PDA

View Full Version : TWS closed

Pranav
09-01-2017, 03:40 PM
This was just emailed out via clubregistration or PDS.

Not sure if NASA will attempt to schedule another track or if MSRH is our season ender, we should hear soon I assume.

I just received a phone call from Bill Mather letting me know that TWS is suspending all track events for the remainder of 2017. Lack of interest in the 1.8 configuration by clubs, and other issues have caused him to come to this decision.

Thank you for your loyalty to the PDS program over the years. Our students and instructors, along with the leadership of the program over the years (of which Pam and I have been a part of for a very short time), have developed a program and a community that is a joy to be a part of.

PDS will continue. As Joey gets plans underway, I will keep you posted.

ShadowBolt
09-01-2017, 04:39 PM
This was just emailed out via clubregistration or PDS.

Not sure if NASA will attempt to schedule another track or if MSRH is our season ender, we should hear soon I assume.

I just saw that on FB. Rick from the Drivers Edge said the track is closed as of now.

JJ

JMR81
09-01-2017, 05:44 PM
Joey posted this afternoon that it was officially closed. Owners are going to use it to store flooded cars from houston

Pranav
09-02-2017, 03:16 PM
I also saw some pics showing that a huge landslide went over the barrier and all over the front straight coming out of t15.

Now we really can't blame them for taking the easy option by storing flood cars there for $$$ vs trying clean up that mess and barely skate by with the 1.8 no one wants to run.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/BVSzG3zBSU2hKcy03

RichardP
10-10-2017, 09:23 AM
I'm sure many of you have seen what has become of TWS but if you haven't, the pictures are pretty amazing. TWS has never been so busy, and there is much sadness...

Richard P.

AllZWay
10-10-2017, 10:19 AM
It is amazing that this is just one of three sites apparently with all the damaged cars. I wonder how many are actually at TWS.

BryanL
10-10-2017, 10:43 AM
yeah Jay sent me a youtube video. I have heard the dragstrip in Baytown is another place-didn't know there were three. I wondered how/who is keeping track of all of them. Then how/when they would be auctioned off. Wonder if they would try to do it onsite instead of spending hundred grands on towing.
I need a 2001-2006 BMW 330

cjlmlml
10-10-2017, 10:51 AM
search copart

mach1
10-10-2017, 11:53 AM
If $8 per car per day is true, they are printing money housing these cars!

drecords
10-10-2017, 05:37 PM
yeah Jay sent me a youtube video. I have heard the dragstrip in Baytown is another place-didn't know there were three. I wondered how/who is keeping track of all of them. Then how/when they would be auctioned off. Wonder if they would try to do it onsite instead of spending hundred grands on towing.
I need a 2001-2006 BMW 330

Just what would you be planning to do with this?? Spec E46???

Al Fernandez
10-11-2017, 05:53 AM
Bet there's a pile of perfectly good LS motors in there...

Supercharged111
10-11-2017, 09:35 AM
Spec Corvette! They're firing that up in CA. 200TW tires in a C5 Corvette, LS6 power (380whp), insane discounts on the basics like brake kits, shocks, and stuff. Pretty limited class though. Price wise I think it'd fit in between CMC and AI. Oh, and no aero. By the sounds of things it wouldn't be a 13/13 class either, tire donuts would be acceptable. :cool:

cjlmlml
10-11-2017, 10:29 AM
Spec Corvette! They're firing that up in CA. 200TW tires in a C5 Corvette, LS6 power (380whp), insane discounts on the basics like brake kits, shocks, and stuff. Pretty limited class though. Price wise I think it'd fit in between CMC and AI. Oh, and no aero. By the sounds of things it wouldn't be a 13/13 class either, tire donuts would be acceptable. :cool:

wasn't there something between cmc & AI that they came out with already????

Not bitter or anything

Supercharged111
10-11-2017, 11:40 AM
This one is happenstance, not intentional. No manufacturer contingencies, just a bunch of aftermarket companies willing to cut some killer deals on their parts. Like Falken Azenis 615 for something on the order of half price. Still out of my budget to build a car, but a flood car might make a good base.

BryanL
10-11-2017, 12:54 PM
wasn't there something between cmc & AI that they came out with already????

Not bitter or anything

Are you talking about the old AI before it became Spec S197? Or CMC2 before it became Mustang Challenge? (been too long and couldn't resist since I won't be at the track till next year)

Thought there are 7 SI cars at the East Coast Nats.

