PDA

View Full Version : protect your race car for the next few days

ShadowBolt
01-15-2018, 05:25 PM
A full gallon of antifreeze in the 55. I have a magnetic block heater for a tractor but if we get the ice storm they are saying is possible it will not save the car if power is gone.

JJ

drecords
01-15-2018, 11:18 PM
Put a 1/2 gallon in 34 during the last freezepocalypse. Not looking forward to flushing it in a week.

Sook
01-16-2018, 04:42 PM
Is there a real reason to flush it before the first race? It's possible that it might freeze again through February.

- Josh

Sook
01-16-2018, 04:49 PM
OK, so there is a real reason:

6.25.7 The only engine coolant allowed shall be water. Water additives such as
Redline Water Wetter may be used.

I've got water wetter in mine, I just put a light bulb under the hood for this freeze.

Pranav
01-16-2018, 06:31 PM
I'm running my block heater now, but Jerry makes a good point if we lost power and I was out of town.

Maybe just draining the water out is the best way.

ShadowBolt
01-16-2018, 08:45 PM
I'm running my block heater now, but Jerry makes a good point if we lost power and I was out of town.

Maybe just draining the water out is the best way.

Unless you have petcocks in the block it's not all that easy to drain completely.

JJ

Supercharged111
01-16-2018, 08:50 PM
We're typically allowed antifreeze here for the first and last events as freezing temps overnight are typical in April and sometimes October. Jerry if you put a full gallon in there and warmed the car up to circulate it you're fine. Mine sat in the trailer last winter with a gallon and it got below zero for a bit here. My garage is attached, you guys don't have heated garages?

Sook
01-16-2018, 09:28 PM
you guys don't have heated garages?

A/C'd garage is more important here, and mine isn't :(

ShadowBolt
01-16-2018, 10:02 PM
We're typically allowed antifreeze here for the first and last events as freezing temps overnight are typical in April and sometimes October. Jerry if you put a full gallon in there and warmed the car up to circulate it you're fine. Mine sat in the trailer last winter with a gallon and it got below zero for a bit here. My garage is attached, you guys don't have heated garages?

I usually only use a half gallon but was worried about the 12 to 14 degrees we are supposed to have in the morning.

JJ

centerville
01-16-2018, 10:16 PM
I have been fine with temps in the upper teens and a heater on the block. Now 10-12 in the morning, wow. Correction 9 this morning at my house.

Supercharged111
01-17-2018, 01:06 PM
A/C'd garage is more important here, and mine isn't :(

I hear that, mine has neither but receives inherent heat by being attached to the house. It generally doesn't get as cold here as people think. In fact, I have yet to touch my shovel this "winter". Another thing to point out is that a small amount of antifreeze can prevent a hard freeze as well, i.e. the half gallon is likely still sufficient to prevent a freeze related explosion in above zero weather. Better to be safe than sorry though. I had a pucker moment last winter when I left town with the car in the trailer and it was 10 below out as I couldn't remember if I'd added antifreeze or not.