessories for cheap.

If you're able to find a clean motor with a known history all you should need are upgraded valve springs/locks/retainers. If you can pull the heads and give them a quick valve job and head prep, then go for better lifters too.