Spec Corvette does sound interesting if they truly keep it limited and on a tire that last a season. I like Spec E46 but don't think they did a good job of limiting things to keep spending in check. Why would you spec out an allowed $3,200 set of wheels and a $5,000 diff when you aren't even allowed to upgrade the brakes. Just doesn't make sense when the premium build cost of parts only is $27k.

Don't think we realize how spoiled we are with how good CMC really is when you look elsewhere.

What is a 13/13 class?

Don't know what a 13/13 class is?

WutApex
10-12-2017, 04:06 AM
What is a 13/13 class?

Non-13/13: expectation that minor rubbing may occur...likely considered a racing incident (CMC, SM, SpecE30, etc.)
13/13: expectation of no contact (GTS, SPB, etc.)

At least that's how I've understood it...

DAlgozine
10-12-2017, 09:17 AM
What is a 13/13 class?

Its roots come from vintage racing, however, other classes use it. To summarize, they are pretty strict about any type of contact

Driver Conduct and the 13/13 Rule
All drivers are subject to the VDCA 13/13 driver conduct rule. The VDCA 13/13 Rule states that if you are involved in an incident that causes damage to your car or that of another competitor, you can be excluded from the remainder of that event. Further, you may be excluded from future VDCA events or placed on probation for a period of up to 13 months. Additional incidents occurring during a period of probation may result in further exclusions and/or an extended period of probation.

cjlmlml
10-12-2017, 11:33 AM
Are you talking about the old AI before it became Spec S197? Or CMC2 before it became Mustang Challenge? (been too long and couldn't resist since I won't be at the track till next year)

What is a 13/13 class?

Was referring to spec iron

AllZWay
10-12-2017, 01:47 PM

I have been following them on FB. Could be a good class if they can truly control cost.

Pranav
10-12-2017, 04:32 PM
Yeah it looks slick.

There are still some "gotcha" costs on the c5 like trying to rebuild that transaxle and stuff like that, but great class overall.

Supercharged111
10-13-2017, 10:47 AM
Yeah it looks slick.

There are still some "gotcha" costs on the c5 like trying to rebuild that transaxle and stuff like that, but great class overall.

To be clear it's a T56 and a separate diff so not a true transaxle and not much, if any more expensive to rebuild than a Camaro T56 unless you're paying labor to have it removed and installed.

Storm Trooper
10-13-2017, 10:59 AM
Where do I find more information about this series?

Supercharged111
10-13-2017, 01:26 PM
Where do I find more information about this series?

Look at me being a shitty CMC director plugging another series.

http://speccorvette.com/

mach1
10-13-2017, 04:23 PM
To be clear it's a T56 and a separate diff so not a true transaxle and not much, if any more expensive to rebuild than a Camaro T56 unless you're paying labor to have it removed and installed.

True, I had a C5 Z06 and lots of friends with vettes, almost all of them have blown up the transaxle (the diff part) and it's a bitch to deal with. I think there are lots of corvette taxes in a racing series, still pretty neat though!
Also, torque tube, driveshaft donut things, more headaches.

RichardP
10-13-2017, 05:32 PM
True, I had a C5 Z06 and lots of friends with vettes, almost all of them have blown up the transaxle (the diff part) and it's a bitch to deal with. I think there are lots of corvette taxes in a racing series, still pretty neat though!

How many of these issues go away with low grip tires? Sticky race rubber hurts the bottom line in so many ways...

Richard P

BryanL
10-13-2017, 05:42 PM
380 rwhp with 200 tread tires just made Procter buy a vette. Be like driving in the dirt making turns both ways.

Supercharged111
10-14-2017, 12:00 AM

Surprisingly few on the road racing world blow them up, and they love to run screaming hot with the lack of airflow. My torque tube is in need of a rebuild at the moment but that's cheaper to do than buy a used TT. A lot of the Corvette taxea are eliminated in this series, but I don't think his page does a good job of depicting that. Most of the afternarket mods are a solid 50% off of what is listed online. The real trick is to snatch up a lowish mileage coupe for 10-12k that has a solid motor and trans, the 6 speed part can sometimes require patience. I have a C5Z06 Commemorative Edition so I definitely have a soft spot for these cars.

AllZWay
10-16-2017, 07:54 AM
380 rwhp with 200 tread tires just made Procter buy a vette. Be like driving in the dirt making turns both ways.

That would be fun. :D